1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Had a game of AoS

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by NexS1, Jul 7, 2015.

1. NexS1
    Carnasaur

NexS1 Well-Known Member

All I can say is.....

It was interesting.
    Bases count for nothing, models that were awesome are no longer so awesome. Some rules are batshit crazy and make no sense, some are great.
    It's simple, it's easy. You get models, put them down and roll dice.

That's it. I do kind of like it. To be honest, I was getting tired of opponents challenging me (and I challenging them) on finicky rules and perfect movements, etc. This game will never, ever... Ever, ever be competitive, but a little bit of fun every now and again.

40k is the GW game for competition, it seems. But I'm kinda OK with it.

People, thoughts?

2. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

Who won, who lost, which units became less awesome?

3. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

TBH I've never understood why people are super strict with movement etc. Don't get me wrong -things should be done right, BUT unless you're playing in a tournament do for the love of god cut some slack. It's frustrating when someone have to spend 10 minutes because they're very sure the book said something obscure somewhere even more obscure.

I can understand why someone wouldn't want that, so why not do that with the current game? Cut some slack and then most opponents will do the same. That's my experience. Sometimes I also let sh1t go that's a clear advantage to my opponent because derp I'm there to have fun and not spend another 10 minutes discussing. We're also all using rules that others might not and that's again a point for discussion.

Just my opinion though.

Scalenex and Slanputin like this.
  4. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

Slanputin Well-Known Member

Which rules, if any, made the game awkward or tricky to play?
    How did the "bases count for nothing" impact upon your gameplay?
    How did you balance the game?
    What is the velocity of an unladen swallow?

5. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Mr Phat 9th Age Army Support

Because it is the single most important aspect of Warhammer as a strategy game? :D

A good general can in many cases beat a superior force if the enemy general is poor at maneuvering

"Battles are won by slaughter and maneuver. The greater the general, the more he contributes in maneuver, the less he demands in slaughter."
    Winston Churchill

They have taken maneuver out.
    While I also believe that all the angles and "oh your guys cant see that chimera standing 3'' from them,because they can only look forward!" is terribly stupid.

I like "Run" over "Marching"
    I like the way a charge works now.

I however hate that movement trays are the inferior choice
    I hate that flanks and rears aren't a thing anymore.
    I hate that Characters cant join units anymore
    (In my game my oldblood just ran with the saurus, but I realized that I had to roll for both of them when I had to charge!)

Magic also lost its soul.
    No poker in it anymore
    No calculating or risk taking ("If I get this of on two dice...I have him!")

all the important and FUN decision-making has died.
    I like to think I am playing a game, and a game isn't on autorun, which it pretty much felt like.

Gogery likes this.
  6. borkbork
    Ripperdactil

borkbork Active Member

No!!! :) that is not stupid when you consider big units (it is stupid for idividual characters or skirmishers though). Trust me, being in a big group really impairs visibility, and it most certainly impairs the reaction options of the entire unit. Off course troops on the flanks of units can see, but large units lack the command abilities to react to it quickly. And besides, in warhammer you can perfectly react to things you cannot "see" anyway. The only thing is that you cannot charge them, but missile troops can turn/reform to shoot at it without to much problem.

7. NexS1
    Carnasaur

NexS1 Well-Known Member

Phat, with ya on that. It's certainly an all dice game. There's no customisation and no what-ifs. It's simply, out models down and roll dice. And sometimes that's fun.
    I'm glad I picked up dark eldar, because it seems that 40k is the only thing with competitive merit. Also, in some ways, there is more of a tactical challenge in 40k... But perhaps that's me seeing the cup as half full.

Either way, at least I can still out my models in a game of aos. Albeit nit as seriously.

Mr Phat likes this.
  8. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Mr Phat 9th Age Army Support

9. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

I agree with all of your points, however what you quoted me for was just one thing. Some people can make a normal 2500pts game last 5-6 hours because they want to look everything up and others can do it in less than two hours.

So my point is that if you're playing a friendly game and just want to have fun then cut some slack if that's the problem. =]

I do realize movement is super important though.

