1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Greek Lizardmen total army conversion

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by ZaGreekie, May 21, 2012.

1. ZaGreekie
    Chameleon Skink

ZaGreekie Active Member

Greetings feeling lizardmen!

Bit of back story on myself, i use to play lizards up until 6 years ago, it was my first army and i loved them even when i got new army's i always came back to my lizardmen, in the end i think i totalled around a 10k point army. i stoped plying becouse i moved to South africa, and then i started my own game development studio, and well i never realy had time to ever start it up again.

So now i just moved to Barcelona spain and well some one in my studio told me i need to get a hobby im working and stressing way to much. so it hit my, im in a city with GW stores! so i when down to my local store and well... i tried so hard to convince myself to play a new army but inside i am a servant of the old ones till the day i die.

BUT I though IF i am going to be doing lizard men again i need to do something different or els its just to much repetition. so seeing as i am a extremly patriotic greek, and when you are living outside of your home country you get even more patriotic, i decided to make a greek themed lizardmen army!

And well i just started this project but i though i would like to share it with other spawn-kin :)

So my first idea for a addition for Greek like shields. and my first attempt was to use chaos marroder shields:

And as you can see here they are just WAY to small for our superior Saurus Warroirs.

But in my opinion they fit quite well on the skins.

I also thought that the Strandred bearer is a good play to add some over the top patriatisum. also you can see my scar vet conversion, i saw the model for a dark eldar somthing or other that was a snake, and i though it would be a great base for a conversion. also as you can see i scraped the sheild for the larger sarus and made one by hand out of green stuff but as this is very practical for a entire army im still working on a better solution.

Thanks for reading my post! really look foreword to making more coldblooded friends :) this is still fairly early in development but im really exited to be back!

p.s. please forgive my spelling i am dyslexic as hell and english is my 4th language.

2. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Welcome back to the hobby. I'm interested to see how your army theme develops. Looking good so far. How did you create the standard? Is it printed? Very patriotic. Is that a self portrait on it as well? :p

3. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the forum and back to the hobby. Those conversions look great. I love the standard and the shield.

4. ZaGreekie
    Chameleon Skink

ZaGreekie Active Member

yes the standerd and sheild icon are printed im playing around with decals this was my first test.

and yes this is a self portrate of me, its the look on my face when my ancient stegadon with a chief and the stegadon war-spear get a charge off in the flank and and i rool a 4 and a 6 for the impacts xD

5. elmoheadbutt
    Cold One

elmoheadbutt New Member

Wow nice colours. I esp. like the TG's weapon. Well done!

6. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Very cool converted army.

p.s. please forgive my spelling i am dyslexic as hell and english is my FIRST language. :shifty:

7. ZaGreekie
    Chameleon Skink

ZaGreekie Active Member

I must admit speeking to feeling spawn kin is very motivating!!!! I'm use to being the only coldblood xD

So right now im working on my slann, now as you all know and i remember from before the slann the the cleer plastic thing is ANOYING AS HELL at least for me it always broke and was just a pain.

so i though i would have a bit of fun with the base for my slann, so here is the conversion as it is coming currently.

also here is my slann himself:

Fun fact, the very first battle i played with this guy just a fun 1500p game with my army mostly not even primed yet... first turn... first spell the slann casts... misscast........

THATS RIGHT THE FIRST SPELL THIS SLANN EVER CASTS IN HIS LIFE HE FU&%S UP!.....

8. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Mine did exactly the same thing. He's made up for it now, but I'm not going to let him forget.

Meanwhile, that Slann looks great. The eyes and cheek spots pop really nicely. The whole model looks very natural. Nice one.

9. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

lovely work!

the throne of vines thing is very simple, but just brilliant. im baffled that i have never seen that done before. the painting on the slann is amazingly neat and i love the colors. this will be a super awesome model when finished i think :)

10. ZaGreekie
    Chameleon Skink

ZaGreekie Active Member

Im honestly really enjoying this forum so much great info!

Anyway the slann is not very "greek" conversion wise but as i sit down to paint his mount now im thinking that insted of the normal gray stone people paint it ill paint it yellow stone like greek temples. so lets see how it turns out xD

11. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Caprasauridae Well-Known Member

Really great looking slann and I think he will look magnificent when sitting on a palanquin made to look like a Grecian temple. Also the shield look really good on the skink, good work with that. Where did you get the vines that support slann's throne? It fits so perfectly.

12. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

Very nice work. The tree looks great holding the palliquin.

13. ZaGreekie
    Chameleon Skink

ZaGreekie Active Member

i used the defult GW tree from there tree scene thingy, but i had to heat the branches and bend them quite a bit, i mean nothing estream but they all requiers a bit of bending and cutting and glueing.

also Pinning i think there is about 6 pins in the tree both holding branches onto the main trunk and holding branches onto the slan floting thingy of awsome.

p.s. im waiting to finish this dam slann so i can make it my avatar for this forum xD

14. ZaGreekie
    Chameleon Skink

ZaGreekie Active Member

Sorry if im overposting im just really enjoying the idea of sharing my project with other lizardmen planers xD

So i just started painting my slann's base, and i though i would take these pics becouse they make it alot easyer to see the vines from the base itself, i feel quite good about it, its very hard to find the joints between Plastic tree branches > Greenstuf > vines that are actually apart of the base

Opinions or crateques?

15. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

So far so good. :smug:
    I like how the tree integrates seamlessly in with the panaquins vines.

Keep us posted on your continuing progress.

16. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

The tree looks like chocolate. Delicious chocolate.

17. ZaGreekie
    Chameleon Skink

ZaGreekie Active Member

more progress on the palequium

18. rdennison11
    Skink

rdennison11 New Member

Awesome work, your painting skills are unbelievable!

19. ZaGreekie
    Chameleon Skink

ZaGreekie Active Member

WOW! thank you so much!!! i still have ALOT to learn i think xD

anyway, ill pass on a update on the slan tomorow, but my local GW shop just anounced a new turnoment that will start a 500pts army and grow. so i though this is a great opertunity to orgonize what i need to paint when becouse painting a 2.5k army from nothing AND converting it all is a daunting task,

so my first things on the list to convert then paint are as fallows (this is also my army list for 500pts its not realy part of this forum but if you have opinions i would love to hear them)

Saurus Hero greatweapon and sheild (my idea for this is his sheild bashing a enemy wile impailing him 300-spartan.jpg kinda like this exept the sheild would be smashing the enemy and knocking him back as the spear was impailing him.

and then i would just have 18 saurus warriors 15 skins and a salamander, and well not sure exacly how to greekafy the skinks or the salamanders yet, open to ideas!

20. nuklearangel
    Skink

nuklearangel Member

Stunning looking Slann and the throne is looking amazing as well. Great idea and execution, really impressed. The yellow stone is a great change from the usual, and works splendidly!