1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GW News: Combat phase in #NewAoS

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Cristhian MLR, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

yup my store manager uses this model as a butcher lots of fun

2. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

he/she/it immeadiatly makes you into a pie after killing you obviously.

3. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

A look at the actuall SC stf box. Seems like indeed the chaos lord's mount is the new beast and they simply failed to proofread their previous post.

Also, the old models aren't phased out, so that's a thing.

4. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

well you get 6 more models for the same price if your willing to run old warriors so a neet bargain option

5. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

yeah, and it still has the chariots if you want those. So it has a place I guess.

6. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

...and ruins. (Someone needed to FTFY. :p )

7. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Lord-Marcus Sixth Spawning

Hold tight. I have plans for a sigmarite cathedral

Seraphandy likes this.
  8. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

Tk'ya'pyk Well-Known Member

I have been trying really hard NOT to start another AoS army. I'm trying not to let StD temp me into being my third (fourth?) army, but I know where I can get that older SC box with the 5 knights and the 2 chariots...

Assuming someone else hasn't beaten me to it, of course...

9. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Some of the very old Chaos Dwarfs are coming next week, with the old Blood Bowl team being put up for Made to Order:
    [​IMG]

Some proper Chaos Dwarfs for a change @NIGHTBRINGER!

10. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Are you saying that the Legion of Azgorh Forge World models don't count?

11. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

An off-topic question for @Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl . With you being our resident Dwarf fan, how would your rate the following Dwarfs from best to worst:
    • Legion of Azgorh / Chaos Dwarfs (you can separate these two if you like or keep them together as one choice)
    • Classic WFB Dwarfs (8th edition)
    • Kharadron Overlords
    • Fyreslayers

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  12. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Lord-Marcus Sixth Spawning

You are missing regular dwarfs/dispossessed

13. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I listed those as Classic WFB Dwarfs

14. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Interesting question.
    I would put the classic ones at the first place and fyreslayers as the last ones.
    I'm torned between Chaos dwarfs and kharadron for the 2nd and 3rd

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  15. Killer Angel
    Slann

GIven that we're talking also about 40k (amongst other things), i must say i really like the new Chapter approved 2019.

The new missions are interesting and i like the fact that finally we have in one place all the battlescrolls of terrains and fortifications.
    But the thing i like the most, is the new mechanic for maelstrom.
    The deck for objectives cards is composed on the fly, adapting it to the opponent you're facing, forming the deck with no less then 18 cards, out of a 36 cards deck. Which is a massive difference from the old "discard 6 cards and roll with it".
    Then, obj cards are now picked in a block of 5, and no more than 2 can be revealed. You can complete only the revealed cards, at that point you can reveal other cards…

this forces you to:
    1) think smartly about the composition of your deck
    2) decide the order of the cards / objective you want to complete, and play accordingly.

it will increase tactics and thinking, which i like.

Another positive thing is the points change for many units / weapons.
    Basically it seems that GW lowered the cost of the less played units.

some examples:
    The strongest Necron units (doomsday ark, Doom Scythe, Destroyers) are left untouched, while the weaker options (ghost arks, flayed ones, heavy destroyers, annihilations barges) received a discount. If fosters the use of usually neglected units, thus increasing variability.

The same can be said for Tau.
    Things as the Riptide remain unchanged, with the typical setting that sits at 280 pts before and after CA2019, while the Stormsurge saw a discount of 60 pts. Now you can set a fully equipped one around 350 pts. It's still a huge sitting duck, but 350 pts instead of 410 is a deal i can try on the battlefield.

16. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

No, I was referring to the Blood Bowl team as proper Chaos Dwarfs as opposed to the two plastic ones in Warcry (the one with the Christmas tree helmet that is in the Iron Golems box and the one that is to arrive in the upcoming Spire Tyrants box).

I’d say I would order them in the following list:
    1. Classic Warhammer Fantasy Dwarfs (they were what got me into Warhammer in the first place)
    2. Fyreslayers (they combine the aesthetic of the Slayers with a culture very similar to the Warhammer Fantasy Dwarfs. Not as outright original as Kharadron, but they are much closer in playstyle and lore to the Dwarfs of old)
    3. Kharadron (They are similarly awesome and I really like the new take on them, but their airships are pretty expensive models and the fact that lorewise they are more like Ferengi in Dwarfs’ clothing than actual Dwarfs means personally I would rather play Fyreslayers if I had to pick one to collect for AoS. I still think they are great though)
    4. Legion of Azgorh/Chaos Dwarfs (I’m not saying I dislike Chaos Dwarfs. On the contrary, I think they are a really interesting faction, a lot more so personally than Warriors or Daemons of Chaos, and I really like their Persian aesthetics, but the main reason I like them less than the other Dwarf factions is because they have had such little support ever since GW first created them - even in 4th Edition their army book was produced in a White Dwarf rather than put on sale as a mainstream army book, and while the newer Legion of Azgorh ones do look great, the fact they are Forge World does put me off due to an army of them being potentially heavier on the price tag than even Kharadron with all their airships. If GW produced a plastic army of them for Warhammer: The Old World, I would be really tempted to add them to my collection to give me 3 good armies and 3 evil armies).

Warden, Killer Angel and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  17. little-myth
    Carnasaur

little-myth Well-Known Member

Had to go have a closer look at the Chaos Dwarfs, yeah even from me I enjoy their looks but I agree on those Forgeworld price tags, especially to get 2000 points going. Well it's like it with all Forgeworld exclusive armies.
    And I noticed the Warpfire Dragon and Basilisk is no longer available. Probably the mould needs redoing or something, similar scenario with the Magma Dragon maybe?

18. Killer Angel
    Slann

Chaos dwarfs are a thing similar to Death korps of Krieg.
    Awesome, but crazily expensive.

ChapterAquila92 likes this.
  19. ChapterAquila92
    Skar-Veteran

ChapterAquila92 Well-Known Member

It still amuses me morbidly that the Imperial Guard regiment that's all about human waves is almost exclusively a Forge World purchase.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  20. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Here goes my list... which was already ordered...

1. Legion of Azgorh / Chaos Dwarfs - SURPRISE! Everything is a bit better with a little Chaos taint. I love the entire range of Forge World CD models, except maybe the Fireborn, which are only okay (although to be fair I've never seen them in person). I like the fact that they have many elements of the standard Dwarfs but can wield magic (my favourite phase in WFB) and have some big fast moving monsters and monstrous beasts/infantry. They do lack the awesome runic items of traditional Dwarfs, but they can't have everything. They are of course on the smallish side and would really benefit from a couple of new units....maybe in TOW.
    2. Classic WFB Dwarfs (8th edition) - Nice models and great lore. I love the runic system for creating magic items; it seems like it would be great deal of fun during list building. So many options.
    3. Kharadron Overlords - My favourite unique AoS army. Doesn't fit within WFB, but is a wonderful addition to AoS (too bad they suck in terms of competitiveness). The steampunk look has really grown on me and the airships are beautiful.
    4. Fyreslayers - I've never really been sold on these guys. They seem too similar to one another with the only bit of variation coming in the form of their lone monster (which I'm not a fan of either). I liked Slayers as part of a larger Dwarf army, but I think this army on its own desperately needs something else to give it a bit more variety.