1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GW News: magic and prayers in #NewAoS

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Cristhian MLR, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Dried blood is brown, not red. So I guess that is just paint.

2. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Meh, still seems weird in this particular situation. Those others feel more like they'd actually work together better.

They simply forget them in the thing I linked earlier. They now have the pictures there as well. They look decent, though weirdly lacking in bones for a faction that so far was all about the bones.

3. Captaniser
    Carnasaur

Captaniser Well-Known Member

I really wonder how large the skeleton is because i think it would make for a great mourngul conversion.

4. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

I think it makes much more sense to have all the Ogres back together within a single faction.

5. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

It does given that all the miniatures currently around had originally been designed to be in a single faction (Ogre Kingdoms), but with reference to @Canas's point, given that GW changed the lore of some of the Ogres (those in the Beastclaw Raiders subfaction) but are now going to reunite that subfaction with the other one that always preserved the essentials of the original Ogre lore, won't the lore for the combined Ogre Mawtribes faction now be a bit more disjointed than the original Ogre Kingdoms lore?

I don't know, perhaps GW will make some effort to reintegrate them together (indeed I hope so). As you say it makes more sense for them to be brought back together, not just because of the original Ogre Kingdoms army in Fantasy, but it also fits with the combined Goblin and later combined Orc factions in the Destruction Grand Alliance (Destruction creatures of the same species but different backgrounds banding together to backstab/bash/eat everyone else). I just hope that GW do manage to bridge the lore gap that currently exists between the two subfactions like they did with the Ironjawz and Bonesplitterz for Orc Warclans.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  6. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

mm, if they change up the lore a bit it would be fine. I do hope they do that. Apart from the werid diverigent lore combining them makes perfect sense.

7. Aginor
    Slann

Btw, concerning Battletome releases:
    GW is really working through their backlog.

If I see that correctly there are only 3 Battletomes that are still from AoS 1.0 and have not been updated for 2.0 yet: Seraphon, Kharadron Overlords and Disciples of Tzeentch.

And then there is one faction that they could make to basically include all remaining miniatures, Slaves to Darkness + Everchosen. Probably a "Cities of Sigmar" style soup tome.

Or am I missing a current AoS faction?

8. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

slaves to darkness should become the darkoath I guess.

But yeah, they've updated most things now.

9. Aginor
    Slann

But.... if they become Darkoath that would remove the funny name. Nurgle and Slaanesh dig StDs. :D

Canas, Captaniser and ChapterAquila92 like this.
  10. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Our time will come!

11. Aginor
    Slann

I just noticed that technically the Nurgle and Legions of Nagash books as well as those of KO, IDK, DoK and Khorne predate second edition of AoS, but the writers have said multiple times that starting with Nurgle they they wrote the rules with 2.0 already in mind.
    That is also reflected in the visual style of the Battletomes (new logo and so on).

ChapterAquila92 likes this.
  12. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Nagash effectivly has 10 tomes anyway since all undeath subfactions are Nagash so they can wait...

And yeah, Nurgle was the first with the new summoning mechanics, was the first with a terrain piece & had some properly unique faction nonsense with their cycle of decay mechanic. It's noticeable how much fancier it is compared to earlier tomes.

Aginor likes this.
  13. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I hadn't realized that Kharadron Overlords were so neglected. I think they are among the cooler AoS factions.

14. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Aside from their initial release I don't think they've really gotten anything. They got a shadespire warband I guess. And they're feature fairly frequently in the fluff as they are traders and mercenaries, so they're easy to insert.

15. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

That's a shame. They are a pretty unique and cool looking faction.

Just curious, are they even competitive in the AoS landscape? Are they near the top or bottom?

16. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

If I remember correctly they were super powerfull for a short while being able to outshoot basicly everything. But after a while the introduction of look out sir & the new factions being superfast (and thus immeadiatly in their gunline to rip them apart) indirectly nerfed them. Also they're one of the few factions without a significant magic presence so the malign portent rules caused them to fall behind as well. Overall I think they don't do super well on tournaments currently.

In more friendly games they should be fine though. If only cuz their entire army shoots & having a range advantage makes up for a lot...

17. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Faction focus for bone people

• They have a army wide 6++, but at least it requires them to be near a "luitanent" unit or hero. Luitanents appear to be the alpha's of each unit. I think. Which makes this range requirement a bit pointless.
    • They're immune to battleshock cuz they're super elite and stuff. Why the battleshock-phase is still a thing at this point is anyones guess. Despite it being one of the more interesting mechanics as routing an enemy by applying just enough pressure is far more satisfying mechanicly than killing every single one of em in a big brawl...
    • They have special command abilities that use seperate command points (on top of the usual ones I guess in case you have allies). Also a lot of their regular units have these command abilities. Cuz you know they're all elite and stuff. This also means that you generate far more points so you can spam the various abilities. And of course it has the sideeffect of your army not falling apart when the heroes die cuz apparently everything's a hero in this army I guess.
    • They aren't summonable, cuz they're elite and stuff. Nagash and Arkhan can still heal them though (how does that work if they don't have the summonable keyword?)
    • Their statline is impressive cuz you know they're elite and stuff. Lots of wounds, high save, lots of attacks, lots of rend. They're not superfast though.
    • Did I mention they're elite and stuff?
    Imho, this is some ridiculously powerfull nonsense, with the only apparent weakness so far being that they're relativly slow. But I'm sure they probably have some movement based command abilities and other shenanigans to make up for that. I do hope they're going to be super expensive pointwise though, cuz for example mortek guard, their regular unit, is a horde unit. Has a 4+ save and a 6++, with spears they have 2" 2/3+/4+/-/1 or with blades they have 1" 2/3+/4+/-1/1 and they have a command ability to reroll failed save rolls. And that's just what's shown off. It seems rather powerfull for a basic unit, so unless their pointcosts are astronomical, or there's some massive drawback they haven't shown yet I feel like they're definitly going to be the new flavor of the month army...

Also, why is there like no focus on the ogers? It's weird, a new tome and barely any announcements.

Imrahil likes this.
  18. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Because they are not elite and stuff? ;)

Imrahil, Seraphandy and Canas like this.
  19. Aginor
    Slann

They are also quite interesting Lore-wise.
    Sadly they are not very effective right now.

20. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

yeah, if not for spells that target the bravery, GW could simply remove that stat.