1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you stepped away from 40k in 2020?

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by samheim, Jan 28, 2020.

1. samheim
    Ripperdactil

samheim Well-Known Member

I sold up my 40k stuff.

Kind of regret selling my painted armies. But it's cleared some head space.

I got 4 armies for AoS. Going to just stick with them.

Seraphon - in a good place, pretty much table top ready

Celestial vindicators - pretty ok. My colour scheme came out a bit camp. But oh well.

Nighthaunt - not great, they look pretty crappy, my wet blended transitions stink.

Khone, my beloved bad boys, still in boxes. Gonna finish up everything else first.

Why drop 40k? I feel like collecting for 2 gaming systems is just to much for me.

AoS just feels newer and more exciting.

Look this is all subject to change, depending on when 40k 9th edition gets here. If its Space Wolves vs Orks, I will probably have to go in hard. My 2 favourite factions.

I think what triggered me to sell up, was I don't like Ultramarines. Deathguard are sweet. But ironically my #1 chaos faction in AoS is maggot kin. But i don't like the death guard that much compared to emperors children.

Should have painted my space marines as salamanders.

2. Schwaaah
    Saurus

Schwaaah Active Member

So far I am strictly AoS, but I grabbed the Sisters of Battle army box back in December simply to collect and paint the models. I don't know if I will ever jump into the game, but I figured if I ever want to give it a spin, I can. Unless I am short on space or cash, I dont really see any reason to sell the models I paint. The way I figure it, I will collect, paint, and maybe even play with whatever I think looks cool, and somewhere down the road I should have a nice sampling from several different armies and games.

LizardWizard and samheim like this.
  3. Carnikang
    Carnasaur

Carnikang Well-Known Member

Currently, I have 6070 points of Tyranids logged, with a couple dozen warriors/Shrikes not pointed out yet. I also have 4570 points of Genestealer Cult assembled and doing battle. Thirdly, I have a small force of Iyanden Aeldari, coming out to around 1250.

Do I still play 40k? Not at the moment. The Marine meta, supplements for Marines, and scraps for Xenos have warded me away from the rest of this edition. Unless they redo the codexes to be comparable again (Like indexes were), then I don't see myself returning anytime soon.

That does not prevent me from enjoying the models I have though. I love my bugs, and their children. Just as I love and enjoy my Seraphon/Lizardmen.

4. Schwaaah
    Saurus

Schwaaah Active Member

Holy moly that is a lotta space bugs. I hope they get some love moving forward so you can bust them out again!

5. Acehilator
    Ripperdactil

Acehilator Well-Known Member

40k currently is at the worst state since the release of 8E. My Nids are and have been on hold for like a year now. Currently in the process of completing a 1250 army of GSC for monthly tournaments at my local store, bought the models before 8E went down the drain. Not going to get new stuff before a complete rework or 9E release. Kill Team is still really nice to scratch the sci-fi itch. Get one or two boxes, paint a handful of models, new Killteam ready.

I am going to finish my 2k points (plus some summoning stuff) for Seraphon, if I will grow the collection depends on the quality of the battletome. I would like to, but I am not going to give GW money for a half-arsed job (especially considering the fact that there will be no new models).

6. samheim
    Ripperdactil

samheim Well-Known Member

Yea I feel the same way, Xenos gets no love what so ever.

The 40k Ork models are some of the best models GW makes. But tired of unfair meta.

I like Space Marines as well. But there are too many cheese boi's out there, who want to play goodie two shoes good guys.

Also where are Emperors children? They update all the non-important Chaos factions and hold back on the good stuff like Khone Berzerkers and noize marines x:.

7. Cuetzpal Pilli
    Temple Guard

Cuetzpal Pilli Well-Known Member

Wow, your timing is impeccable; I was just telling my brother yesterday that I think I'm gonna do the same and sell all my 40k stuff. I bought into it cause the primaris marines looked really cool and the starter box was such a great deal. Realize now I fell for the "new shiny stuff" hype of 8th edition. Also, I've only built but a handful of models.

I went in hard on Space Wolves stuff too and although I do like their lore and whatnot, my heart's just not in it to build and play them. I don't know the rules very well either and I rather spend more time on learning AoS and getting my armies done (Nighthaunt, SCE, Blades of Khorne & of course, Seraphon).

I'll keep some kill team stuff tho as I like the concept and size of the game, but that'll probably be it. eBay and/or craigslist, here I come!

