1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Green Stuff

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by asrodrig, Nov 19, 2008.

1. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

Hey, I thought I'd start up a thread about green stuff modeling. If any of you have any tips and tricks to share, or would just like to show off some impressive molding you have done in the past, post them here so we can all have a good look at them!

I have a couple tips:
    - maybe some of you have noticed that when the green stuff is sticky enough, it will sometimes stick to the sculpting tool instead of your model. To combat this, give your metal models a good rinse and dry before you use them. The molds they are made of are coated with a powdery mold release to ensure the metal will come out of the mold easily, but it can prevent glue and green stuff from sticking to the model sometimes. If this doesn't solve the problem, then constantly wipe the sculpting tool on your hand. The natural oils will keep the green stuff from sticking to the metal tool.

- use smaller amounts rather than big amounts. I find it always looks like I'll need a lot of green stuff, and I always always cut off too much. Then I end up with all sorts of tiny hard green balls all over my desk. It's better to cut off not enough and have to cut off a little bit more than to cut off too much and waste a lot of it.

- the sooner you use it, the more malleable it will be. Green stuff hardens surprisingly fast, and if you let it sit out for even a half hour it will be quite stiff when you come back for it. If you use it immediately after you mix it up, it will be nice and soft, and therefore a lot easier to work with, and therefore your modeling will look better.

- don't use your nice files on green stuff. If you have fingerprints left in the goo, try and smoothen it out with the sculpting tool before it gets dry and hard. If it is dry and hard, use an X-acto knife to scrape it nice and smooth again.

- experiment with a variety of tools. The Citadel sculpture tool is great, but some interesting marks can also be made in the green stuff with scissors, pins, tacks, plastic silverware, toothpicks or bamboo skewers, and many other things you can find laying around your house.

Anyways, I hope this is useful to somebody. Post your green stuff pics!

2. FrozenLizards
    Saurus

FrozenLizards New Member

I do have a few tips for green stuff as well.
    - To help w/ green stuff sticking where u don't want it, wet down anything u don't want it to stick to. This also helps stop finger printing, if u wet your fingers.

- If u find an icon or emblum u like (like the skull icon on a Saurus cavalry shield), wet it, blow it off , push it unto a small batch of green stuff, gentaly remove it and let dry. Once the mold dries u can wet it a lil and push a small amount of green stuff in it and then (if ur mold is well made) u will have a copy of the icon. I have tried this a few times and find it take a few tried to get right but green stuff is forgiving if u wet it.

- To help green stuff stick I always scratch the surface, even cut into it a lil so the epoxy has something to grip. I think this is called scouring in the pottery world.

3. stu
    Skink

stu New Member

i've mainly used it for filling in gaps or simple things like extending hair, beards etc. I was thinking of making a frill for my scar vet. Like frilled lizards or the dilophosaurus in jurassic park. Wish me luck!