Gogery likes this.
  10. NexS1
    Carnasaur

NexS1 Well-Known Member

I think they put the statue up to suck people into playing their new game. They really need to market it otherwise it will fall under the radar.
    40k is, and will remain their biggest seller

11. ElectricPaladin
    Saurus

ElectricPaladin Member

I've got to tell you... I'm excited. This new edition has gotten rid of everything that used to keep me from really getting into Fantasy.

• Wasting money on movement trays instead of new toys? No more!
    • Finicky rules system that punishes me for even the tiniest tactical mistake? Nope!

And all the stuff I loved - magic, wizard duels, giant stompy dinosaurs - they're all still there!

My next project is to make a second "stegadon" out of an old pewter stegadon and a brontosaurus toy!

Also... these forums got prettier since my last visit. Awesome.

Dog On Todd and Slanputin like this.
  12. NexS1
    Carnasaur

NexS1 Well-Known Member

Welcome back to the.... Well do we still have a jungle? Haha
    Well, hopefully, when they leave behind all old model ranges the new armies will be cool.
    I'm intrigued at least

13. borkbork
    Ripperdactil

borkbork Active Member

Sorry, but If one of my friends had said that I would have slapped him in the face with one of my movement trays. This is by far the biggest non-argument i have heard about the new game. There are dozens of low model count games out there, even ones where you can use your lizzies in. But apparentely you are happy that thousands of players who do like bigger units got shafted by GW, because you are too lazy or lack the creativity to make your own?

Sorry again, but your comment really p-eed me off somehow.....and really that doesn't happen often.

PS: Movement trays for my orc army costed me less than 10 Euros (Self made).....for over 5000 points of finished models.
    And for my 3000 point lizards it costed me less than 20 Euro (from Warbases.co.uk) and that included a number of skirmish trays.

Good luck buying GW toys for 30 euro's.

Mr Phat likes this.
  14. ElectricPaladin
    Saurus

ElectricPaladin Member

Well, you're entitled to your opinion. I'm not happy that you got shafted - I am happy that the game is more to my liking. There's a subtle difference, and if you can't appreciate that, well, I suppose I could try to explain it to you. You see, I like what I like, and you like what you like. My preference isn't an insult to you, just as your preference isn't an insult to me. Me being happy for my good fortune (ie. something in the game changing so that I like it more) doesn't mean that I'm happy that you are sad, even though we're talking about the same thing. I'm just happy... that I'm happy.

As far as movement trays go, well, I'm very happy that your finances are apparently in better order than mine, but I am on a budget, and hobby purchases are rather low down the list of priorities. Yes, movement trays aren't all that expensive. But yes, it adds up. And it doesn't help any that once I've bought a tray, or a tray kit and cut it down to size, if the game changes, there's a good chance that that purchase just became wasted money. And on top of that, time is money, and supplies cost money, so trays I made myself wouldn't be free, either. I found this situation very frustrating, and it led me away from spending too much time and money on Fantasy.

But most importantly... I'm not responsible for GW's decision making process. I'm just a dude who likes games. This game is now more to my liking. Yay for me. Boo for you. Sorry, man. Maybe you should try a different game.

15. NexS1
    Carnasaur

NexS1 Well-Known Member

Hey hey, let's not argue with each other. Not in my house gahd-dermit!
    Who cares if someone's happier with AoS than another? That's why GW did it, because they were getting stale with it, because they held no real IP on many of the themes and fluff, and because it's a high model-count game (meaning that entry costs alot). It's not the competitive players that killed it at all.

When a company makes a game and loses interest in it, there's not much that we can do about it.

16. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Let's throw down! All the Age of Sigmar players against all the Warhammer Proper players. Choose your sides, and we'll decide this via TRIAL BY COMBAT.

I wonder who would win in such a battle? :cyclops:

borkbork and ElectricPaladin like this.
  17. NexS1
    Carnasaur

NexS1 Well-Known Member

I am the king in here.
    I decide who wins - and it is me.

I win. I am the winner.
    Winner, winner, chicken dinner. Dinner for me, and I eat alone.

Slanputin and ElectricPaladin like this.
  18. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Bad Carno... back on goes your saddle. ;) Scar-vet coming through.

NexS1 likes this.
  19. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

Slanputin Well-Known Member

But what if I side with Dreadfleet?

20. NexS1
    Carnasaur

NexS1 Well-Known Member

Then you're like the people who don't vote. You get no say hehehehe