1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Help dealing with op hero and ridiculous campaign rules

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Croak, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Croak
    Skink

Croak New Member

Just made it to the last round of the tree campaign in the generals handbook (return to the verdigris plains I think) where the win condition is slay your enemy's general who can only be wounded in combat. My opponent is running a pretty brutal death list:
    3 X 20 skeleton
    25 grave guard
    Necromancer
    10 blood Knights
    And I'm pretty sure he's going for a vampire on zombie dragon who can regain wounds, 3+ save loads of rend attacks and will come back to life if I manage to kill it
    Was wondering if anyone had some tips to slay the beast lol

Bowser likes this.
  2. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

The obvious answer is: assassinate the general on turn one (assuming it's not surrounded by skeletons of guards. Shadowstrike starhost is Always useful in these cases

Anyway: use a Slann as general. Summon a balewind Vortex. Bam, the Slann can be targeted ONLY by shooting. I don't see many in its list. And anyway, if the rules of the campaign are that the general can be only killed in melee, the Slann cannot be killed, full stop. :angelic:

from atop the vortex, mistic bolt the vampire, than summon a Bastiladon at shooting range and shield it.
    In the shooting phase, use the Basti and the 2 units of chama skinks.
    Then swoop in with the rippers.

Seraphage, Bowser and Shawry like this.
  3. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Yep, it's cheap and cheesy but a slann on a balewind and 6 rippers should about make you unstoppable.

4. Croak
    Skink

Croak New Member

Ha sweet. Cheers guys was thinking shadow strike with big unit of rippers 6/9 and goin full on from the get go

Bowser likes this.
  5. Fruzzle
    Skink

Fruzzle Member

yeah fight cheese with cheese, kroak on a baleful.

with that many skeletons tough, he can bubble wrap the dragon pretty easily, so your rippers are not getting through.... couple of bastiladon in the thunderquake with the banner for reroll should put the hurt on. Use kroak rerolls to get the double turn and kill him before he can heal

Bowser likes this.
  6. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

why would you put in the rule you can only slay the general in melee combat? That's just begging to be abused by a slann on a balewind vortex or some superpowered healing melee monstrousity like a vampire on a dragon.....

On a sidenote, a different approach to assasinating him could be to take a couple of bastilidons/stegadons back up by a metric ton of skinks and just mow down his entire army as it crashes into your bastilidon/stegadons. I'm not sure how quick death is, but getting of 2 or 3 rounds of ranged attacks with that before a melee phase actually gets resolved seems like an effective tactic :p

Bowser likes this.
  7. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Well, anyone could take a wizard as a general and bring a balewind Vortex but if you do it first they might name the houserule after you!

Canas, Seraphage and Fruzzle like this.
  8. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Also, wouldn't this completly invalidate certain armies? O you play an army of puny aelve archers? Well screw you they now need to come punch my bloodthirster in the face if you actually want to win.

Who came up with this campaign rule?

Bowser likes this.
  9. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

It's a battlelan in the general's handbook.

10. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Really? Well at least that explains why it is so inbalanced for certin groups :p

Bowser likes this.
  11. Croak
    Skink

Croak New Member

Yea did mention to him we should probs have a gentlemans agreement not to take the Mickey to much otherwise the rest of the army is more of a sidenote and ruins the point of the battle.

Bowser likes this.
  12. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Seocnd option is a big bad bloodclaw starhost, and castle them, you get 4 or 5 command abilities depending on your general, some big stompy monsters and a lot of hard hitting super buffes saurus.

13. Croak
    Skink

Croak New Member

Was contemplating eternal starhost. Spend out on a few units with a 2+ save them stegadon and skinks to mow stuff down before it gets too close lol

Bowser likes this.
  14. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Well, Eternal Starhost got some weak points, but against the army you have listed, it should be truly effective.

Bowser likes this.
  15. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

The only issues would be the necromancer & potentially the vampire doing mortal wounds, but against the rest it'd be briljant. Especially when backed up with some ranged fire support.

Bowser likes this.
  16. Croak
    Skink

Croak New Member

Yea mortal wounds tend to screw me over. He always takes the death ability that nulls wounds on a 5+ As well as making them 50% of the time which drives me mental haha

Bowser likes this.
  17. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Get an eternal starhost, flanked by bastilidons, and supported by a crapton of skinks. Your frontline of guard and bastilidon should be nigh on immortal while the skinks provide the raw numbers of attacks to blast through his woundsaving mechanics.

Bowser likes this.