1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello everyone!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by JARVIS, Sep 1, 2016.

1. JARVIS
    Jungle Swarm

JARVIS New Member

I've browsed around on the forums for a couple weeks now and I finally have found time and courage to write this. I'm sure I'm going to have plenty of questions in the future, but I'll limit them here for the purpose of an introduction.

I wanted to take some time to write a short intro about myself, but this quickly turned into a looong post. Hope you don't mind a read :) I'm glad to finally have found a forum that seems genuinely nice and active!

Let's get to this..

...I'll start by saying, I've never really been into tabletop gaming, I'm more of a PC or console guy, but I have a good friend who painted a starter kit while we were in highschool. (I honestly can't remember which kit it was, but there were knights, griffins, and elves if I can remember correctly). I sat in on the odd session and on occasion dabbled in the art myself. I was never a steady hand or patient person so I quickly lost interest in the process. After he had finished with the building and painting I was astonished with the amount of detail that these models had. Ever since then I've had a fond appreciation for the craft. In my early childhood I had built the odd model car/truck but nothing with the fine details and painting options that these models offered.​

Now about 9 years later I went into my local GamesWorkshop, with the intention of buying a single model that I could pass some time with between my summer and fall semesters at college. I went in totally open minded. The display in the center of the store had 40k armies set up on a 4x8 terrain board, these were neat but didn't seem natural enough to me. After browsing around for a little while I came upon the Age of Sigmar shelf, and the Carnosaur instantly caught my eye. I wasn't aware that Warhammer had dinosaurs!! I chatted with the staff and learned a little bit more about the different tabletop games, painting methods, and terrain options, but my eyes and attention kept being pulled to the AoS shelf. Something about the different shading and flesh/scale tones really got me. Both of the men working at the store had Carnosaurs on the go, one being a purple and green troglodon variation and the other a standard red and white Scar-Vet on Carn. I fell in love with the model, I knew right then that I was buying one regardless of the price! I may eventually play a game so I ended up leaving the store with a Seraphon Start Collecting Kit, 21 miniatures for about $20.00 more than a single Carno, I couldn't argue that.

I got home and quickly opened the box up. I remember there being a lot of pieces involved from when I helped my friend in highschool but I was totally unaware of all the different variations of weapons and head options. My mind started racing with ideas of combinations and variations I could build these models into.

I nervously cut the pieces for the Old-Blood on Carno out of the casting sheet and began to excitedly slap glue on the model and place the pieces together. Realizing now that it might have been best not to glue the saddle and Old-blood onto my Carno, as painting will definitely be more challenging, but hey, you live and you learn. These are only my first models!

(Will include some pictures as soon as figure out basing options)

I may one day dabble into the game of Warhammer but as for right now I'm content with just building and painting the models. The rules and play style are extremely foreign to me, so I'm nervous about getting into it. Not to mention the costs associated with some of the competitive army lists.

Like I said at the start of this post, I've been scrolling through these forums for days now and I'm excited by the skill and knowledge that is available here, also everyone seems supportive in the creative process.
    Thanks everyone for taking the time to read all of that,
    I look forward to sharing my miniatures with you all.

~Jarvis

2. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Welcome aboard! It's great when you just find that perfect army! If you never play that's alright, you get these amazing models, and that sense that you helped to create yours in a unique manner. The advice I give anyone who gets the starter kit is to take the time to make the oldblood on foot from the left over bits from the carno and the skink priest. Then take two of your knights, and make them unique so that they are scar vets on cold ones. And you have enough there to make a decently competitive army without spending much more.

The reason for this is twofold. You have a lot more options if and when you start playing, and you have several unique models that you put the time and effort to convert. It makes your army yours and gives your models a unique feel.

I definitely want to see pics when you get them painted! What colour theme are you going for? Or have you decided yet?

Warden, JARVIS and n810 like this.
  3. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Think we hooked another one,
    Welcome to Lustria my friend. :D

JARVIS and Bowser like this.
  4. JARVIS
    Jungle Swarm

JARVIS New Member

It was love at first site with the Seraphon, I have a gecko at home so he may have had an influence in the decision.

I really like the idea of converting a couple of the knights. I've never attempted any personal modifications to a model. Any quick tips for making it all fit?

I haven't quite decided on the colours yet. I'm definitely drawn to a more realistic scheme, using some browns, greens, and faint yellows. I'm thinking bearded dragon, or desert iguana theme:)

spawning of Bob, n810 and Bowser like this.
  5. JARVIS
    Jungle Swarm

JARVIS New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome, I'm most certainly hooked ahah

spawning of Bob and Bowser like this.
  6. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Greenstuff or another putty would help if you're using the third saurus head, but other than that feathers and spiky bits left over from the Troglodon glued into key places can look brilliant. You have all sorts left over in that box, so just see what would look good on these guys. Even make the cold one stand out to show that it's a step up from the others.

JARVIS likes this.
  7. JARVIS
    Jungle Swarm

JARVIS New Member

I didn't know I'd have a lot of left overs, that will be fun to play with one I've assembled most of the core models. I'm going to have to watch some videos and read up a bit more on it before I make an attempt to modify but I'll for sure get some greenstuff next time I'm at the craft store. Thanks for the quick replies!

Bowser likes this.
  8. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Well now I am really looking forward to the pics! Can't wait to see what you come up with!

JARVIS likes this.
  9. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

I do know one trick for customizing models.
    [​IMG]

You can reuse those raised circular bits on the sprue to change the shoulder joint, just slice of a piece of the right diameter in a diagonal cut,
    place it between the body and the arm to change the angle any way you want (just add glue).

you can also file down a joint to change the angel.

Ps. here's a unit where I uses these techniques a lot, especially the guy with the shield over his head .
    [​IMG]

10. JARVIS
    Jungle Swarm

JARVIS New Member

Really like the way the shield is over his head, will try out some of these techniques when I get around to modifying some.

11. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Welcome to the forums!

I too picked the army because I like the look of dinosaurs. Whatever your needs are, we got you covered.

Painting and converting. We got you covered. Tips and techniques, honest but polite critiques and models to inspire you. We got it.

Gameplay. We cover tactics, list building and battle reports for 8th Edition Warhammer, 9th Age Warhammer, Age of Sigmar Warhammer, and Kings of War.

We have fiction, aka fluff pieces. It's mostly 8th Edition/Age of Sigmar but we welcome all fluff. It doesn't have to be reptilian, it doesn't even need to be gaming.

And We got forums to talk about memes, Star Wars, and whatnot.