1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS How strict are tournaments with points?

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Nielspeterdejong, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Nielspeterdejong
    Terradon

Nielspeterdejong Well-Known Member

So yesterday I did my first real match with Seraphon, and I had a blast! I took the following army:

Slann Starmaster= 260
    Skink Priest= 100
    Skink Chief with priestly trappings= 60
    30 skinks= 240
    Stegadon= 260
    15 Guards= 300
    Eternity Warden= 140

And Eternal Starhost=80

For a total of 1440 points, while he had an undead army of 1460 points. I kept the buff of my Skink priest up for everyone around me, and kept the Drake constillation for the 1 rerolls, along with buffing my skinks with the Skink chief +1 hit. He threw everything he had at me, but despite his many attacks he could not kill me thanks to the Guards their 3+ defensive rolls, and the Skink priest's defensive rerolls, and their 16 attacks per 5 man unit which dealt D3 damage destroyed his front line!

To put it short, I had a blast with this formation! And I was looking for a way to expend it. Now, today I also received my metal Lord Kroak, and I was thinking about combining them in my army when we would play a huge 2500 points one. I know that some people say you should not combine those two, but the buffs that the Slann gives (including "Light of the Heavens" which normally is pretty crappy, but now allows you to reroll saves for your Slann in the Battleshock phase!) along with the raw damage from Lord Kroak sounds very sweet!

So I had the following 2500 point army in mind, which I shall title "Master and apprentice"

Engine of the gods= 240
    Bastiladon (with lazor)= 300
    Stegadon= 260
    15 Guards= 300
    Eternity Warden= 140
    Skink priest= 100
    Kroxigor unit of 3= 180
    Slann Starmaster=260
    Lord Kroak= 540

Thunderquake starhost= 120
    Eternal starhost= 80

For a total of 2520 points.

Now this army sounds like a lot of fun to me, but sadly it is 20 points over the limit. Do you think people at the tournament would have trouble with that? If so, would it be best to replace my engine of the gods for a Troglodon? How viable is the Troglodon compared to Engine of the gods?

Bowser likes this.
  2. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

The troglodon works well with a regular slann, because of the arcane vassal power. You can get those front line mystic shield or arcane bolts off. The engine is still better though in my opinion. But if it is a tournament they don't usually let you take extra points. Leaving off points however may get you a triumph if they are using that rule.(page 110 Generals Handbook )

You could replace the Kroxigor with
    2x razordons or salamanders
    Skink handlers
    160 points.
    Would take off the 20 you need to stay legal.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  3. Nielspeterdejong
    Terradon

That actually sounds like a great idea! I like the idea of the Razordon, since they have a lot of attacks (if you roll badly there, you could use Lord Kroak's rerolls command), and you can reroll 1's on hit, and reroll missed wound rolls if you take savage (which means you won't have to cover everyone with your Skink priest).

Thanks for the tip :)

Bowser likes this.
  4. Tozon
    Saurus

Tozon Active Member

I always find Razordons are better on paper than the field.

Given the choice id go for salamanders. They have a couple of important rollstuff rather than lots of unimportant ones so get a better benefit from Kroaks rerolls too so I'd consider that.

Bowser likes this.
  5. Nielspeterdejong
    Terradon

That's actually a good point. They also have better rend. But aren't they more self reliant? As in, they can intercept charging enemies, and they have more armor?

Bowser likes this.