1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Green stuff Help

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by DeathBringer125, Nov 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. DeathBringer125
    Carnasaur

DeathBringer125 Well-Known Member

Hey I plan to do the dark elf cold one to razordon conversion and I have a question. How do I use green stuff? Also I saw liquid green stuff but it got bad reviews is that true? Is solid green stuff better? Please send a link (preferably amazon for cheap prices) ty for help!

Crowsfoot likes this.
  2. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

Liquid Greenstuff is really only useful for pour molds (in my experience). Regular Greenstuff is a two-part epoxy. You will need to kneed the two parts(blue and yellow tubes) together. Once they are mixed you have about 10 minuets worth of sculpting time where the greenstuff will be at its malleable. Then you simply ignore it and let it set into a hardened product.

What this means is only mix up the amount you will be using. If you are working on a large scultp make sure you only mix up small amount and try to wait until your base layer is set before sculpting additional greenstuff over the top.

3. Nacho
    Skink

Nacho Member

Ok, from the way you talk about green stuff, it seems like you haven't used it much yet (if that's not the case, please excuse me, i don't want to offend anyone).

Green stuff is as complicated as you want it to be, though i would start with the basics instead of jumping to convert an existing miniature into another one. Start small, try to do something easy to get the feeling of how to do it and how to use the green stuff.

This is a video that covers the basics with green stuff, but there are a lot more (from different youtubers, that cover different things ranging from making specific things such as robes, feathers, spikes and scars, to basically sculpt your own miniatures) on youtube:

This is a youtube playlist from Modern Synthesist that also covers different things, like the different sculpting tools and their uses: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyjaTOn1cvVL6sMEFQGSh7qU71zuO8ohJ

This site specializes in (obviously) green stuff and sculpting tools, and some other useful things that you may need or want while sculting or converting models: http://www.greenstuffworld.com/es/13-materiales-para-modelar

The Army Painter also sell green stuff and sculpting tools: https://shop.thearmypainter.com/products.php?ProductGroupId=5#The Original Green Stuff

I would advise against the liquid green stuff, i bought one bottle years ago, and the only use i found for it was for the bubbles in the first years of GW resin and for the spaces that appeared when 2 parts of a miniature don't match after glueing them together.

And i myself prefer to use the green stuff in bars, since the yellow part and the blue part don't touch.

I hope this helps.

P.S.: By the way, for sculpting tools, if you want to go cheap, just use toothpicks and a little water, the pointy edge of a nail, a pin, your wet fingertips... you'd be surprised what you can accomplish with that

P.S.: This is another youtube playlist for sculpting tips that is a little more advanced: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMtDX54Ksm_lZurGX_-T9mLl2weJXmZVB

4. DeathBringer125
    Carnasaur

DeathBringer125 Well-Known Member

5. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

I've never used Army Painter greenstuff, but they are a solid company. Their undercoat for instance is very good.

LizardWizard likes this.
  6. Nacho
    Skink

Nacho Member

Army Painter is a good brand, but,at least for me, green stuff is green stuff. I mean, you are starting to "play" with it, you're gonna have to make mistakes and learn by trial and error, so i would go for this one instead: https://www.amazon.com/Kneadatite-Y...reen+stuff&dpPl=1&dpID=51NZkNiU6AL&ref=plSrch

But just because you get much more green stuff for a little bit more money, not because ir is better or anything like that.

7. Itepixcauh
    Carnasaur

Itepixcauh Stranded Ghekkotah Staff Member

All greenstuff is made by the same company. No matter who sells it (GW, Army Painter, Greenstuff World, etc) all is made by Sylmasta.

I very much prefer the version that is sold as separate tubes of each colour as its much more durable and you don't loose the middle portion of the product.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  8. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

I never knew that... interesting!

That's what I have; GaleForce Nine

Itepixcauh likes this.