1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Sheldon P Turner, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Sheldon P Turner
    Jungle Swarm

Sheldon P Turner New Member

New Slann here. Just built my first Saurus Warriors tonight. I dived in and got the battle force and a start collecting. I learned the game over the past couple years on Stormcast but wanted to start a new army that wasn't from a starter box. Been researching for months on playstyles and lists for every faction but finally pulled the trigger on Seraphon because they look the most exciting visually and that's all I know!

I'm a paleontology professor so I don't know why a faction of dinosaurs didn't click earlier!

I look forward to learning from all of you.

Warden, Captaniser, Crowsfoot and 5 others like this.
  2. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

That's pretty cool. Which era or creature type do you specialize in? I know there is a lot more in paleontology than just dinosaurs, but even if you focus on prehistoric insects you probably no more about dinosaurs than the rest of us. I'd love to read your take on the authenticity of the painting forum and our assorted art threads. Check out the Temple of Aartzifartzi!

Anyway, we got great resources for gameplay, fluff, painting, and everything else related to lizard game play. Let us know if you have any specific questions about anything.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  3. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Welcome!

Crowsfoot likes this.
  4. Nun-pak
    Saurus

Nun-pak Active Member

A paleontologist?! Tell me about dinosaur color schemes!

Crowsfoot likes this.
  5. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

You mean plumage colors? :D

Nun-pak and Crowsfoot like this.
  6. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Welcome aboard! I'm a geologist so we can discuss on a professional level about space lizards. :p

Crowsfoot likes this.
  7. ravagekitteh
    Skink Chief

ravagekitteh Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard!

Crowsfoot likes this.
  8. Burwinkelito
    Saurus

Burwinkelito Active Member

Welcome to the community!

Crowsfoot likes this.
  9. Sheldon P Turner
    Jungle Swarm

I'm really a geologist as well, but at a small college I'm the only one able to teach paleo!

Killer Angel and Crowsfoot like this.
  10. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Welcome aboard

11. Sheldon P Turner
    Jungle Swarm

These resources are amazing, I've never seen anything like this for other factions. There is so much focus on art, lore, etc. I'm so excited.

As I mentioned up above, my specialty is actually geology, but I've spent a fair bit of time with marine invertebrates form the Silurian and Ordovician. However, dinosaurs have always been exciting since I was a child and I teach classes about dinosaurs whenever I get a chance!

I don't think you can go wrong with painting since they were some of the most diverse vertebrates to ever live, and remember that modern birds ARE dinosaurs so any color you can find a bird in you could probably find an extinct dinosaur...then you add in whole fantasy dinosaurs summoned by hyper-intelligent frogs and the possibilities are endless =P

12. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

As a paleontologist, I don't suppose you know any special source for scientifically accurate toys models. Scientifically accurate models.

I would like to add new units to the Lizardmen army and it's a lot easier to adapt an existing model than to sculpt something from scratch. I really would like a quadrupedal semi-aquatic carnivorous dinosaur to convert into monstrous cavalry.

I also have an Undead Legions/Death faction army that I try to make Lustrian themed. If you know any source of miniature dinosaur skeletons I would be eternally grateful.

In addition to a desire to field large skeletal dinosaurs, I also was hoping to eventually do a terrain project. The concept is an homage to the La Brea Tarpits but with dinosaurs. In 8th edition it would be a Charnel Pit. In Age of Sigmar it would either be Damned or Deadly terrain.