1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GW News: Battleshock GONE! and more! AoS 4

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Cristhian MLR, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

There are two previews coming this week - the first is Gen Con, on Thursday at 3PM, and the second is the Warhammer World preview at the crazy time of 9PM on Saturday. Here’s hoping we hear more about the Tomb Kings’ spiritual successor faction for AoS and the scenery piece and endless spells coming for the Orc Warclans!

Aginor, Koriialstraz and Killer Angel like this.
  2. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Koriialstraz likes this.
  3. Koriialstraz
    Temple Guard

Koriialstraz Well-Known Member

Same for me, it's always reassure

4. Koriialstraz
    Temple Guard

Koriialstraz Well-Known Member

5. Captaniser
    Carnasaur

Captaniser Well-Known Member

6. Captaniser
    Carnasaur

Slaan.PNG

Oh and hello new profile picture.

7. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Those look pretty awful in my opinion.

The Saurus look like they just came out of an Orthodontist office, the Skinks' eyes/face are off putting and the Camo Skink's hands look terrible. Hard pass for me!

8. Captaniser
    Carnasaur

The new Beastgrave is here and it is Beastmen vs half-beast Elves.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Captaniser
    Carnasaur

I think they are going for the skink designs that blood Bowl 2 have.

[​IMG]

10. ravagekitteh
    Skink Chief

ravagekitteh Well-Known Member

I’m afraid I’m going to have to agree. The Saurus actually look fairly good in my opinion, but the Skinks just look awful. Way too cartoony and silly

ChapterAquila92 likes this.
  11. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

It works in the video game, but I think they did a poor job translating it to the physical models.

12. Aginor
    Slann

I like the Blood Bowl Lizardmen, to me they look adorable.
    Blood Bowl has a kinda goofy style to it (well, at least for many miniatures) so I think they fit in well.

The only thing I mildly dislike are the Saurus face-protection bar thingies with teeth, I'd probably just leave them off.

13. little-myth
    Carnasaur

little-myth Well-Known Member

I was busy wrapping my sister's presents and I turned my neck round after loading Facebook and saw the Blood Bowl Lizardmen.
    Love them, the Skinks could make nice little decorations to large monster bases or Slann and the Saurus, yeah I would leave those bars off. When I first glimpsed I thought 'what happened to their teeth?' till I looked closer.
    Also excited for the Beastmen, then I wonder about it, being that it's Beastgrave I wonder if Seraphon will appear this time. Creatures and all.

Captaniser and ChapterAquila92 like this.
  14. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Imho they look quite good. However, the poses for the skinks are fairly awefull. They're already quite silly creatures with big eyes and big heads, the little outfits don't help either. But they're also posed not really doing anything so they look like they're just stumbling around confused. With the exception of the chameleon who's actually trying to catch something.

In contrast the saurus at least look like they're trying to catch or tackle something. Their gear also looks a lot more fitting. Though the mouthguard is a bit odd.

The style itself is neat though. But I think that they really need to have something in their hands, or an opponent to run at, for them to not look like bumbling idiots like this.

15. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Also, just looked at the little release video, the skinks look a hell of a lot better in there as they're surrounded by other models so they actually look like they're dashing between their opponents as opposed to drunkenly stumbling around. So yeah, definitly not a model to put on its own against a white background like they do in that picture.

16. Oh_Man
    Kroxigor

Oh_Man Well-Known Member

Damn when are we gonna get some actual models... only thing usable here I reckon it the Slann statue. Chuck it on top of a Stegadon?

17. Aginor
    Slann

Same here. :D

As for the new Wood Elves:
    Gah... I do _kinda_ like them, but to be honest I liked Aelves better that were just normal... Aelves. Perhaps I am a bit too conservative, I like Tolkienesque fantasy races.
    But I still like them enough to play a small army of those.
    Orion's dudes basically, created in his image. Probably allied with Sylvaneth and hopefully keeping some of the old models. Can't wait for their lore.

18. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

I still remember playing Turok 2 and using the big head cheat and wondering

"What would chibi lizardmen look like?"

