1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Contest Golden Serpent 2016

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by The Red Devil, May 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. little-myth
    Carnasaur

little-myth Well-Known Member

Many thanks :)

2. BeardyGecko
    Ripperdactil

BeardyGecko Well-Known Member

I can see my WIP photo already...

[​IMG]

Otzi'mandias, n810, Jorgik and 4 others like this.
  3. The Red Devil
    Stegadon

The Red Devil Defender of Hexoatl Staff Member

Good catch, I have updated the instructions. Thanks!

It is one entry per category, though please note that "Painting - Open" category is only for non Lizardmen / Seraphon / Saurian Ancients and Salamanders models.

"Conversion - Open" is for all models.

The deadline is end of the day July 31st 2016. I hope that making it two months will give everyone plenty of time to get their entry completed.

Yes, please do :)

The voting will be for anonymous entries, this is to make certain people dont vote on an entry just due to member X created it. So it should not be an issue for any of you entering.

Yes, you can enter the "Painting" categories with it (which, depends what type of model it is). Just take the WIP picture before you start adding any more paint to it.

For the "Conversion" category, the WIP picture has to while it is being converted.

I have updated the competition information to clarify this.

Yes, you can enter the "Painting" categories with it (which, depends what type of model it is).

That is why we need to make certain to spread the knowledge of the competition to everyone that could have an interest of entering, if anyone visit other forums make certain to let them know about the competition.

The more entries we have, and publicity our sponsors get, the higher the chance of us getting more prizes next year as well. In addition, we might even get some new community members that stay behind after the competition is completed as well!

Feel free to enter the competition with the model your painting for the prize.

This is the spirit we are looking for! :artist:

Yes, but currently there is no real benefit. Ill try a last round of lobbying and see if I cant manage to get some additional prizes to add a Diorama category as well.

I am not sure, would depend on what type of diorama and what it showcase I guess. Though as mentioned above right now there is no real benefit of making one, other than doing it is awesome :shamefullyembarrased:

Good question, I dont know, let me think some on it.

That was the idea, but I see how this can perhaps be to few. Changed the rules to say between three to six pictures (minimum three).

little-myth, Jorgik, Bowser and 2 others like this.
  4. SlanntaClause
    Carnasaur

SlanntaClause Well-Known Member

I think a fairer random draw should be 1 per person - but in terms of encouraging more entries per category then one for each entry might boost competition.

Bracnos and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  5. Phoedinn
    Razordon

Phoedinn Well-Known Member

I agree with @SlanntaClause . One draw per entry would certainly encourage people entering into multiple categories! The more entries the better :)

6. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

@The Red Devil : Quick question, for the "Conversion - Open" category, should the entries be unpainted? Will they be judged purely on the conversion/sculpting or does painting play a factor as well?

Phoedinn and Bracnos like this.
  7. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

I would say the conversion/sculpt is the important part but pics of the model before and after conversion should be included.

8. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

But should the entry be painted? Conversions are often best viewed when unprimed/unpainted. And if they are to painted, how are the entries to be judged in terms of conversion skill/execution vs. painting skill/execution?

9. eron12
    Saurus

eron12 Active Member

Thanks for boosting the picture number, I think up to six does a better job of showing off a model.

I think the conversion contest should be unpainted, otherwise it just turns into another painting contest.

So I've seen a lot of comments about the painting, who else is excited for the conversion category?

10. SlanntaClause
    Carnasaur

My understanding that it was all a painting competition and that the conversion category was just to paint a converted model. Judging by others response I am wrong

11. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Going back before this contest was launched, me @neveroddoreven and @Xlanax_lot were going to do a comp but we were asked by @The Red Devil to incorporate our comp, so I think we are judging this category and if so the painting won't be judged just the conversion.

But you can paint it if you want.

Xlanax_lot and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  12. SlanntaClause
    Carnasaur

Yeah I read it wrong its a conversion category - so at least that avoided a mistake later down the line :p

Phoedinn likes this.
  13. Phoedinn
    Razordon

Me! I'm already getting bits together and planning out a new conversion for the contest :) It's a great chance to try something more ambitious!

tom ndege and SlanntaClause like this.
  14. The Red Devil
    Stegadon

The Red Devil Defender of Hexoatl Staff Member

I am wondering if the best solution is allow up to two draw entries per person, where either of the Painting categories will count for one draw entry, and Conversion will count for one draw entry. That way there is an initiative to both convert a model and paint a model.

What do you guys think?

No, I believe the best approach here is that all images is with the model unpainted and unprimed.

Then after you have entered the model in the conversion category, you can paint it and enter it into the painting category if you want. That way you can enter two categories with the same model.

15. SlanntaClause
    Carnasaur

I think this is the best solution I'm happy for this to be the rule

NIGHTBRINGER, Jorgik and Phoedinn like this.
  16. Phoedinn
    Razordon

That would be good actually. I guess then it would be easier to see what was sculpted and what was plastic. Then you could see what skills were actually used.

And I think I agree with two draws. It's probably more feasible that people would do one conversion and one painting entry anyway.

NIGHTBRINGER and SlanntaClause like this.
  17. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Yeah good idea ;)

18. Bracnos
    Carnasaur

Bracnos Well-Known Member

1, we have two months wow I thought it was just one month yaaa:D
    2, aw why did I have to prime my deamon:( I could have used him for the conversion, now I have to think of a new guy...:banghead::banghead: aw I even primed my carnosuar and the EOG guy in working on aahhh:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Jorgik and SlanntaClause like this.
  19. Crowsfoot
    Slann

But you have WIP pictures?

Jorgik likes this.
  20. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

More questions arise! Sorry @The Red Devil ;)
    So does this mean that we are not allowed to post WIP pictures in our personal blogs until the end of the voting of the competition? Or is it just that the models will have no user name attached to them?

Also...
    That´s how it happened to me with the sculpting competition to which I actually didn´t take part at the end :p

+1

So looking forward to this!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.