1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GW News: Combat phase in #NewAoS

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Cristhian MLR, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

meh, it is still annoying, especially if your preferred faction gets little to no attention. E.g. if they didn't focus so damn much on the SCE some of our issues could be fixed instead.. I can see how that can be offputting for keeping up with a game.

NIGHTBRINGER and Crowsfoot like this.
  2. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

I agree and I'm hopeful of a model update next year, or the year after, or the year after, etc, etc, etc

3. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Is there actually anything known about how they update stuff/how GW works? cuz apart from the plans to do the GHB yearly I don't think I've ever seen anything resembling a schedule or general appraoch towards keeping all factions (semi)-balanced by GW. And given the large difference in focus between various faction it's kind of weird.. how does GW work on things? What do they use to decide what to work on next?

4. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

It’s more than weird, it’s a rip off really. Why would you want to get two more war bands from the same faction? Surely Warhammer is about diversity and not Imperium vs Chaos rubbish...

Just corrected that for you - let’s make sure Shadespire is one place free from horrid Sylvaneth Revenants or plug-ugly Empire State Troopers, shall we? :p

Well originally when 8th Edition Fantasy and 6th Edition 40K came out GW used to release one 40K army and then a Fantasy army and then another 40K army and so on for a long while until they went into Weekly White Dwarf mode when they messed up their traditions by releasing 7th Edition 40K rather than 9th Edition fantasy and then killing off fantasy and releasing AoS, and even though they now have gone back to monthly White Dwarf, they still release new stuff every week as they did with Weekly White Dwarf, rather than just releasing everything for a particular month in one go with the release of the White Dwarf on the last Saturday of the previous month, so you could say that GW doesn’t really have a release schedule anymore. They will also release a Chapter Approved for 40K as well every year, but other than that, no fixed schedule. :(

And probably the worst thing is that they have gone back to producing WD front covers with miniatures on them rather than artwork. Having artwork on the front cover is so much better! :argh:

Captaniser and Canas like this.
  5. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

At least the Khornate one is fairly different from the existing one, more elite fighters and a dog instead of cannonfodder... the stormforged are basicly just the same but with bows this time (it really doen't help that all those stormforged have pretty much the same statline regardless of what role they fill....)

I'd rather have an ugly but properly new warband than this :p Plus they do get new models for this, so even the state troopers might become decent to look at :p

sigh.. I'd wish they'd actually propose a schedule for these things instead of the constant teasing. You don't have to tell us what the new army is you're working on, but at least go "this month is a new army, next month is overhauling and rebalancing an existing one, the one after that is introducing some new stuff to this third army but not a full overhaul, etc."

6. Captaniser
    Carnasaur

Captaniser Well-Known Member

x2gx81428wl01 (1).png

NIGHTBRINGER, Bracnos and Crowsfoot like this.
  7. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

All the various chapter specific factions (Death Watch, Death Guard, Space Wolves, etc) and more recently the Custodes. Take a look at all the different 40k factions and see just how many of them are Space Marine or CSM related.

Of course you're right that you don't have to play with them, but you are constantly bombarded with them. The story revolves or at least involves them to a greater degree than most. Many of your opponents may field them. They get update after update after update while your army is left to rot (every update or new release they receive is one that someone else who is more deserving could have gotten). They are essentially inescapable unless you escape AoS itself.

8. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Ah, I was under the impression most of those have existed as playavle factions or quite some time already. Custodes are the only proper new one that I know of.

9. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Perhaps, but there wasn't that much emphasis on them... or at least it didn't feel like as much emphasis. Maybe it is merely a symptom of not having widespread internet driven information back then or simply the different attitudes of the time or nostalgic memories on my part.

10. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

11. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

neat, so an extra hero, a squad of immortals and a different big war machine. That does make it one of the better start collecting boxes that I've seen. 2 heroes, 3 units and 1 big thing, usually it's only 1 hero and 2 units (without kit-bashing at least :p)

12. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

The problem is: WH40K and AoS are different.

In 40K we have the Imperium (be it SM, Guards and things as Adeptus mechanicus) that receives regular updates, while the rest of the universe awaits for its turn (except the chaos version of SM).
    But it's not so strange that the Imperium got a nice treatment... the Imperium is we, the humans. It's easier to have an empathy and it's easier that, amongst all players, many of them will have at least 1 Imperium list.

AoS is different, in the sense that SCE are NOT "we, the humans".
    They are just some weird, armored immortal angels, that look as SM but don't have the same appeal of armored superhuman that fight against all odds.

So, while it's logical (and annoying) to have regular updates for imperium and its chaos version... for AoS it shouldn't be the same.
    The SCE proliferation is much more forced.

13. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

From what I have seen I think I totally agree with that analysis.

14. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

They also don't make that much sense as a faction in universe in AoS, unlike 40K. In 40K the imperium needs SM to be able to fight the various scary things roaming the galaxy. Humanity has no allies and the the various alien races can easily murder humans in droves.. without the SM humanity would be fairly screwed... There's no such need for SCE in AoS. Order could have come back with well, pretty much any Order faction leading the charge. For example an AoS orruk is still stronger than an AoS Human, but since augmentations aren't a thing you won't have anything quite like a say meganobz. Worst case in AoS you just have an Orruk with a slightly bigger warhammer, not an Orruk with his armor welded directly onto the orruk and a pneumatic claw instead of a hand... Hence no real need for the superhumanity of the SCE...

NIGHTBRINGER and Crowsfoot like this.
  15. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Lord-Marcus Sixth Spawning

I can't fault the sigmarines style. Especially with the birb

16. Crowsfoot
    Slann

The SCE were created for the purpose of destroying Chaos so why did they not give them extra abilities for fighting just Chaos, nope they just make them so strong that anyone that wants to win will pick up that army and they were designed like SM to attract 40k players.

Lets face it we have all heard stories about that guy that cannot take losing, that is the perfect target audience for SCE.

If they came with more options like human faces, toned down armour I might buy one or two as some of the models, mainly the mounts are really well designed.

17. Crowsfoot
    Slann

I think the weekly release of models is a brilliant marketing strategy by GW it keeps you interested and you are more likely to spend £30 a week on a model,where as a monthly release you are looking at a vast sum of money £120 that hurts even though your spending the same.

18. Aginor
    Slann

I really like the Gryph-Chargers, IMO the sculpts are really well done.
    ...still won't play them.

19. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Me too but can you fight a Saurus on top of one, hmmmmm

20. Aginor
    Slann

I think it would look weird. Might still be worth a try.