LizardWizard, Carnikang and samheim like this.
  8. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

yeah even with the slight boosts from psychic awakening, Tyranids just aren't in a good place. story of my life... id have to count up what I have available, especially since I haven't recalculated after the lastest chapter approved. id say around 4500 points if I had to guess

9. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Putzfrau Well-Known Member

I stopped playing 40k as much towards the end of last year. No real reason, other than i met some people that were more active with AOS and was able to finally get back into the fantasy world of things which was my original love.

40k is still more fun than it ever was in previous editions, but i'm just not a huge fan of how the game functions at the competitive level. Marine meta or not, it will always struggle from the fact that it's primarily a shooting game and its just super easy to blow someone apart from across the table turn 1.

I do enjoy how people build lists that essentially break the ITC, i think if people played more CA missions the competitive scene would be quite a bit different.

LizardWizard, Imrahil and samheim like this.
  10. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

2020 with psychic awakening made me step back, TBH. I've got my GKs at the end of 7th and they were kinda ok. But shortly after CA with several waves of top tier codecies they turned into trash-tier army. Consider post-CA 2017 and post-Big FAQ 2018 Wh40k 8.1 and 8.2 editions respectively. And GK stuck with outdated codex. But it wasn't Seraphon level outdated. It was literally impossible to win a game with mono-Grey Knights if your opponent brought any other army (including Chaos Daemons) and knew exactly what to do. Fortunately, my opponents didn't, unless I went to a tournament, so I was ok.

Poor state of Grey Knights is one of the reasons I looked to AoS. Ironically, I ordered a razroback box to my local store, but instead received a Seraphon SC box. "Well" I thought "this should be a sign from above". And I really enjoyed it. I was a lot into dinosaurs during childhood years and I liked the lore too.

Our small community is mostly 40k, unfortunately, and I only could play AoS either against 1-2 guys with undead and stormcasts or go to tournaments in another city.

I liked AoS more, but new rules for GK and new sisters really make me step back to 40k. And I already own all dino stuff that I wanted, so, unless new BT won't require lots of sarus/guard/kroxigors, I will probably stop collecting AoS for awhile. But won't give up playing of course.

LizardWizard, Schwaaah and Carnikang like this.
  11. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Guys, i moved the thread into a more appropriate sub-forum.

Not joining the chorus... ATM i love 40K even more than AoS .

For my tastes aos is going down a route of excessive power creep, with many things out of control. Armies with old battletome stand no chances.

I find the gap in 40K is smaller and the last chapter approved is a blast. The current rules for maelstrom are cool and we are playing balanced games ( yeah, my Necrons won twice vs the new Iron hands)

LizardWizard, Nart and Lizerd like this.
  12. Acehilator
    Ripperdactil

@Nart You should take a good look at GK's PA book. They went from horrible to almost OP in a blink.

LizardWizard and Nart like this.
  13. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

Yes, thank you. I know all the new rules already and they are awesome. And they are the reason I stepped back. They are not that OP, as it can seem at first, but they are definitely fun to play now. But new SoB are awesome too and I cannot chose between them.:(

LizardWizard and Killer Angel like this.
  14. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

yep, they're not OP but at least it's no more "40K: hard mode".

just for the record, my armies are (in no particular order):

SM
    Grey Knights
    AdMech
    Tau
    Necrons

LizardWizard and Nart like this.
  15. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

I have only Nids for 40k, but I have a full army of Seraphon, and partials for BCR and Fyreslayers for AOS.... some of you old timers have far too much time on your hands lol, ive only been playing since 2015

16. Acehilator
    Ripperdactil

Well 2k per year is still easymode imho. My plan is to have about 9k painted by the end of the year (even split between AoS and 40k), and I started like a month prior to the release of 8E, around May 2017. And I had two longer breaks of several months each in there.

LizardWizard likes this.
  17. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

ive been procrastinating painting the same single Guard model for a month lol

LizardWizard likes this.
  18. Acehilator
    Ripperdactil

Batch paint human-sized models all day every day :p

Simple stuff like this, at least 5 at once. 10 is the optimal number for my tastes.

LizardWizard likes this.
  19. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

im too ocd for that
    and wayyy too busy lol

LizardWizard likes this.
  20. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

It is interesting how many Seraphon players collect tyranids for 40k. I see a lot at the forum and at least one personally IRL.