1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GW News: magic and prayers in #NewAoS

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Cristhian MLR, Jan 23, 2016.

1. bOdziO Wolf
    Ripperdactil

bOdziO Wolf Well-Known Member

Artanis Eltherion is a pretty good model :)

2. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

For me it is the other way round.
    I don't mind Teclis at all, just the Sphinx' head.

Still way better as the Bonereapers Mortarch.

Carnikang, Imrahil and Canas like this.
  3. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

In fairness, not a high bar to pass.

Carnikang, Aginor and Imrahil like this.
  4. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Lord-Marcus Sixth Spawning

barding is questionable because they are greek themed. the ancient world, especially the greeks, did not really use barding. Some decorative furniture? sure. Full barding was used later in period by the parthians, persians, and anyone else who could afford cataphracts.

5. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Cataphracts were already in use by the persians/assyrians/whatever was in power in that corner of the world from quite early on. The earliest depictions of them in art are from the 13th century BC according to wikipedia. Even if the greeks needed some time to catch on. Though in fairness, the greeks didn't use much cavalry in general, so of course they didn't invest the necesary time & resources to get heavy armoured cavalry.

So meh, I could imagine the greeks using barding like this had they actually developed proper cavalry on their own. And since we're already imagining the greeks are now elves who fight side by side with their creator who has a weird sphinx thing for a pet, armoured cavalry isn't much of a stretch anymore :p

6. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Lord-Marcus Sixth Spawning

Right, hence it being acceptable as a spiritual successor to high elves, but also meh.

I also am put off by GWs ridiculous naming habits for armies.

7. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

The ridiculous naming combined with the eh, "unique" designs at times so stuff is easier to copyright can be a bit weird yeah. Ossiarchs are a prime example, but here too, some of it is a tad overdone. In the case of the aelves they could've done with slightly less extreme of a helmet plume, especially for the regular spearmen (especially their captain is more plume than aelve...).

ChapterAquila92 likes this.
  8. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

The Seraphon Battletome won’t be coming this week, as GW have planned to release the Ogre and Nurgle Beastsgrave warbands and the Chaos vs Death campaign book that was previewed on the New Year Open Day. Maybe next week!

ChapterAquila92 and Carnikang like this.
  9. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

Tk'ya'pyk Well-Known Member

On the subject of Elves, the original High Elves had that kind of Persian/Post-Alexander Greek look to them anyway, so them having armored cavalry isn't all that off. I miss the properly pointy helmets they used to have, but I am loving those fan-shaped plumes! They kept the scale-armor aesthetic from the old High Elf army, kept the flowing robes look they used to have, and just modernized it. I miss the older aesthetic, but I am quite happy with the new look!

Except for Teclis. I like the Sphinx - the mask is a little odd, but well in keeping with the Sphinx mythos. Teclis, however, looks like someone shoved a stick where the sun doesn't shine... :meh:

10. WildColonial Boy
    Bastiladon

WildColonial Boy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]Merry-go-round horses

Tk'ya'pyk likes this.
  11. WildColonial Boy
    Bastiladon

WildColonial Boy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]courtesy of The 9th Age

12. Carnikang
    Carnasaur

Carnikang Well-Known Member

Can't see it for some reason.

13. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Neither can I, it says you are ‘not authorised to view this content’ so I’m assuming you have to be an existing member

14. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

For anyone interested in the Greater Good...

Aginor and Lizerd like this.
  15. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

GW doesn't put many "make terrain from scratch" tutorials anymore; makes sense because why build your own terrain from cardboard when you can buy plastic terrain?

...that being said, I noticed this gem tucked inside an article today:

making books 1.jpg
    making books 2.jpg

making books 3.jpg

Aginor, Tk'ya'pyk, Carnikang and 8 others like this.
  16. bOdziO Wolf
    Ripperdactil

bOdziO Wolf Well-Known Member

I've noticed that Azyr and Shyish physical copies are improperly backed up on the same geographical location :p

Warden, Lizerd and Imrahil like this.
  17. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Carnikang, Warden, Lizerd and 2 others like this.
  18. Cristhian MLR
    Troglodon

Cristhian MLR Well-Known Member

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

[​IMG]

Also, angry ladies:

[​IMG]

Also brutal and kunnin' squigs.

[​IMG]

19. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

kinda curious about the squig box and why they put it together. It's such a random collection with no internal cohesie.

20. Cristhian MLR
    Troglodon

Cristhian MLR Well-Known Member

So, let us take a look at the new stuff GW released today for us!:

• Lizards now come in two types with specific rules:
    • The Starborne, our hard light lizard daemons we've got since this ride called AoS started, floating over Azyr.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• And The Coalesced, who are now "feral" Seraphon, now made of actual organic material, and who terraformed parts of the realms to call them home and trying to recreate the lush jungles of Lustria. Huzzah! If you generated your own City a while ago, you can do it!

As example, I created "Dragonberg", a nick name from dawi explorer about my Seraphon City, established in The Realm of Life, and trying to make their own Temple-City ala Old School Fantasy. If you have done something similar, now it technically counts as cannon!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Subfactions, for both, including the Thunder Lizard, that will allow us to STOMP WITH AN ARMY MADE ONLY OF A HERD OF CHUNKY STEGGIES. They will explain how later on the week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• BUFFS! Skink Oracles are now fully-fledged WIZARDs, with +1 on casting, dispelling and unbinding, and one of Lord Kroak's spells: Comet's Call!

Meanwhile, our trusty Warriors get a -1 Rend on Clubs and Ordered Cohort got buffed to 15 models per unit.

• Bound Endless Spell: We didn't got any new exclusive new endless spells, but we are still masters of magic: our predatory spells from Malign Sorcery ARE NOW ONLY MOVED BY US (EAT YOUR HEART OUT, BITZEENTCH).

• Our new scenery, Realmshaper Engine, is the reason why we can terraform in-cannon, making lush vegetation and dank ̶m̶e̶m̶e̶s̶ swamps. The model itself has double sided walls and stairs, so you can make a ziggurat either clean or with vines growing on the sides. Will make a fun magnetizing project, but, why would a Lizard player want a ziggurat without overgrowth anyway?

[​IMG]

• In-game, they are basically a bunker for up to 20 Wounds. If you garrison a WIZARD or PRIEST inside, then:

[​IMG]

I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW HYPED I AM RIGHT NOW. Sure, I could've liked to get a Sotek's Fangs and other flavor endless spell, but at long last we are getting new stuff. I almost feel like a moon is falling over us!

Sure it has been a whole while. We haven't got anything since our last Battletome back when AoS started, and we were the third faction to officially join the fray.

Chaossss will fall!

Warm-bloodssss will learn!
    The Great Plan will be realised!