1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GW just made my jaw drop again

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by strewart, Oct 26, 2009.

1. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=&prodId=prod400003a

1 Imperial Warzone, a cool $1213.50 AUD! :jawdrop: Ok I know it contains a lot of stuff, and probably works out better value than buying it all individually, but who is going to drop that much money on a board and some scenery? You could hire a professional modeller for that kind of cost! Or buy enough of an army that you won't even be able to see the table lol. Their target audience is quickly becoming middle aged professionals with lots of cash to burn rather than students, with the rise of large and elaborate yet very pricey scenery pieces.

As an aside, $1213 AUD is 685 pounds (GW sell it for 421 pounds) which is a pretty huge markup to us poor plebs in the colonies. Actually it is 748USD from GW, our 1213 converts to 1117USD, thats even worse.

2. Dreadgrass
    Ripperdactil

Dreadgrass Member

yes, quite a few years back, when our dollar was about half the USD GW decided to have a big price hike, blaming our economic position, it was around the same time they stopped having sales and the much loved 3 for 2 store opening deals (buy 3 boxes or 3 blisters, get the cheapest free) yet even now, with (as of this morning) our dollar buying over 0.92 USD GW seems content to not revisit their pricing scheme...

3. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

$906.25, for you fellow Canadians. And I would never buy this, as my scratch building skills are probably good enough that I could make an almost equivalent looking one for a much smaller price. Consider how many models you could buy for the same price.

4. Trevy the Great
    Skink

Trevy the Great New Member

Seconded, Asrodig. That seems like an insane amount of money to drop on terrain. If I had that kind of money I could do so much... buy cheaper, higher quality terrain (Pegasus Hobbies, anyone?), start a new army... fix my car... the possibilities are endless.

5. Dumbledore
    Ripperdactil

Dumbledore New Member

If you had the kind of money to blow on that without caring you wouldn't need to fix your car and you'd buy the other cheaper, better terrain too, as well as starting another army if you felt like it.

6. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Yeah exactly.. Like I said, the target audience of GW seems to be moving more upmarket. Who besides rich people are goin to happily drop $70 AUD onto a box of 10 plastic empire greatswords, which is slightly more expensive than they used to be in metal and lots more than all the other 10 or even 16-20 man boxes?

What does that mean for most of us gamers? Either several years to build an army or bye bye hobby. I cannot possibly imagine some kid working hard all summer so he can save up the thousand bucks for a big box of terrain, it just won't happen. We can all think of many more things to buy with that much money.

7. KroxigorsFTW
    Razordon

KroxigorsFTW New Member

Lets not forget the $83 for Stormvermin... Honestly, it is appealing, but you could do so much more with all that money...

On another note, can you really just glue half a bastion onto another one like in the picture? Because i think it looks cool, and was just wondering...

8. Gerdion
    Skink

Gerdion New Member

This is why I've never bought GW terrain.

Yeah, my stuff never looks quite as good, but it isn't just for the money I save. I find building things like hills and tombs and trees to be just as enjoyable as the game itself. I'd take a cheap, self-made junky tree over an overpriced GW equivalent anyday.