1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The April Poetry Contest has opened for voting! For more information, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

KoW Gekkotoah

Discussion in 'Salamanders Discussion' started by Lord-Marcus, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Lord-Marcus
    Carnasaur

Lord-Marcus Well-Known Member

@Crowsfoot I summon thee.

Is MSU of gekko warriors good? Troops or regiments?

2. Tecuani
    Saurus

Tecuani Member

In my experience, the poor Melee and dreadful defence of Ghekkotah keeps them from being good as anything except a not-particularly cheap distraction/objective runner. The large number of attacks means they can make an impact against soft targets, but they bounce right off anything with a decent defence, and a hindered charge penalty sidelines them completely. Defensively, the combination of defence 3+ *and* a dreadful nerve of 12/14 for a regiment means they are beyond simply fragile-any attack, however small, is a serious threat.
    Overall, they are a support unit, not a serious fighter, and that means they only do well when they have stronger units to support.

3. Lord-Marcus
    Carnasaur

so regiments as chaff in front of units of sallies, to keep unlocks rolling?

4. Rapax
    Skink

Rapax Member

I only use them as chaff, and only in troop size to keep them as cheap as possible. If they get a flank they can do some damage, but at 70 points I don't expect them to. I am generally not concerned with unlocks, as I tend to bring enough hordes of Primes, Fire Elementals and (occasionally) Ancients on Rhinosaurs. If unlocks are a problem then I guess paying an extra 30 point to bring the Ghekkotah up to regiment size wouldn't be that bad.

I would not, however, try to go MSU with the Salamander army.

5. classicflava
    Cold One

classicflava Active Member

Once their attacks are bumped to 40 a horde of ghekkos with hammer of immesurable force is something i want to try. 40 attacks hitting on 5's and wounding on 4's rerolling 1's is not bad

Lord-Marcus likes this.
  6. Lord-Marcus
    Carnasaur

At the very least it's a load of dice to throw

7. classicflava
    Cold One

classicflava Active Member

maths out to around 13 hits and 8 wounds regardless of what def you are going against. thats a good can opener

8. Itepixcauh
    Ripperdactil

Itepixcauh Well-Known Member

I use Ghekkotah in two sizes, troops as chaff and flankers (maybe even objective grabbers) and a Horde with the hammer for some VERY reliable damage output against anything.

But using them as MSU? Not sure, it might work but it's not my style