1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GW News: Combat phase in #NewAoS

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Cristhian MLR, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Hmmm....
    I wonder how large they are.
    Probably we could get away with replacing the heads with regular skulls...

(They would most likely suffer from tiny head syndrome though, like Space Marines or SCE)

2. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Perhaps this is a use for the oversized skulls from the old skeleton kits!

[​IMG]

3. Aginor
    Slann

Oh dear, no. Those are so ugly.
    Then I'd rather use the original heads.

Btw. I looked at the pics even more and I think I like the four armed dudes, the catapult and the heroes (except the Mortarch) best.

4. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

IDK, i suppose they're nice (especially the Necropolis Stalkers and the Mortek Crawler), but for now I'm not sold on them.

Plus, what do we see? 3 units, 3 heroes and a warmachine? that would be one of the poorest range of miniatures...

edit: regarding "necrons in AoS"... if we look at the stalkers, it's more "Necron-Tyranids"

5. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Indeed - I like both Necrons and Tyranids, so perhaps that's why I'm one of those who are less critical about these.

The only thing is those heads do really need to be changed. Perhaps actual Necron heads painted in bone colours would work? Certainly folk have tried converting Tomb Kings to have Necron heads as helmets:
    [​IMG]

6. DeathBringer125
    Carnasaur

DeathBringer125 Well-Known Member

I think they look pretty cool. I also like the concept of a super elite death army. And that catapult looks really cool lol.

7. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

That is a huge multi-base.

Lots of minis on the same base too, not just the big bad; its the entire retinue!

Reminds me of the multi-bases you see in historical games for command figures, except waaaay bigger and over the top.
    front.jpg

Those look fantastic! :wideyed::wideyed::wideyed:

8. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Those historical ones look considerably better. They're not as massivly overcrowded. Imho the general seems more like a display model than something to be used in a game. And even then it's a very busy statue-thing.

Warden likes this.
  9. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

I actually disagree. I much prefer the previous undead that were released; those still looked quite good. These look too bulky, strange and out of place.

As for converting them into Tomb Kings, I think it would be very difficult. The aesthetic is completely off and they are much too bulky. It would take an extreme amount of work and a very skilled hand to to convert them. A person would be better off buying actual TK off of Ebay. These things will probably be quite expensive anyways!

Captaniser, GuaDan and Canas like this.
  10. Captaniser
    Carnasaur

Captaniser Well-Known Member

In the Q and A session GW held at Nova open they said he fight like a multistage boss fight.

Full wounds: only bird man fights.

Less wounds: Only banner guy.

Even less: only samurai guy.

Then at last it is skeletor himself that swings. Wonder how they will balance that playstyle, since it isn't too difficult to do 10-12 wounds per turn.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  11. Captaniser
    Carnasaur

Captaniser Well-Known Member

And in other Games Workshop related news, look what is coming to Total war: Warhammer.

12. Killer Angel
    Slann

Not for AoS. They recall the.morghast aestethic.

13. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Are you saying that AoS is bulky, strange and out of place? :cool:

14. Killer Angel
    Slann

No.
    AoS is exactly in the place it belongs to: away from my tomb kings.
    Seraphon are fine with it, because lizardmen are alway wonderful.

15. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

YOU-HAD-MY.jpg

Killer Angel likes this.
  16. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

My biggest concern is that the infantry probably would have trouble fitting onto 20x20mm square bases. I did manage to get Fyreslayer Vulkites to fit quite well, but unlike them the Bonereaper infantry do have particularly wide shoulders like Necrons do, so that could cause problems.

However, I refuse to fall into the trap of searching for Tomb Kings stuff on EBay, as that’s what the traders like to prey on - desperate players so eager to get something from the old Tomb Kings line that they’ll pay anything.

I still maintain that the cavalry could work as Necropolis Knights though, considering that Necropolis Knights move at the same speed as a barded warhorse and that those new cavalry would certainly fit on the chariot bases used for Necropolis Knights. Toxin sacs could be attached to the horses in the style of Tyranid models to represent the Necroserpents’ Poisoned Attacks, and a spear option can be seen clearly on one of the models. The riders also don’t seem to have the joker faces that the infantry have, and a combination of the right paint scheme and perhaps some looting of old Tomb King bitz on EBay (which are generally cheaper than finished models) would sort out the aesthetic issues. Also the priest model would be great on the Casket of Souls as he is in the act of releasing or ensnaring souls for his use.

Generally though I think I will revert to waiting to see what Mantic do with their Empire of Dust range. They revealed some time ago that Empire of Dust would feature in the main rulebook for their upcoming Third Edition, meaning they should be getting more support than they were when they were first devised in Second Edition’s ‘Uncharted Empires’ supplement in retaliation to GW killing off Tomb Kings. This honour should result in more concepts and models being developed for them, and these chaps certainly look more suitable for Tomb Kings (I’m showing you this video because the paint job on the website doesn’t do them as much justice as it should):

I like how these are a lot more adorned than the old GW ones as well as being less bulbous around the head and torso. They are also priced more like the GW of old, with 20 Skeletons for £20 - much more affordable than most stuff on EBay and almost certainly cheaper than what these new undead are going to cost. The only disadvantage with Mantic is that they are so incredibly slow at developing new stuff that they make even the old GW with their monthly releases look fast.

Captaniser and Warden like this.
  17. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

That's a fair point, but I think these new GW kits are going to be very expensive anyways. I'm not sure how much money would be saved going down that route.

I know some people like them, but personally I have never been a fan of Mantic models. I think they look amateurish next to GW. That is only my personal preference though.

18. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

Tk'ya'pyk Well-Known Member

I do like the look of the Mantic stuff. I'm not a big fan of these... well, I'm gonna call them Bone Golems. They look weird, and you're right, I think it is the fact that they have noses. Cavalry aren't bad looking, but I think I'll stick with my LoN Deathrattle instead and keep proxying old undead catapults as Dwarf Mercenary Cannons. 'Cause it's that or ally with some "former Tomb Kings Generic Death whatever" units that now have points again so I can get bone archers. Does anyone have any experience with the Mantic Undead minis? Are they a decent size, do they assemble well/convert well?

19. Aginor
    Slann

I only have some (40 IIRC) of their regular skeletons, and I think they are fine. The newer GW skeletons look a tad better, especially since they have empty eye sockets while the Mantic ones have eyeballs (to give them glowing eyes) which I mildly dislike. I like classic Skellies.

I might still buy a few of the bone golem dudes, and probably their book, just to play around with them and see. Especially if they can ally with LoN.

20. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Do you ever just use them as Tomb Kings or strictly in KoW?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019