1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GW News: magic and prayers in #NewAoS

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Cristhian MLR, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Bracnos
    Carnasaur

Bracnos Well-Known Member

Ya it looks like it has a broken wing lol

Jorgik and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  2. Cristhian MLR
    Troglodon

Cristhian MLR Well-Known Member

The Star Drake is actually amazing, but it has an terrible mistake: the arms and chest. Looks like if they based that specific part of the model upon trandicional Godzilla belly and fat legs. It looks terrible. Basically just an oversized Dracoth with wings and a long neck. They need to make the Drakes more different. I also have problems with the wings, I don't like how many phalanxes they have, but I could be okay if it want because they are static on tha pose.

Also I love FW dragons, yet I can compare the star drake to them, Something I would like to say about the classic dragons from GW.

On other news: 40K Game "Lost Patrol" will revive on this June, meanwhile, Bretts are already getting out of stock. Gather them if you wanted to collect them.

3. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
    HeirofCarnage and pendrake like this.
  4. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Forgeworld Dragons > Classic GW Dragons > Just about anything else > Star Drake

:p

Of course aesthetics are a personal thing.

Jorgik likes this.
  5. little-myth
    Carnasaur

little-myth Well-Known Member

I might get the Star Drake for altering purpose. Re-pose and maybe alternate wings, not sure on wings yet.
    But damn I have so much to do I shouldn't really push myself but then I want to....

6. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

I recommend you save it for after, but I know the buying magnet is usually too strong...

7. Cristhian MLR
    Troglodon

Official cover for the next White Dwarf:

[​IMG]

I have to say that this one look far better than the other schemes they showed up. Really this specific colours surprised me.

Also, news for Blood Bowl, which will release on less than 12 months: http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2016/03/blood-bowl-latest-from-gw.html

Off-Topic: Yesterday, GW Blog team posted this guy:

[​IMG]

Is it hilarious? yeah, but I have to say that this convertion works quite well.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
    PhoenixTheCat and dwarfepic like this.
  8. StealthKnightSteg
    Razordon

StealthKnightSteg Well-Known Member

I like the new Star Drake, it is pricy but huge as well.. if you compare it to the Dracothian Guard that is mostly in those pictures.

9. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Caprasauridae Well-Known Member

Still not a huge fan of the Dragon, but the head is magnificent! I hope it comes with several head options. That way I can buy the head from a bits store and use for conversions!

HeirofCarnage and Crowsfoot like this.
  10. Cristhian MLR
    Troglodon

Sadly, only 2 heads. Still I would liked it to have more wing poses, because if not, he looks just like a huge dracoth.

11. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

That's true, the head is pretty good! The rest is abysmal.

12. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Two is enough. The point was that it's harder to find the bits that are not optional on bits stores. Or more expensive.

Bracnos likes this.
  13. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

No.

[​IMG]
    I'll bite. Why is this hilarious?

Dog escaped leash....stole axe from a dwarf king...white armour...

14. Bracnos
    Carnasaur

Yes I have noticed since last November bits stores are kinda drying up...why is that

15. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

I haven't noticed that much drying up, just that bits stores are avoiding "risk purchases", that are hard to sell in their entirety. Like the new Bloodthirsters. Also, the ever rising prices of post services are a problem, at least with UK based stores.

16. Cristhian MLR
    Troglodon

See? There's always a bright side on everything.

Its on preorder now, and you can see it at 360°: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-WW/Stormcast-Eternals-Stardrake

Its surprising how a terrible angle used in all publicity could make the actual miniature look bad. From the rest of the angles they look quite great.

Also, they are supposed to have different poses for the wings too.

Now, 85 british pounds for one. I could actually consider grab one of this guys, seems fair enough (for me guys, don't throw me rocks, please).

Lastl, Warhammer Fest tickets are available to sell now.

Jorgik likes this.
  17. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I agree that most models have some redeeming feature, but too little too late... especially at that price tag.

I would argue the opposite ("argue" in a friendly non rock throwing sort of way :)). I think that price is absolutely brutal. For comparisons sake consider...

comp2.JPG comp1.JPG

Look at that contrast in price. $170 vs. $64.50. The Star Drake is 2.6 times as expensive :wideyed:. I the only argument that I can imagine being made is that the Stardrake is likely the larger of the two. Aside from that...
    • they are both dragons
    • they are both made of plastic
    • they are both centerpiece models
    • they both come with a range of options (multiple heads, multiple weapons, etc.)
    • they are both highly detailed
    • they are both produced by the same company
    Personally I like the look of the Black Dragon far better, but that is personal aesthetics. The argument can be made either way depending on personal preference. I believe the Black Dragon also comes with a completely different alternate rider which is cool, I'm not sure about the Stardrake (edit: looks like it does too... as least as much one stormcast is different from another :p) .

Having said that, the relative worth of a model is extremely subjective and thus if the model is worth that cost to you then by all means buy it (no rocks will be thrown I promise :angelic:). Many people will buy it... which is what GW is banking on. I'm just wondering how far they can push the envelope; when does it become too much?... $250, $300, etc.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
    HeirofCarnage, Warden and Bracnos like this.
  18. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

Now that the 360 view came out I have to say sorry to GW for saying this mini sucked. I actually like it now and I have to agree with @Cristhian MLR that it looks a lot better from other angles. The only things that make it look bad are the front legs and the armor. Although I also I don´t like the wings. They look more to be for gliding and landing more softly than to actually elevate itself in the air and fly, they are waaaaay too small; and those wing arms are so small they seem like if they were going to snap under the weight when ever the dragon took off. I also like bulky dragons, but what make the old dragons look like believable dragons are mostly that the wing size could be imagined to be able to lift the dragon in the air. The new stardrake´s wings don´t look like half of enough to lift that thing.
    If the wings were larger (about twice as big at least), the front legs didn´t look so bad and the armor wash´t there, I would considering buying it (if they don't increase the price with the wings, of course, it´s already expensive enough ;))

HeirofCarnage and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  19. Bracnos
    Carnasaur

I fully understand that a bad angle will make a model look like crap right. My big issues are

1. The cost wow...
    2. This model is flavored as i understand it, you should have like 3 or more on your table fluff wise. Unlike Archanon he is fluffed (to me) to be if you have him there can only be ONE :blackeye::bored:.

so thats why i can see myself one day getting Archanon as he is one of a kind and looks imposing, but with the cost of the stardrake and i see that most of the armor is optional so i can see how the model can be altered to look good but at the same time there already is models in the 200 usd range look at the dread saurian or others with shipping...let me get my thoughts together and ill post back :bag:

HeirofCarnage likes this.
  20. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

We'll you're in luck then, GW has a "DEAL" for you...
    comp3.JPG

Why buy one when you can get three at just three times the cost?! :rolleyes: