1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GW News: Combat phase in #NewAoS

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Cristhian MLR, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

For Skaven I would say some plastic Poisoned Wind Globadiers and maybe a plastic weapon team kit are certainly on the cards, especially as Skryre features in the battlebox, alongside perhaps some plastic plague censer bearers in the style of the new Fanatics. I’m thinking essentially everything that isn’t plastic in the Skaven Force currently has a good chance of being remade in plastic, although GW made no attempt to rerelease the Centigors or any of the non-plastic stuff for Beastmen so it could go either way. Skaven already have 2 named characters as well (Thanquol and Verminking) and Spiteclaw may well be elevated into character status if they want a third, so it’s unlikely any new heroes will arrive for Skaven. Flesh Eater Courts already have predominantly plastics, but a plastic Varghulf is highly likely, with almost certainly a couple of special characters and some other non-named heroes as GW like giving each army a good lot of heroes that do all sorts of random stuff and Flesh Eater Courts currently only have the Ghoul King on Zombie Dragon/Terrorgheist, Ghoul King on foot and the courtiers.

2. ChapterAquila92
    Skar-Veteran

ChapterAquila92 Well-Known Member

Plastic jezzails when?

3. Captaniser
    Carnasaur

Captaniser Well-Known Member

I think a plastic varghulf is in order. Also maybe a cavalry choice, like ghouls riding frenzied skinless horses/wolfs. Maybe a ranged unit of sorts. Crypthorrors throwing large javelins made of bone, deranged massive bats using sonic attacks. They might do elite variants of the crypthorror and ghouls, something like holy knights dressed head to toe with bones and entrails.

Lord-Marcus and Crowsfoot like this.
  4. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

As I said before, all the Skaven stuff that is non-plastic has a chance of returning in plastic. I’d say Jezzails might well appear in their own 5-pack or something, mounted on AoS cavalry bases.

ChapterAquila92 likes this.
  5. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Definitly new versions of the skryre acolytes.

Also warpfire thrower teams. The only ones I've ever found where in the box with the aelves. Some seperate ones would be great.

A new rulebook for skavendom "united" (as if there is such a thing…)

Other than that I'm not expecting too much actually, apart from some updated models here and there. Technically skaven have everything they really need, it's just randomly split out over 4 subfactions with no synergy to speak em leaving them all hamstrung in certain ways. Simply uniting them should already fix most of the issues they have I think. Maybe the new rules come with some reimagining of old units (e.g. a Skyre variant of Stormvermin or some such) but that's about it I guess.

ChapterAquila92 and Captaniser like this.
  6. Captaniser
    Carnasaur

Captaniser Well-Known Member

funnily enough the Skaven aren't divided in subfactions on the webshop anymore, they are all under a single line called Skaven now. Another thing i noticed too was that a few days before the gloomspites were revealed the single model gargant faction had disappered.

7. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Most factions are now, the aelves, free people and such have also been reduced from a bazilion subfactions to just "aelves" and "free people". I'd assume it's related to those factions eventually getting their own overhaul as well.

8. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

I’d say so - I’m sure GW have been dropping subtle hints of a Dispossessed update soon after Flesh Eater Courts and Skaven, and I imagine they’ll most certainly get round to Free Peoples soon after if they do update Dwarfs. Also with Flesh Eater Courts wave 2 almost certainly confirmed, it’s highly likely that Ironjawz, Fyreslayers, Bonesplitterz, Seraphon and all the other first Edition factions will get their time soon enough.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    Canas, Crowsfoot and GuaDan like this.
  9. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

I've just received my Gloomspite Gitz Battletome and to say I'm disappointed is an understatement.

Allies, Bonesplitterz, Gitmob Grots and Greenskinz

No Ironjawz!!!

10. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

That is outrageous.
    I mean: just look at them! Some of the Grots even wear armor in the style of Ironjawz in the artworks.
    In the lore of AoS the Moonclan Grots are the masterminds behind the Destruction Grand Alliance, during the Shyish invasion they coordinated everything, including the Ironjawz IIRC.

At least they have the Bonesplitterz as allies.
    But the lack of Ironjawz is really disappointing.

11. Crowsfoot
    Slann

I only wanted to ally the Trogs with Ironjawz now I'm really pissed off.....

12. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Completely understandable.

13. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

It seems to be evident you didn’t watch that preview video I included either in this thread or the Gloomspite Gitz one - they talk about it a good deal there.

I agree it’s pretty off as Ironjawz and Gloomspite are all Greenskins, but I imagine that that the main reason would be because Ironjawz are the descendents of the militaristic Black Orcs and just want to bully all the other Greenskins into their service - Gloomspite Gitz on the other hand are a cult of religious fanatics dedicated to the Bad Moon. Bonesplitterz share that cult mindset but Ironjawz don’t - they see Gorkamorka as Gorkamorka, as he is, not as a particular god that has shaped their culture in an unusual way. They show arguably less dedication to their faith than Gloomspite or Bonesplitterz as they’re just obsessed with forming huge Waaaghs and smashing their opponents to pieces and don’t care much for the religious prattling of the others - they just want to get on with the fighting and will drag other Greenskins into it whether they want to or not. The Gloomspite Gitz of course would be particularly adverse to this as they prefer to behave in a more kunnin’ fashion and certainly don’t want to be press-ganged into an Ironjawz Waaagh that goes around smashing stuff with no organisation or direction unless they deem it necessary. That’s an interesting point that they’re the masterminds behind the Grand Alliance of Destruction, but of course this is represented by using the Destruction allegiance (even though it probably sucks).

Hope that makes sense anyway. I still think it interesting that Gitmob are still included as a faction even though GW got rid of all their stuff, so they may be seeing a rework at some point in the future.

Aginor and Canas like this.
  14. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Probably that's the main point.
    If you are strong enough to form an allegiance by your own, why would you want around those big brute guys that bullied your grandfathers?

15. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

To have em bully your cousins into submission for you? :p

It's a bit weird they can't ally. But then again, most allies don't seem to be too logical and just a fairly arbitrary and gamey distinction.

16. Deed525
    Stegadon

Deed525 Well-Known Member

I agree that it’s annoying they aren’t allied with the bruisers, But I fully understand why they aren’t.

Seriously though, the Gitz have so many options and (inside alliances) that there is plenty of choice for play options - some of their units and synergies are pretty solid!
    Mangler squig...enough said ;D

17. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Pity it’s so expensive :inpain:

Crowsfoot likes this.
  18. Deed525
    Stegadon

Deed525 Well-Known Member

Yeah £50 for one unit (that you may want more than 1 of) is a bit painful, but still less expensive than buying a gobbo horde army (and probably more effective) points wise I think 240 is pretty fair, they can dish out a hell of a lot of damage - on a good day and their squishy-ness is negated by their ability to get stronger when taking wounds (weaker first then back to full strength before they die)
    I made a list that focus’s on them (4x manglers in army) actually looks like a pretty solid list lol

19. Crowsfoot
    Slann

I've decided to still get some Trogs with discount it's £58 for a box of Trogs and a Trog boss, you can get the Mangler for £38

20. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

That is considerably more affordable - there’s a shop quite near me that does I think around 10% discount on stuff so Mangler Squigs would be reduced to around £45. A slightly better deal at least :p