1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GW News: Battleshock GONE! and more! AoS 4

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Cristhian MLR, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Cristhian MLR
    Terradon

Cristhian MLR Well-Known Member

Hello, and this is my very first post since I register, and I couldn't find any better place to this, so if my scaly mods consider it to be on the wrong, you could move it.

So, checking the GW Lizardmen/Seraphon range on the international page, just 'cuz, I noticed somthing interesing, and that is that the Bastiladon and Stegadon (actually Tricera, but), and both have the same price now: 35 GBP, which is weird, since the last time I checked, one of then were 5 or 10 Gbp more expensive. Haven't checked on other armies, tho.

Also, and I'm not sure of this, but the Thunderbeast Host is at 12 right now, but I remember it to be quite more expensive, and if I recall well too, I remember that the Slann models where around 35-40 GBP and today they are at the same price: 30 GBP.

Is this a common practice of GW, to reduce the price of some miniatures time by time? (jk, I can't believe that, lol)

I'm quite... surprised? I mean, the Start Collecting Seraphon box is such an amazing offer, but also, this could be a sing of the Old Ones, maybe this CEO is actually concerned about the community (and the fact that GW economy are droping like a rock since the Q3 of 2015 *maybe* could have a slight influence too), and we could start to see some new and reasonable prices for certain pieces of the ranges.

What do you think?

See you.

n810 likes this.
  2. Lawot
    Kroxigor

Lawot Active Member

I noticed the ridiculous price on the "Start Collecting Seraphon", too...I think one possibility is that they have actually started offering deals, as opposed to their bundles that are just the sum of their component pieces. The other possibility is that they're really trying to get people to start a new army, or start playing the game, and know they need to offer a deal to do it. And then again, maybe they're just trying to get rid of some inventory.

3. Cristhian MLR
    Terradon

So, today Slaves to Darkness aka Warriors of Chaos have just been re-released, and prices are changing once again (and they are my tempting second Fantasy army, I love nordic-themes).

10 Chaos Knight at 35 GBP, previously 5 for the same price, 2x1, thats a deal, meanwhile, 16 Chaos Warrior at 25, previously 12 for the same price, they are gifting you 4 dudes.

Maurader box: 20 Marauders, up from 10/12, at 23 pounds, I guess thats 2x1 too. I can't remember if Horsement (now at 30 pounds) were 5 or 10, but if they were 5, then again, 2x1.

So again, there are some actual savings. Now GW is making the very basic units (if you still play Fantasy, at least) cheaper, which is certainly good.

Not only that, a new battalion, 110 British pounds: 2 chariots, 5 CK, 10 Horsemen Marauders, 16 CW, and the new Chimaera. 155 GBP individually, you are saving 45 GBP, almost enough to buy an Start Collecting set (however I think 3 chariots are almost too many).

Impressive. GW is better or worst now, depending on you perspective, but we are still winning. I can see them recovering the ground lost on the past years, but not in the short term.

4. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

I think GW is actually making some impressive strides. They're offering products at a wider range of prices, which I feel will benefit the hobby. I've been quite impressed with the deals they have been offering as of late.

Cristhian MLR likes this.
  5. Cristhian MLR
    Terradon

I'm surprised too, and certainly this will bring new players (we must be realists, to say "many new" is silly), however, it seems that the community now a days is divided by two factions: "I don't have problems with AoS" and "OMFG GW RUINED MUH GAEM WITH THEIR ROUND BASES AND CHEAPER PRICES".

Man, just a few hours ago just checked one quite popular blog, there where people complaining about how they don't want to pay for extra cavalry and how this is ruining GW and they are already playing other systems and 3D printing. That's stupid.

Sadly, it looks that there is a wider population within the last ones. Also, we must rmeember that nowadays people has the same, or even less, interes on play tabletop, because its expensive anyway.

GW is not recovering on the short term, they will do it later, unless they offer some great to amazing/excellent discount on the next BF/Xmas.

