1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi everyone!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Enigma, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Enigma
    Saurus

Enigma New Member

Hi everyone!

I've played WH40K for about 6 years but have gotten real bored of the rules. So besides Blood bowl and Battlefleet gothic I feel I should give WHFB a shot as well. And of course I choose lizardmen as my first army (who doesn't like dinosaurs?)... ok, I was quite tempted by skaven as well with all their weird contraptions and assassins, but I think I'll be happier with the lizards^^

I've been trying to start an army since the last lizardmen armybook was released, but i never got around to really start buying anything. At the moment I've got a scarveteran/oldblood on foot and a box of saurus warriors to put together and paint. I've also got the latest armybook, and I was wondering: I've read through the old book and knew bit of how the lizardmen army worked, but now it looks as if a lot of stuff has changed: No more spawnings, no more slann generations, weaker kroxigors and lots of new characters and models, just to name a few things. Could someone give me a rundown of what's changed and how it affects the lizardmen army of today?

Also, sorry for my lousy english, it's been far too long since I wrote in english :p

Cheers!
    //Enigma

2. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Greetings, welcome to the forum! :)

The changes may seem a little bit daunting, but they are actually quite subtle. There are no more spawnings, but saurus now automatically get the armour spawning for free. Instead of generaions, Slann now have a list of quite good abilities to choose from. Magically, they are probably better than 6th ed, the downside is they can now suffer from miscasts. Yes kroxigor got screwed over a bit, but they are still useful in their place.

What you find in the new book is that spear saurus are awesome, and saurus are actually worth taking. The carnosaur got a huge boost, and stegadons are now the focal point of the army with a great new plastic model that assembles like a dream and several options, plus the opportunity to field a sickening amount of them in a list.

3. Enigma
    Saurus

Enigma New Member

heh, thanks!

What is it that makes the slannn better casters than before? just being curious.
    I've noticed the saurus changes and I must say that I really want to get a couple of blocks of them with spears:)
    And the stegadons... ahh... The problem is that there's so much I need to get before I can even think of getting all the fun stuff (core units) ^^

Cheers!
    //Enigma

4. Barotok
    Terradon

Barotok New Member

Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to seeing you join the discussion.

5. strewart
    OldBlood

Well, technically it is the potential to be better if you pay the points, base price is cheaper now. You can have all the spells of a lore, a free power dice for every spell (very good), and weaken enemy magic by making one of their wizards ignore 6's. I'm not that familiar with the 6th ed version so I can't make too good a comparison, just going off other people's observations and what I think of the new Slann.

6. Enigma
    Saurus

Enigma New Member

well that's true, but if i remember correctly you could have your slann ignore miscasts and had a new spell... drain magic? I have no idea if i was any good though :p

Still, I've noticed that the slanns are cheaper now, which I'm thankfull of =)

Cheers!
    //Enigma

7. strewart
    OldBlood

Yeah vulnerability to miscasts is the biggest downside now, and probably part of the reason the Slann is cheaper. Plus the miscast table in 7th ed is a bit more deadly than it was in 6th. But he can take Cupped Hands to not only ignore the first miscast (and hopefully you only have 1 in a game) but throw it on to an opponent mage, which is great.

8. Enigma
    Saurus

Enigma New Member

I've thought of using that one, seem like a fairly good item. But what happens if I roll a misscast and transfers it to an orc & goblin player? Does he roll on the misscasts in his armybook or does he get to roll on the table in the rulebook?

9. strewart
    OldBlood

According to the FAQ (or what is interpreted from the German version so far) armies that have their own miscast tables use it. So yes, the item is more deadly against O&G and Ogres. I think those are the only two armies with unique miscast tables.

10. Enigma
    Saurus

Enigma New Member

So there is an official FAQ now? Where can I find it? The german GW-page?

---<Edit>---
    Nevermind, I found it after looking for myself.
    Now to learn german -.-"

11. strewart
    OldBlood

There is a thread I think in general discussions with a summary of what the FAQ said in english, otherwise just wait. Sometimes hopefully within the next week an english version will come out on the UK, US, Aus etc websites.