1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Help!

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by Kcibrihp-Esurc, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Kcibrihp-Esurc
    Razordon

Kcibrihp-Esurc Well-Known Member

Well I've been on here for a while and now that 9th Ed. is looming ever closer and stupider my Dad and I have been looking at playing 6th Ed but well, I've used the army book but never played with the main rulebook! Help please!
    P.S My Dad plays Brettonnians which is worrying me because back then they WERE really powerful (More powerful than they are now at least)

2. lordkingcrow
    Temple Guard

lordkingcrow Active Member

If you can't get a rule book on ebay or something, I would suggest downloading it from piratebay. 6th was a fun edition. Wish I had my old rule book, but I got rid of it a long time ago. That being said, don't get too down! Remember, everything people have been talking about for 9th is rumor. Every new edition, crazy rumors pop up and people panic. It's never as bad as people make it sound. Chin up! ;)

3. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

I believe I have an extra 6th ed book floating around somewhere but a) I'm not sure where it is and 2) the shipping cost s to New Zealand would Mahrlect expensive.

I'm with the Elf kicker, don't be too down about 9th till the facts are in.

On the whole, I believe 7th edition was where Brettonians were king though they will perform better in 6th ed than 8th (their rulebook was balanced for 6th ed)

The biggest difference in 6th edition is.

1) there is no step up
    2) No supporting attacks without spears
    3) chargers always attack first regardless of initiative.
    4) there is no Steadfast

therefore if a block of knights charge a block of Sauri, they will probably infilct significant casualties, take very few hits back and likely break the unit with a big pile of CR.

Course you can pull a similar trick with Cold One Riders. In fact they are probably the only viable way to stock up on Special troops (Temple Guard are Core, Swarms are Core, Steggies are Rare, Kroxigors were a joke compared to 8th, and Chameleon Skinks are 0-1 units per army). I guess 6th ed Terradons were decent.

Saurus cost more than in 8th and were weaker. Skink Skirmishers cost less in 6th than they do now and could take Scout for a mere point per model. That means competitive Core is either all Skinks or mostly Skinks and some TG.

Skink Priests can only take Heavens of course, but in 6th edition, the Lore of Heavens was considered the very best lore by most players.

I think 6th ed was fairly low on options for LM but LM did very well in small points games. The Skinks play avoidance and plink things while the Skink Priests let loose with the Lore of Heavens.