1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GW News: Battleshock GONE! and more! AoS 4

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Cristhian MLR, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Gorgeous models, really.

2. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Both of those models look really great. GW really is the best model maker in the entire industry.

3. Captaniser
    Carnasaur

Captaniser Well-Known Member

With their prices they better be. Most of the miniatures they have created post 2012 have been of stellar quality, and I wonder when they will show of the new monolith for the necrons.

4. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

well the do look rather grand. Not sure if I actually like em though, they somehow don't feel like necrons. Maybe it's just that they have too much personality while the average necron is of course completly personality-less.

5. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

In the case of Szarekh that’s the point, the ruling Necrons have most, if not all, of their personality intact, while that privilege was never granted to the ordinary Necrons.

Captaniser and ChapterAquila92 like this.
  6. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

I guess, but somehow it just strikes me as too much. The other necron heroes are also supposed to have (some part) of their personality left intact. But for the most part they're still relativly indistinct from other necron and eachother, they get a slightly different head, a fancier weapon. But there's nothing quite as grand, opulent, or showboaty as this. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautifull model, and it just screams "I am the true king, bow down to me". It's just that this somehow doesn't fit with the necrons as a whole.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  7. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Is there rumored to be one in production?

I blame Matt Ward.

8. Captaniser
    Carnasaur

GW showcased this picture of some of the revamped and new Necron models a while ago.
    [​IMG]

9. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Ah... yes. I remember now. Thank you! :)

10. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

How is this his fault? :p

11. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

@NIGHTBRINGER dislikes the 5th Edition book which first brought in Szarekh the Silent King and current Tomb-Kingy Necron Lore as we know it, and Matt Ward wrote it, so he's been the target of hate from every 3rd Edition Necron fan since the 5th Edition release in 2011. I personally thought the 5th Edition lore was much more interesting than the 3rd Edition C'Tan-ruled 40K Terminators which didn't fit with the Egyptian aesthetic of the models, but to each their own.

At least we agree that the Void Dragon model looks great (I also thought Szarekh looks awesome but there we are, can't please everyone)

Warden, Captaniser and Canas like this.
  12. Captaniser
    Carnasaur

I've got news about the Sons of Behemat.

Firstly the aleguzzler gargants will be re-named to Mancrushers and have their points increased by 20 so they are at 180, and they can be in units up to 3. The new mega gargants will cost 490 for the gate breaker and kraken eater. 480 for the warstomper.

13. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Pretty much what @Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl said. In the old lore, the Necrons had become a tragic mechanical race bound in servitude to their star god masters, the C'tan. As such, there were no kingly Necrons that you described in your original post; they were all slaves. Now they are just a cheap facsimile of the Tomb Kings with a space ascetic added to them.

Warden likes this.
  14. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

It's probably a good job they are given that Tomb Kings themselves are no longer supported - they're the closest thing we have to TK still being produced.

15. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Meh, I don't mind that they're essentially just tomb kings in space. But imho, their models fit much better with a broken race, bound in servitude, that never quite manages to shake of the shackles even after overthrowing the C'tan. Faceless masses, with hunched backs and skeletal bodies. The best they can hope for being to rise to the rank of overseer, overseeing the lesser servants but ultimatly still bound together in the same wretched fate.. Either falling to madness or giving in to cold calculating cruelty to ensure their own station.

On the other hand this guy basicly just looks like Space Nagash. Arrogant and certain in his right to rule, with not a hint to his time as a servant to the C'tan, or even of the fallen glory of his empire. Same with that new C'tan shard. It doesn't look like a shard. Both of these look like they're in their prime and expect you to bow down to them.

Also, look what I found on the internets. I feel like this is appropriate given the context :p
    [​IMG]

16. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Still just a facsimile!

I prefer the one and true Tomb Kings. I don't need them to be supported as I already own them and have a fully usable (although weak) book for my beloved 8th edition. Settra does not serve!

17. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

In the old lore they were bound in servitude. Forever destined to live out the catastrophic deal they made with the C'tan. They traded away their souls for immortality and power; an eternal bargain.

That's exactly why I like the C'tan model. I hate the concept of the shards. You're absolutely right, the C'tan looks like it is it's prime... as it should be! So if someone is looking for a shard, it isn't a great model... but if someone is looking for an intact C'tan, it's pretty damn impressive.

Warden and Canas like this.
  18. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

In all honesty, I like the C'tan being shards. Having both master and servant be broken, desperatly trying to regain their former glory, fits nicely in the grimdark of warhammer.

19. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

A fair take.

For me the C'tan were already interesting in the old lore. They were a mighty race that eventually turned on each other. Brother consumed brother until only four remained. They wiped mass quantities of life from the universe and had to go into a deep sleep until life replenished itself. Now, after millions upon millions of years of slumber, they emerge and start to grow strong again... and with their awakening, so to do their metallic enslaved minions rise once more.

Canas and Tk'ya'pyk like this.
  20. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Agreed, it’s on a Carnifex-size base which makes it substantially bigger and more impressve than the other C’Tan models yet GW still decided to label that one as a shard despite it being so big. Doesn’t make that much sense

NIGHTBRINGER and Warden like this.