1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

From the jungle comes...

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Rikard, Feb 28, 2012.

1. elmoheadbutt
    Cold One

elmoheadbutt New Member

Re: Next AOW lizardman

Is that club tail? In regards to the hand, I think an open palm touching the ground would look good IMO.

2. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

so far so good! i really like the... beast like quality of the sculpt. it feels very feral and ferocious. just as it should :)

3. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

Yep, club tails are popular and so leaving them out (especially on a spiky lizardman) would be a crime.

@Caprasauridae
    Who knows, perhaps with the next LM book (whenever it comes out) Kroxigors will be strength 5 again.
    To be honest a little of this sculpt is based of a character idea I had a while back though I never thought I'd get to sculpt it.

I could post rules but haven't found a suitable place to post them.

@Lord T
    Thank you, hopefully things will just get better as this keeps going, but so far it's been very promising in terms of feedback.

4. Craken
    Carnasaur

Craken Well-Known Member

So this one will be on the scale of a kroxigor again? Was hopping it was suitable for a saurus on foot. Anyways looks great, hope to see more. PS why do you not post on Deviant anymore?

5. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

It will be Kroxigor sized though the head could fit on a saurus.

The big issue I have with saurus is it's hard to sculpting something that ranks up (ok probably a lame excuse but I've always found that to be an issue, not enough room for movement or something dynamic).

I do still post on deviantart, just don't have the old account.

6. PossumCraft
    Skink

PossumCraft New Member

If the tail is still in question, I've always wanted a lizardman with a tail like a uromastyx (my pet Tecko is badass) which looks like this http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?um=1...dsp=25&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:22,i:214&tx=103&ty=73

Uromastyx IS spiny tailed lizard, so its just so awesome. I was planning to sculpt a kroxi with one for my own lizzies.

with your sculpt I'm not really sure on the double ended weapon. TBH it looks too much like those sponge clubs in Gladiators. I'd go more for a one handed weapon looking like he's on the end of a really strong swing.

7. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

8. elmoheadbutt
    Cold One

elmoheadbutt New Member

I vote for the ankylosaur tail. If any creature defines toughness, it is the ankylosaurs. The fat tail would look better on a salamander IMO.

No? It's just me then...

9. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

@PossumCraft

Bear in mind that this is still a WIP, the weapon is not finished yet, I added it to the mini so I could get a good idea of how it would balance the mini, as well as allowing me to sculpt the hands.

The tail looks nice, but to be honest it's a bit over done.

You can go too heavy with detail on a mini and the end result means you are left with no room to do any kind of in depth detail painting or free hand work.

@elmoheadbutt

I copy styles but definitely for this mini I don't want any direct translations from dinosaurs. So far I've had more positive feedback about this piece than any other lizardman I have ever sculpted. One of the main reasons behind this (from what people have said) is that it looks like a Lizardman, without being a dino-human hybrid.

10. Craken
    Carnasaur

Craken Well-Known Member

Right on, yeah I understand the base size doesn't leave much creative space. What's your new deviant id so I can watch you there?

11. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

It's http://backsackandjack.deviantart.com/

12. Craken
    Carnasaur

Craken Well-Known Member

Sweet, thanks

13. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

I've continued with the Lizardman, he's mounted on a large monster base for the moment, I just hope he doesn't end up being too big.

AUT_1710.jpg
    AUT_1711.jpg

14. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

^^^ Dude, that is f***ing awesome. This guy is an army centerpiece.

Man, I haven't caught up on this thread for awhile. Still love it.

15. Kharn The Betrayer
    Razordon

Kharn The Betrayer New Member

I have never seen your art.... My only question..... Do you do commission sculpting? If so id love to get a sweet new skink priest :)

16. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

No, commission work is a pain, it takes up too much time and isn't worth the trouble it causes.

17. PossumCraft
    Skink

PossumCraft New Member

He's looking really epic!

What kind of quality do you expect to get when he's cast up in metal? Will the majority of detail be preserved?

18. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

It should be, if something has very light detail it either means it has to be resin cast, or simply not cast at all.

More photos,

Hopefully cleaned up a few bits, though you will still see edges and lines where green stuff joins, these will get cleaned up or covered when additional bits and pieces (such as ornaments) are added.

At the moment he's just sitting on the base as I had to remove it to sculpt parts like the spikes on the tail and thighs.
    I'm not planning on adding any more spikes though, I think that would be overkill, hopefully where it is at the moment is the right sort of balance.

AUT_1712.jpg
    AUT_1713.jpg
    AUT_1714.jpg

19. gilljoy
    Jungle Swarm

gilljoy New Member

Man this looks absolutely fantastic, I'm literally throwing my money at my monitor.

You should totally talk to the guys at AoW about doing a plastic kit of guys like this for Krox proxys like they've done with there warriors of chaos guys. I for one would buy a few boxes

20. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

T`hinker`er Active Member

He's looking great! Every time I see this I just hear "Hulk Smash!" in my head :)

Wondering how he will rank up with skinks. Is the lower jaw cocked slightly to one side or is that just the camera angle?