1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GW News: Combat phase in #NewAoS

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Cristhian MLR, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Xasto
    Terradon

Xasto Well-Known Member

You're comparing a mortal to daemons tho.

2. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Ah, thought you just meant you didn't like the models. It is fitting enough I guess…
    Still.. expected some of the daemons to look like they would while under the effect of their glamour.

Nurgle's daemons look some combination of desease riddled monsters with loads of boyles, puss & flies, but also often leaping with joy at spreading grandfather's blessing.
    Khorne's daemons look like violent angry creatures, but also like powerfull warriors in their prime,
    Tzeentch's daemons look weird, fluctuating & mutated, but there's also plenty of hints that they're knowledgable and powerfull wizards with all their books and whatnot.
    Slaanesh's daemons just look like angry people that took bdsm rather much too far... there's nothing in there hinting at the glamour & seduction they're supposed to have.

Basicly they seem to be the only ones that don't embody the positive aspect of their specific god in any way. Which raises the question, why the hell would anyone follow em. At least I can believe a mortal being seduced by the promise of arcane knowledge presented by a tzeentch horror. Or the promise of power presented by a bloodletter. Or the promise of eh, salvation from pain? Joy? whatever it is nurgle actually promises by a cheerfull nurgling. I can't really imagine any of the slaaneshy daemons triggering any reaction other than "aaaaaaaaah kill it with fire" in a mortal when it comes to bargain and seduce...

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

It's all about the symphony of experience and sensation. Still fitting with the Slaanesh theme. Plus it is musical, so it has precedence on the 40k side of things.

I agree with this. The theme that you are describing is what I would like to see GW focus on. Something in the style of Witch Elves.

Canas likes this.
  4. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

To be honest I don't get why the daughters of khaine are in the style they're in, especially Morathi looks like the perfect description of a slaaneshi follower. Regal and beautifull on the onset, some horrible monstrousity once her "true" form is unleashed.The khinerai have that vibe going as well, elegant beautifull and dominating, but simultaniously vicious & harpy-like, especially the ones with the masks.

NIGHTBRINGER and ChapterAquila92 like this.
  5. ChapterAquila92
    Skar-Veteran

ChapterAquila92 Well-Known Member

Holdovers from when Morathi ran the Cult of Pleasure before the End Times, I guess.

Canas and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  6. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

To be honest I still don't fully grasp why DoK is not in the Chaos alliance.
    For me those are more Slaaneshi than the actual Slaanesh guys.

7. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Cuz slaanesh ate them originally and so morathi hates her I guess? To be honest morathi being a pretender to take slaanesh her/his/its spot as a chaos god would actually work well both aesthetically and in terms of fluff.

ChapterAquila92 and Aginor like this.
  8. Xasto
    Terradon

Xasto Well-Known Member

Because they do not worship Chaos gods. They look like this because the souls were retrieved from the belly of Slaanesh, and left scarred by this ordeal. Morathi too was saved from Slaanesh. And I do believe it is mentioned somewhere, probably in their battletome, that they hate their condition. They hated the Chaos gods before, but now they're burning with rage, especially angry with Slaanesh for altering their form.

Up to you to decide if that fits your biscuit, personnally I think it's great fluff and explains well their appearance.

Also we're probably getting Slaanesh mortals at some point, I'd reserve any judgement until we get the full lineup release.

9. Aginor
    Slann

Thanks for the explanations!

I just noticed that they were "Cult of Pleasure" before and looked at them, and thought: huh. That looks Slaaneshi.

ChapterAquila92 likes this.
  10. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Possibly, but so far the only daemon I've seen that feels slaanesh-y is the harpplayer. It has a nice theme of art & excess going. Plus, the madness of playing the harp of all instruments in the middle of a battlefield is fitting. The rest just looks like a sorta undistinct monstrous faction, based around crabs, anteaters and snakes, but there's nothing in the other units that really plays on any of slaanesh's themes as far as I can tell. Which I find weird. Regardless not going to be my faction though, so ultimatly it won't matter much.

Minor sidenote, what is with slaanesh's obsession with pincers?

11. Aginor
    Slann

I'd say it is a BDSM thing.

12. Aginor
    Slann

Also: They got CRABS!!! :D ROFL

ChapterAquila92 and Canas like this.
  13. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Why crab-pincers though? They're so big and bulky. Not to mention that those things should make drowning themselfes in excess rather difficult, opposable thumbs and fingers are rather nice for playing their creepy human harp and whatever else they do in their free time.

Somehow I feel like that might be the actual reason… it's just a really dumb visual pun that one of the designers thought was hilarious and it somehow stuck.

ChapterAquila92 likes this.
  14. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

That's what I want to see released.

15. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

I guess because chopping them out of Dark Elfs would somewhat gut the faction? (For those that liked the faction...)

I think your first impression was spot on.

Not buying the explanation Xasto posted ...official though it might be.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  16. ChapterAquila92
    Skar-Veteran

ChapterAquila92 Well-Known Member

Morathi also has a bit of a god complex in large part to her son Malekith becoming a god in the Sigmarite pantheon, and is secretly using the still-beating heart of Khaine for her own benefit.

17. pendrake
    Skink Priest

This is why I don’t read fluff...

18. pendrake
    Skink Priest

What was-is “ROC” from today’s thread title? It is too short to use as a search term (tried it :banghead: ) in the Forum search engine.

O for of? Hmm, Realm of Chaos?

19. Aginor
    Slann

I think so....

20. Xasto
    Terradon

Xasto Well-Known Member

I'm not selling anything just trying to inform on official lore. Up to you to take it or leave it. Ultimately lore will never be universally loved, some prefer the old world stuff and others the AoS stuff. I personally prefer AoS but I can see fantasy had some good bits. To each their own!

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.