1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Herrod's Lizardmen

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Herrod, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Herrod
    Skink

Herrod New Member

Just starting with Lizardmen and I must say this is the 1st time in over a year that I have really wanted to paint, with a hectic house during the day and mainly working the weekend I only have late evening to paint so I do apologise if progress of images are slow.

Although I may not post pictures I'll certainly try to keep this updated on what im working on and what I have done.

So what I have to get started is 1 Saurus warrior, the is the champ of the unit and my first painted model.

SaurusTest.jpg

Obviously the shield is not attached as I havent fully finished it yet, I havent painted anymore warriors yet as I wanted to give the skinks a go.

I have completed 10 skink skirmishers and will post them up tomorrow.

Currently I'm working on my Salamander will hopefully get a WIP shot of that with my skinks.

Cheers

Herrod

2. bonz
    Cold One

bonz Active Member

very nice!! :smug: i like it, nice clean colour scheme and well painted :) how long did he take to do?

one thing i would say, not really a criticism but more a bit of advice is about the placeing of the clump foliage on the base. it looks awesome on him, and i use clump foliage on my bases too but i fell into the trap of placing it to the front of the bases between the legs of the saurus warriors... of course i didnt even think that thats where the rank in fronts tails would have to be... :oops:

obviously this guy will be fine being in the front rank but dont make the same mistake i did on the other ranks :) cant wait to see the skinks and in particular your salamander :smug:

3. Herrod
    Skink

Herrod New Member

Thanks Bonz, I would say he took about 3 hours to complete, hopefully now I have the colour palette down the rest will be quicker.

Also thanks for the heads up about the clump foliage, after reading what you put a light came on and I went "oh yeah, it will block the front models tail".

I'm just in the process of taking some finished pictures of the skink skirmishers and salamander which I did a bit of work on last night.

Cheers

Herrod

4. Herrod
    Skink

Herrod New Member

As promised here is the first 10 Skink Skirmishers, the red on the fins dictates which unit of 10 these guys belong to (so I dont get confused in a game), each unit of Skinks will have their own colour.

SkinkSkirmishers1.jpg

Also here is a WIP of the Salamander, handlers will be painted after this is done, hoping to get everything but the base done tonight.

SalamanderWIP.jpg

Cheers

Herrod

5. bonz
    Cold One

bonz Active Member

looking good! nice skinks they look very cohesive, i like the paint scheme and the basing :smug: whats up for painting after you finish the sallie? :)

6. Herrod
    Skink

Herrod New Member

Thanks again Bonz, I'm not sure what to do next, I think I best get cracking on with the Saurus unit, although I got 20 TG this morning so may do the Slann then the TG to make another full unit.

There is also the skink priest, steg and 2 x 10 skirmishers and a few other things to choose from.

Anything you would like to see? may help make up my mind lol

Cheers

Herrod

7. angrypearl
    Skink

angrypearl New Member

Excellent work sofar. Nice and unique paint scheme. Keep up the good work

8. NexS1
    Carnasaur

NexS1 Well-Known Member

Nice work!
    Your saurus is a bit similar to the colours I use for my Saurus (with 4+ scales at least). As the scales get thicker, they grow whiter - that's my theory anyway!

I like the idea of changing the Skink crests per spawning(unit). Would it be worth crossing that techniquw over onto your saurus as well (using the area around the horns) to keep things uniform across your army.

9. bonz
    Cold One

bonz Active Member

maybe leave the steg and priest as "rewards" for when you finish a block of infantry :D im currently grinding through my core units at a ridiculously slow pace... i would like to see your skink priest because im planning to do a few more of them in the near future :smug:

10. Herrod
    Skink

Herrod New Member

Thanks Nex, I only have 1 unit of Saurus at the moment but when I get another unit or 2 I will look into doing that, I think next after the handlers (Salamander is done) I will jump onto my unit of Saurus and finish them off, then will do the Skink Priest.

So here is the Salamander.....

Salamander.jpg

Handlers will follow.

Cheers

Herrod

11. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Not bad at all. :meh:
    Nicely based,
    and I realy like the spots on the sail.

12. bonz
    Cold One

bonz Active Member

^ this.

i really like your base, did you use cork for the slab of rock? i must get a salamander at some stage..

13. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

This entire plog is amazing so far. The spotted sail on the salamander looks great, as does the red shading on the yellow. The base is good too, but is the stone just one flat colour?

14. Herrod
    Skink

Herrod New Member

Thanks for the comments. Bonz it is a piece of cork for the stone base, Old mossey the stone cork base has a few bits of vallejo pigment of dark slate and dark umber stippled on but i do agree with you it still looks a little flat. This is because the cork im using is smooth on one side and rough on the other and i made a mistake when gluing it down and did shiny side up to not that much texture to work with.

I think as i continue painting ill revisit the base and add some more patches of pigment to break it up a bit more.

The handlers were completed last night so will upload some pictures tonight.

Cheers

Herrod

15. bonz
    Cold One

bonz Active Member

look forward to seeing them, gota get me a salamander asap

16. Herrod
    Skink

Herrod New Member

As promised here are the finished handlers for the Salamander

Handlers.jpg

Next will be the unit of saurus warriors, will try and post up some WIP as I dont know how long these guys will take.

Cheers

Herrod

Attached Files:

17. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

These look very nice, I like the color combination!

18. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

T`hinker`er Active Member

Looking great so far!

19. Herrod
    Skink

Herrod New Member

Just to say im still here and haven't given up, i had given up on the sauris unit, waiting for the new book before i touch them again, i have the 2nd unit of skinks half finished so will complete them 1st. Home life is a little mad at the moment for the bad rather than good so i cant even do set painting times like i used to. Anyway will try and get this unit of 10 done before the new book hits us.

Cheers
    Herrod

20. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

FavoredoftheOldOnes Member

Really nice looking stuff so far. Crisp and clean. I especially like the salamander and the bases you've done for all.