1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Help vs Ironjawz

Discussion in 'Seraphon Tactics' started by Kilvakar, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

Kilvakar Well-Known Member

I've played two games so far against my brother's Ironjawz, as I recently got him into AoS. However, I'm getting absolutely annihilated by his Gordrakk boss. Seriously, that one model can literally solo my entire army. Any unit it attacks is dead in one round, and even though I can do really well against his normal units, nothing I try will kill Gordrakk with his 20+ attacks all hitting on 2+, a 3+ save, and all his special extra damage rules...

Any advice would be appreciated, lol!

2. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

chaff up and counter punch he has a big base use it against him and then hit him with your best hammer

Lizerd, LizardWizard and Kilvakar like this.
  3. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

I know I probably didn't make the right choice going with a dinosaur/saurus army. I guess I have to give in and go skink horde with shooting, lol!

4. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

no not necessarily i run a saurus list and they can do well you just have to position well

Lizerd, LizardWizard and Kilvakar like this.
  5. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

That's cool. What sort of list would you recommend?

6. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

in general? 3x30 warriors, 3 salamanders, sunblood, oldblood on foot, slann, 2x star-priests , sunclaw temple host and geminids
    against mawcrusher orks? cut 2 of the 30 blocks down to 20s and use the 2 10 mans to screen or take 3x 10 skinks

Lizerd and LizardWizard like this.
  7. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

Sounds like it's worth a try! Thanks for the advice :)

8. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

You are also going to have to choose which of you stuff to let die in order to provide the turn you need to set up and kill it. Having a sacrificial unit can help a lot.

knave, Lizerd and Canas like this.
  9. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

What would actually be good at killing it, do you think? He's very good at using that thing's massive flying move speed, plus the army-wide bonus to charge to dive in and nuke my strongest units before they can do anything, crippling my ability to hit it back. If I bring any dinos or other strong units, he won't get it into combat until he can dive in on top of them and nothing short of a Dread Saurian can survive one round of combat with him, lol!\

Also, he has had the Ork teleport spell in each game, so I have to have screens in front and behind...

10. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

If you run something like what @Erta Wanderer suggested you should be to deploy in such a way that he mawkrusha will engage and kill one of the units of 30x Saurus and then you can kill the Mawkrusha with one of the other two units.

Lizerd, Erta Wanderer and Kilvakar like this.
  11. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

Got it. Sacrifices must be made for the Great Plan!

12. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

Going skinks is an easier way. But even if you want to stay saurus-heavy, taking 20-30 separate skink units won't be a bad idea. Mawkrusha's base is huge, so you would be able to defend most of you army from his devastating charge. Teleport is not too concerning either, since he cannot place anything between two unit. Just secure your flanks and front. I'd strongly advise slann/kroak in this case. With Sage's Staff they get +2 to unbind boardwide.

Both fangs of sotek and dracothion's tail is very strong at dealing with units, that rush in your face and kill anything they touch, because of high mobility. You can dictate your opponent, what he can charge and then reposition units with LoSaT/Appear on Command and strike, where it is weakest, or even retreat with Parting Shot. Salamanders are great counter-offensive unit. They are short ranged but devastating. Two units can fry almost anything in this game in a single volley.

Regardless of an army, which you take, the main principle is to sacrifice a weak unit - 10 skinks, 10 saurus, 5 guard, 3 rippers - anything cheap to waste their 500+ model devastating charge and then counter-attack.

knave, Lizerd and LizardWizard like this.
  13. Grotpunter
    Troglodon

Grotpunter Well-Known Member

Gordrakk is generally considered really weak and not worth his points at all. A normal Megaboss on Maw Krusha is much scarier/tougher with the right traits/artefacts. Keep in mind his MW on the axes are only against heroes - One is vs a non-wizard hero only, the other is vs a wizard hero only.

Im guessing he is using Mighty Destroyers to move 24" and then charge. Keep in mind if you manage to place a single model within 12" of Gordrakk, he cant move but has to charge with Mighty Destroyers. That trick can really slow down his movement shenanigans. Not sure if you play Starborne or Coalesced, but teleporting 10 Skinks just at the edge of 12" is really painful for him.

It sounds like you generally need to screen your army, and Ironjawz is especially punishing if you dont, since they can easily turn 1 charge you. Again without really knowing what you are running, 3 Salamanders with no buffs are on average gonna put him at half health, which severely hurts his movement. He also cant heal.

14. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

Thank you all for your advice. I'm still quite new to AoS myself, having only won one game out of around five total right now, lol!

I'm working on getting more skinks for my actual army, which is quite saurus/dino heavy right now. But thanks to playing in Tabletop Simulator with my friends and family who don't live nearby, I can practice with any list.

15. Grotpunter
    Troglodon

Grotpunter Well-Known Member

Mate I lost my first 10 matches or so (played Beasts of Chaos) before I started getting just 1 win. Was super demoralizing. Some armies are just much more straight forward to play at a beginner level.

It was easier once I realized that armies arent balanced at all skill levels, and some armies got horrible internal balance, so even an “OP” army can be terrible if you bring the bad units.

16. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

Yeah, I feel like Seraphon is "hard to learn, hard to master" type of faction. But I like how it demands high skill. If you are know what you are doing and your opponent - not quite - you will totally wreck them, trust me. Seraphon can make truly horrible things, when you are used to play them.

17. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

Mortal wound spam!
    Skink starpriest +40 skinks or
    Skink starpriest + saurus scar veteran + 10 saurus knights

LizardWizard likes this.