1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP! lizardmen speed pianting!

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by lizardlover, Sep 20, 2008.

1. lizardlover
    Skink

lizardlover New Member

I really, Really need some help trying to figure out how to paint lizardmen quickly! I have a terradon, skink, saurus,slann,salamander, and jungle swarm unit all un painted!!! i need to get the whole lot done in about 1month to 2 months as want to schedule a big game with my mates. If any1 can help it would be really appreciated!!! :smug:

2. lizardlover
    Skink

lizardlover New Member

I also have temple guard unit , and a half painted saurus scar vet. :smug:

3. Sammy the Squib
    Salamander

Sammy the Squib Member

Dipping is a pretty fast way of getting a reasonable tabletop quality mini in a short amount of time :)

4. lizardlover
    Skink

lizardlover New Member

dipping??? please explain :smug:

5. Craziecory
    Skink

Craziecory New Member

Dipping is the art of taking a miniature and dunking it into a pot of varnish or other type house paint. Then Spinning the fig with a drill (someplace secure) so the excess paint flies off leaving you with a quickly painted fig and after a couple of touch ups your good to go.

I suggest: Step 1. Dry brush two or three colors over the whole model. Step 2. Wash with one of the citadel washes (these are gods gifts to us) 3. Pick out details and win the game.

Check out my WIP post to see what you can do with this tech (You might want to go a little less complicated for yours since I am a crack monkey :D)

6. lizardlover
    Skink

lizardlover New Member

Ty Craziecory i will definitely check your post, that dipping method has eluded me for ages!!! :smug: ...
    oh p.s. im a crack monkey TOO!!

7. maaksel
    Skink

maaksel New Member

Agreed! With all the scales (I had to paint a ton of older DE cold ones).

Pick what color you want to finalize with, lets say BLUE , so you would start with a few shades lighter, like LIGHTER BLUE. Paint the ENTIRE model that color, scales/skin (not weapons!) then wash it all over with the blue wash. This will darken it up considerably, and leave all the raised surfaces the lighter color. This alone will add 3-4 shades of blue, and in reality you only used 1, with the wash.

Then go back through with the LIGHTER BLUE and high light. That will get a model table quality in no time at all. Do the same for weapons if you want, just using boltgun/mithril/chain metalics and a brown wash.

You could get an entire army done in this fashion very quickly to be playable. Then you can go through and do more high/low lights, add more detail etc and get them looking very good.

I've done it with Ogres/Chaos. Anything with a lot of 1 thing works well. Armor for the chaos and skin for the ogres.

Good luck!

8. To-neh of LaTigra
    Saurus

To-neh of LaTigra New Member

Dipping is good, but I have always been a fan of drybrushing.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=298

This is my army. If you scroll down to the second page, I talk about "selective drybrushing". Using this method I got over 30 various models done in less than 2 weeks.

9. maaksel
    Skink

maaksel New Member

I was scanning for some lizardmen on craigslist - but came across this.

http://santacruzwarhammer.blogspot.com/ ... hwing.html

Great demo on 'dipping' - athough I don't really hold this applicable to lizards as much as the full suited space marine as depicted. Maybe there are some crazy wood stains out there with more vibrant colors - or possibly you could do desert lizards.

10. stu
    Skink

stu New Member

i tend to paint blocks of saurus and slinks. And then treat myself to a character or slaan once i've painted 10 saurus or 20 skinks. That way it doesn't seem so daunting. When painting saurus i paint them green. After spraying them black. I paint them all the skin and scales dark angels green. And pick out the teeth and claws with bubonic brown. I then use snot green leaving for the skin leaving the dark angels green in only the deepest recesses. The scales are then given 2 coats of a watered down rotting flesh. (it's too chalky otherwise) once dry give the scales 2 or 3 washes of green ink. Let each coat dry before applying the next. The skin is them highlighted with goblin green. And teeth and claws highlighted with bleached bone. The weapon and jewellery etc painted shining gold with a wash of chesnut ink. And a highlight of burnished gold. And the stone part of the weapon painted by feathering a mix of codex grey and chaos black, and highlighting with pure codex grey then fortress grey. The eyes looks good red or yellow. This sounds like a long process, but once you get going it only takes a nights sitting to paint a unit that looks a lot better than a dipped one.

11. stu
    Skink

stu New Member

i basecoat shields in mechrite red. Then red gore, and finally a blood red highlight. 3 stage highlighting is a quick and easy way to have a great looking army.