I now hate myself for ever having allowed that thought to creep into my head.
    Those skinks are embarrassing and they're done digitally?

I'm not saying this out of bitterness, or even anger, I would not be proud of those skinks, nor would I want to be associated with them.
    And yet feedback from the people that sculpted those is more valuable than money.

As for the saurus.....er, 6 out of 10, wouldn't buy but could easily convert.
    Sculptor needs to seriously look at his leg muscles around the knee, quads do not form random round lumps on the lateral side of the leg.

BB-SS.jpg

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  19. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

I think this is great, as firstly it’s the first ever Warhammer Underworlds starter set, and the second ever AoS starter set after the Warcry box, to NOT have Sigmarines in it (which gives a glimmer of hope for the rest of AoS that we may be seeing slightly less Sigmarine focus in future) and secondly that it features an evolution of a classic Fantasy matchup, Beastmen vs what seem to be the more unique AoS version of Wood Elves. As @Aginor says they look to be based off the Cult of Kurnous part of the original Wood Elf Army (Wild Riders and Wardancers) and merged with Ancient Greek Satyrs and Centaurs (especially as they’re called Kurnothi). I do think it’s a shame that GW are showing less favour towards all the original factions as well, but seeing as they’ve done this sort of thing with Dwarfs (Fyreslayers and Kharadron), Dark Elves (Daughters of Khaine) and High Elves (Idoneth) already, something like this was going to be on the cards, although I was concerned that they were only going to evolve Sylvaneth from Wood Elves and do nothing with the Elf part. I like these chaps a lot, especially because we never saw anything along the line of (good-aligned) centaurs and satyrs/fauns in the main editions of Fantasy (as they’re generally portrayed to be aligned with the good side in other fantasy realms rather than evil as the Beastmen portrayed them in Fantasy), and like them a good deal more than Sylvaneth. Perhaps Orion the Great Hunter himself might return? That would be great.

Also, for 40K fans, the long foretold Aeronautica Imperialis has arrived, and for the first time in accursed 8th Edition, Xenos are in the starter set, in the classic Imperium vs Orks matchup!
    [​IMG]
    This is wonderful news, as I was worried this would go the same way as that failure called Adeptus Titanicus :vomit: and be set in the Horus Heresy, but it seems GW have finally remembered what 40K was all about and have brought back Imperium vs Xenos awesomeness in the starter set! I can now certainly see Craftworld Eldar, Necrons, Dark Eldar and Tau appear in this game as well, as they all have flyers of their own in the main game, although I’m uncertain about the other major power player in the galaxy - Tyranid flyers are all living creatures, which might be more difficult for GW to represent in the rules, even though I can see Genestealer Cultists stealing Imperial flyers and daubing them in their cult markings. However, Fantasy Flight Games have included Droid ships from the prequel trilogy, which pilot themselves like Tyranid flying monsters do, in X-Wing, so if this new game is anything like X-Wing, there is still hope.

And concerning the Lizardmen Blood Bowl team, I’m just happy to see GW favouring us lizards again. The Saurus look pretty similar to the later Saurus models in the Fantasy 8th Edition release (like the Oldblood on Carnosaur), although as you all say, the guards on the front of their helmets do look a bit pointless as it would stop them biting the enemy players (but this can be mitigated by cutting them off or leaving them off). The Skink poses do look a bit odd, but I think it would be worth waiting until having the models in your hands before giving your final judgement on them, as we don’t know what they look like on every angle yet. Also as others say, other races have some silly poses (like the Halflings) so I imagine it’s supposed to be a bit tongue-in-cheek here and there.

Overall, there was nothing in that preview that didn’t make me at least smile (which is rare considering some of the rubbish GW does still insist on making these days), so good job GW!

20. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

The skinks very much suffer from having nothing to pose against. All three of em are dodging out of the way of something. But without that something being visible it just looks like they're wobbling around confused, especially with their huge eyes. Look at the trailer, they look a lot better with some skaven next to them.

The flyer game does actually look awesome. Maybe I can finally convince my gf's brother to play a game and tip him into the hobby :p