1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Has anyone found success with mass Saurus Warriors?

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Jason839, May 12, 2017.

1. Jason839
    Salamander

Jason839 Well-Known Member

When I say mass I mean like 90-120 of them. I have all these warriors on square bases from fantasy and I've recently developed a love of the sunblood. Has anyone had particular success with them?

Bowser likes this.
  2. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Can't say that I have tried. I usually use them to pay the battleline tax and move on, but I can definitely see it doing well. They hold up pretty well.

3. Stormscales
    Saurus

Stormscales Active Member

Haven't tried it, but on paper a Saurus horde looks pretty damn good. A 40-man unit gives you +1 attack with celestite weapons, with a 10-man buffer on that bonus. Along with the Sunclaw Starhost bonus (+1 attack with shields and jaws), that's a whole lotta attacks, especially if you have spears. At full size (3x40 Saurus + Sunblood + battalion cost), that's 1400 points. In a 1500-pt game, add a skink priest with priestly trappings for re-rollable 5+ saves (statistically equivalent to 3+ saves).

I mean, if you have already all the models you need, go for it. I'd hesitate to recommend an untested list to someone who's just starting to build an army, but it seems to me that all you have to lose is some games (if it doesn't pan out).

Bowser likes this.
  4. m0gstar
    Temple Guard

m0gstar Well-Known Member

Was pondering this the other day and had a plan to try it out. If I get around to it, I'll give ya a write up about it :)

Bowser likes this.
  5. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Seraphage Well-Known Member

Back when I started to build my 1st 2k I went for the Sunclaw Starhost because it was the easiest at the time. My local meta is really cheesy but I decided I'd just go for it anyways and be underpowered.

Well I wasn't that underpowered. It can't compete the cheesiest lists but I 've actually been doing quite the major victories.

So when you go for it you definitely need :
    A Sunblood
    A Sunclaw Starhost
    A Starpriest for that -1 to hit or mystic shield depending on what kind of unit it will be facing.

Good luck !

Bowser likes this.
  6. Fhanados
    Terradon

Fhanados Well-Known Member

I like the look of mass Saurus as well. I own something like 80 of them so if anyone can pull off some good games with them I'm keen to know!

Bowser likes this.
  7. Seraphage
    Stegadon

I have 2 posts of battlereports finished with a Sunclaw list that contains 50warriors - 1 of the unit is 30 man power so you can see how sturdy / damage dealing it was !

Bowser likes this.
  8. DeadlyRecluse
    Chameleon Skink

DeadlyRecluse Well-Known Member

I played a 2v2 narrative game when I was just starting out with another Seraphon player, we were only using painted models so I was using mainly big Dino's( you gotta paint the big ones first amirite), and he buys nothing but troops until he's happy with his style before moving onto the bigger guys. On my side it was a trog, a carno, ripperdactyls, cold one knights and a stegadon, while one his side there was a whopping 200 saurus, separated into units of 50 and a sunblood with bloodclaw starhost. Our opponent was skaven( the actual nightmare matchup), and dwarves(oh god please stop the mortal wound please). The dwarf players hell cannon took a very large chunk out of one of the units, and battleshock hurt him really bad even with bravery 10. But that command from the sunblood combined with all those attacks made for a very unhappy hell pit abomination, who although respawning twice, still got hit for more than all its wounds every single battle phase. I think if we hadn't got the worst matchup ever that we'd have been quite a force to reckon with. Also on another note moving that many saurus meant that his movement phases took about 5-10mins on their own. It's not something I'd do all the time cause I feel like it's get quite tedious and it's a fairly 1 dimensional list, but man was that game crazy for everyone. Didn't really get a chance to see the real victor as my opponents generals both got crushed by the same falling rock and made them both impossibly salty(I found this way too funny I think) and they both quit at that point. Still wish I could've watched my carno curb stomp the dwarf players hell cannon before they quit, that thing is super mean(like seriously gw, is no line of sight really a good idea for artillery that can reach almost anything on the table as it is?)

Bowser and Seraphage like this.
  9. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Oh wow, sounds like a really awesome match up ! Must have had tons of fun !

P.S. : Don't forget that every unit takes +1 bravery for every 10 man it has *50 saurus -> 15 bravery * (and I think +1 for having a banner but can't recall that with certainty ) I used to forget it all the time back when I was beginning !

Bowser likes this.
  10. ravagekitteh
    Skink Chief

ravagekitteh Well-Known Member

200 Saurus?! Did they even fit on the table?

Bowser likes this.
  11. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

The only reason why I haven't tried that yet is that I don't want to paint all those Saurus. I heard that Starhost is actually pretty nice.

The thing why I don't play Saurus is that I feel they are really overpriced for what they can do, the only time when they become pretty decent is when you play groups of 40.

Just too much for me.

Bowser likes this.
  12. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Their pointcost is definitely outdated. Compared to the other battlelines they 'd either a recost or a small addition to what they do

Aginor and Bowser like this.
  13. Jason839
    Salamander

Jason839 Well-Known Member

I definitely feel being one of the first books hurt us as they seem to have priced our models on what was available at the time, not what things would look like in the future.

Bowser likes this.