1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Friendly Local Tournament

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Army Lists' started by Padre, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Padre
    Stegadon

Padre Well-Known Member

I've been invited to a small friendly 8th ed. tournament with some friends on Saturday. I'm planning on taking this list. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Slann (General)
    -Wandering Deliberations
    -Soul of Stone
    -BSB w/ Standard of Discipline

Oldblood
    -Cold One
    -Fencers Blades and Glittering Scales

2 lvl 2 Skink Priests (Beasts)
    -Cube and Scroll

Skink Chief
    -Ancient Stegadon
    -light armor, shield, spear
    -Stegadon helm

40 Saurus with Full Command

2x 10 Skirmishers w/ leader

21 Temple Guard with Full Command
    -Banner of Eternal Flame
    -Sword of Might

Bastilladon

2x Salamanders

I've got a couple other ideas, but I think this is what I'm going with. Also I'm hoping to post batreps if I remember to take pictures.

2. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

No sharpened horns for the Steg?

3. Padre
    Stegadon

Padre Well-Known Member

Didn't have the points. I suppose I could drop the magic weapon on the temple guard and buff the stegadon.

4. Padre
    Stegadon

Padre Well-Known Member

After some thinking and realizations, I made a couple changes to the list.

First, I dropped the skink chief. I realized the stegadon helm IH would not be at S6 like the ancient stegadon. I also added both upgrades to the stegadon, dropping the magic weapon on the Temple Guardian.

Second, I replaced the Saurus Oldblood with a Scar Veteran on Cold One with a GW and the Armor of Destiny. Finally, I added a small unit of 5 Cold One Riders with a banner. I wanted another banner as scenario insurance. Tactically, I plan to use them to hunt war machines, mages and other heroes, and chaff. We'll see how it works out.

5. Padre
    Stegadon

Padre Well-Known Member

Ended up going 0-2 today. The first game was against Vampire Counts. Game was going ok, just jockeying around and some skirmishes, when my slaan miscast on a 3 dice spell, rolled a three and got sucked into the warp. The rest of the game went ok, but I never recovered. I ended up killing more of my points than he did.

Second game was against Dwarves. Meeting engagement setup with unit going into reserves on a 1. The only unit that went in reserves was my slaan and bodyguard. It was over on top of turn 1. He seized initiative on me. Both big dinos were one-shot by his cannons. One of the salamanders was bombed to death by a gyrocopter. Both skink skirmisher units panicked or broke from shooting. His first turn could not have gone more perfectly.

I tried to make a game of it, but it was too little, too late. My skink priest who got Transformation of Kadon six-diced it and killed half his hammers unit. My one remaining salamander pulled off a flank charge into his organ gun, ate it over two turns, then charged his flame cannon. That was about all that went right.

Overall it was a fun day, despite the result. But I think I'm going to go back to running orcs for the next one.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018