6. Cristhian MLR
    Terradon

Ok, many of us surely know that soon we will see chages to Vampires Counts (or the new Grand Alliance of Death) and the removal of the Tomb Kings from the range (sad times).

However, 40K brother-game is also seeing an update and a whole new Start Collecting set, this time for one of the only two Adeptus Astartes Chapter that I actually give a damn: Space Wolves.

This set have 10 Space Wolves (that can be assembled as three different unit, with a ton of extra bitz), one Space Marine Captain and 3 Wolf Cavalry.

The Captain and cavalry alone cost 51 pounds, so you get 10 marines with excesive bitz remaining (great if you want to convert Wolf Scouts), this models alone cost 74 pounds, so you are saving 24, enough to buy a second Space Wolf pack of 10, a Rhino, or a Drop Pod.

There are some new reboxed sets, but there are just three with some kind of savings: Strike Force Daggerfist (that features the new Wulfen miniatures) saves you only 7 GBPs, Space Wolves Greatpack, a big army box, saving you 8.5 GBPs, this two does not actually saves you a reasonable amount, BUT, Arjac's Shielbrothers saves you 13 GBPs, and I see that quite good, because its a Land Raider, 5 Wolf Terminators and Arjac Rockfist (named character).

So what do we learned this week? Two things:

1.- Start Collecting! boxes are here to stay.
    2.- Games-Workshop are still being assholes.

HeirofCarnage likes this.
  7. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

Do any of these new bundle deals include the Bastilodon? I do not have the Bastilodon.

8. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Not at the moment no, you would have thought the "Thunderbeast" set would have contained one.

9. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

It really should have included one. They should have taken out one of the Stegadons and replaced it with a Bastilodon.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  10. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Yeah especially as they are the same price or do GW have a big stock of steggys the needed to shift.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  11. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I'd guess that they probably have a more difficult time selling the Stegadon because it is an older kit.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  12. Cristhian MLR
    Terradon

Funny, Thunderbeast Host Warscroll lets you deploy a combination of flying lizards, Basties or Triceras (those guys are not Stegas) and Carnos/Trogs.

They should have offered a Basti. I'm starting and want some Start Collecting! sets, however, I'll take my time until Christmas. Looks like the boxes are now permanent range, the Spaces Wolves box just dropped last weeked (I want those guys so badly) and this week its Ork's turn. If G-W are truly changing their focus for the community, I can bet that this next Black Friday and Christmas, at the very least, Start Collecting boxes will have a reasonable or juicy discount.

Oh yeah, next saturday its about 40K again, and a quite intensive one, Orks, Tau, a new game mode and apparently the return of Deathwatch and Genestealer Cult.

There is also a rumor for an AoS boxed game for this summer (just in time for the Warcraft movie, lol).

13. Cristhian MLR
    Terradon

BREAKING NEWS: It looks like Games-Workshop will give away some armies. I don't know yet how to upload an image, but you can check it out here on the 40K page from G-W.

Spread the voice.

14. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

Whut... Huh?? o_O

... ... o_O:cyclops: ... ...

15. StealthKnightSteg
    Razordon

StealthKnightSteg Well-Known Member

This is what my local GW shop said on FB:

16. StealthKnightSteg
    Razordon

17. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

Yes i also read it. You spend the set amount of money and you enter the competition.
    The prices are:
    1. Hobby box/kit : so much hobby stuff: painting books, tools, all brushes, all existing paints and a project box
    2. Scenery: Either AoS or WH40K
    3. Models: MODELS UP TO 2.600€!!!!
    Im right now trying to figure out what should I order... :D

18. Old One Didums
    Skink

Old One Didums Member

I'm looking at the Start collecting Seraphon box set

19. StealthKnightSteg
    Razordon

As I said on the empire forum: it's a good marketing strategy. And as I'm getting a nice year bonus I will enter it. Not sure what to do with 2600 euro's of unbuilt, unpainted models though.. would scare the hell out of me! But that hobby bundle and scenery bundle is really something I would like!

20. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Same here, do I start a death army?

Jorgik likes this.