1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GW News: magic and prayers in #NewAoS

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Cristhian MLR, Jan 23, 2016.

1. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

It doesn't need justification beyond: "There is no escape from Chaos, it mark us all".

2. Cristhian MLR
    Troglodon

Cristhian MLR Well-Known Member

I was just having my therapist appointment when news dropped.

Now I need another one.

Really dissapointed on the Beastmen and Savage orcs getting gutted, but at least that means I can finally chose if squares or rounds.

Skaven, it's good to have a list of what will get replaced.

SCE, some will get remade for this edition and launch box, some (sacrosanct chamber) will be put on the fridge for later.

Cultists seem to be going exclusively to Warcry, but this might be bound to change.

This is huge. Gotta wonder when we will get over this. Probably when they show the next new Skaven remodel.

Or WHFB 8E!

Noxolotl likes this.
  3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

And that would be the aforementioned promotion. The apex game.

you bow to no one.jpg

Imrahil likes this.
  4. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

5. ChapterAquila92
    Skar-Veteran

ChapterAquila92 Well-Known Member

Is this even worth watching? Even if a broken clock is right twice a day, Discourse is always in the habit of making doomscreed when it comes to GW and Warhammer in general.

Clearly, One Page Rules and 3D printing are not enough to suck her attention away from sputtering "Games Workshop delenda est" at every opportunity she can.

6. Cristhian MLR
    Troglodon

That's not 6E cover.

7. Noxolotl
    Cold One

Noxolotl Well-Known Member

Sorry if that question may be a little weird. But they showed that they're squating the stormcast castigators with gryph-hound. Do does that mean they're getting rid of just that set or are all castigators leaving, and was there any difference between those units aside from model count and one having a gryph-hound? Im just curious as mine are one of few models I consider truly done.
    Also good riddance, those sculpts are cursed from my experience with them

Just A Skink likes this.
  8. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Fair enough. The video pertains to the current topic at hand, but I can see that her "style" is not necessarily for everyone. That said, in a field of pro-GW channels, I think a dissenting voice has its place.

You are correct, that is not the 6th edition cover. 6th edition is solid, but 8th edition is king! Bow down. :cool:

ChapterAquila92 and Noxolotl like this.
  9. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Yeah, but the assumption had been that they'd continue to exist in both settings. It's a bit surprising they dissappear as a proper faction in AoS.

Sure, but I had expected GW to explicitly seperate the two catagories, and explain which get new sculpts and which are deleted.
    Not this confusing half-assed announcement.

Not really, she seems to pretty exclusivly make clickbait when it comes to GW.

Honestly, who knows. GW's marketing is, as usual, confusing as hell....

Last edited: Apr 5, 2024
  10. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

First look at warscrolls

The interesting bits:

• Universal weapons rules from 40K seem to go into AoS now, with stuff like crits.
    • Liberators have lost their loadout options (dual hammers v.s. shield doesn't matter), but retain their grandhammer option.
    • It is unclear if what the champion model still does.
    • Bravery is replaced by "control" which represents objective control
    • Other than that, the SCE liberator scroll has nothing interesting or really new.

• Nagash has a powerlevel which diminishes when he gets wounded. They don't actually explain what it is.
    • They explicitly mention his staff only buffs spellcasting during the hero phase
    • ward saves and some other abilities like "fly" have been moved to the keyword bar at the bottom. How this improves readability is a mystery.
    • Nagash is a wizard (9). Presumably that wizard (9) refers to his power level and is how many spells he can cast.
    • His personal spell states it can be cast more than once per turn. Presumably this means that the rule of one continues to ruin the lives of wizards.
    • His spell has both an offensive and defensive use; if that's going to be a trend for spells that would be nice.
    • Hand of dust is no longer a spell, it's now apparently a monstrous rampage.
    • Nagash has lost his spirit claws attack.
    • Outside of his power level Nagash does not have a damage table.
    • Nagash is now only a ossiarch unit?
    Colour coding & symbols is nice and definitly improves readability. But putting abilities like wardsaves and fly in the freaking keyword bar promptly ruins the overal readability again.

The lack of a damage table is worrisome. Having monsters with only a few wounds left continue to hold objectives and do max damage is a bit lame...

The fact that they feel the need to explicitly mention that Nagash's staff only buffs his casting during the hero phase is interesting. But again, without any extra information it is difficult to tell if this is meaningfull or not. Does this mean we get spell casts at different moments? Or did they simply type that to increase the word count of the article?

Universal weapon rules are fine I guess, depending on what exactly we get. Bit odd to give such a powerfull ability to liberators of all things though given that they're the absolute most basic SCE unit. Especially when considering that this was essentially the special rule some of the more elite SCE units like retributors currently have...

The fact that Nagash now has the ossiarch keyword is potentially interesting, though that has little to do with the actual warscroll.

They mention ranged attacks are generally going to be reduced in range. Which seems odd since models and movement ranges don't seem to be reduced.

O and Nagash is a "warmaster" now while the liberators are just "infantry". Again, without any actual information of how that matters...

Other than that, again very little interesting information....

Imrahil likes this.
  11. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Well no morale mechanic at all sucks... what good is a wargame with no interest in handling morale?

Just A Skink likes this.
  12. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Just A Skink Well-Known Member

In small print below the image of Nagash's warscroll
    "Note that while Ossiarch Bonereapers is a keyword here, Nagash has a separate Warscroll in each of the Faction Packs from Grand Alliance: Death."

We don't have quite enough info, but I assume "Warmaster" is similar to what we have now. He counts as a general, even if not the general.

13. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

A missed that. Though that raises the question; is Nagash going to be different in each faction?

Probably something like that. But what that practically means is unknown.

I'd guess morale gets some kinda generic rule. Leaving it out completly seems odd.

14. Cristhian MLR
    Troglodon

I like the return of levels, and how crazy high a wizard's can be now, I like they haven't removed Rampages (as a Thunder Lizard enjoyer that would've pissed me enough to not try the edition), I like that seems that magic is casted across the phases, I like the USR, I like the removal of Battleshock, which I liked in concept but was rubbish.

15. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

In fairness, Nagash already has 9 spell casts right now. So if that's all the powerlevel brings than nothing really changed.

God I wish GW gave actual information to clarify things so we wouldn't need to speculate if things actually changed or not....

Noxolotl likes this.
  16. Cristhian MLR
    Troglodon

My brother in The Great Plan having ayahuasca and not sharing!

I think we'll won't have to wait much until they explain what does that mean; I'm betting next week, but as I read this means that he is a level 9 wizard until he is taken to 10 wounds, when he becomes a level 6 wizard. They 40K10thed the damage tables.

17. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Probably not, since I wasn't even familiar with the term and had to look it up. :p

You listen to old @NIGHTBRINGER , he knows the way.

18. jinjerJosh22
    Kroxigor

jinjerJosh22 Well-Known Member

They've said somewhere that spell casting is done throughout the turn.

Edit, I've quickly looked over the articles and couldn't see this anywhere. I feel I pulled it from the video in one of the first articles "Here's What's changing in the new edition" where they state you can cast spells in your opponents turn. :oops:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2024
    Canas likes this.
  19. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

In that case it's interesting that Nagash's spellcasting bonus is limited to a specific phase. Hopefully it matters and he actually gets relevant spells for other phases and doesn't just ignore every other phase.

jinjerJosh22 likes this.
  20. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

I bet it will be something similar to the actual ToW magic system. Some spells are cast in the "hero phase", some ones during combat and so on.

ChapterAquila92 and jinjerJosh22 like this.