1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS How to kill us all ? :D

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Aktanolt, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Aktanolt
    Cold One

Aktanolt Well-Known Member

Hey there,
    My girlfriend just started the hobby and we play a lot. However she struggles to beat me. Although she know rules and her army pretty well now, she only managed to beat me 1 or 2 times in 10+ games. Also she plays sylvaneth without Alarielle. I'm trying to play easy but as a huge competitive player, i got some reflexes and rarely fail on table .
    Against her i played a variety of lists ( Thunderquake, Shadowstrike, Dracothion tail, Dread saurian .... )
    However she used to pressure me well in the first turns but always lost on the long run because of skinks mainly or heavy shooting . ( Yea i fly stuff that shoot :D)
    So the questions i cant really answer myself are what are our weaknesses, how to BEAT us ?

2. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

I would say these are some of the things she needs to look at and assess which is the most important to achieve, I've put them in what I would assess and try to carry out.

Play the objectives - Can I achieve this without taking out all your army.

Prevent deepstrike - I know you have nasty stuff flying around can I keep it away from my key units and force you to attack something else, bait you.

Prevent summoning - Do I need to stop summoning early on with my own Alpha strike/snipe.

Tie up your units - Can I use cheap chaff to keep your key units tied up.

Snipe the Heros - Do you have key units badly positioned and not guarded.

3. Deed525
    Stegadon

Deed525 Well-Known Member

Ok so you said she uses the woodland crew - but what exactly does she use? Those guys have to be very strategically played at the best of times, I think if she got a load of Hunters with bows they could rain some hurt down on your units (with better range than lizards and plenty of damage) but if she really wants to cause some pain(plus some mental regeneration) she should get the everqueen-she’s simply a one model army that can summon and heal everything.
    As she’s starting off strong but losing in the long run I imagine it’s due to being ground down, if she could heal back those lost wounds then surely her initial push would keep its momentum ? :)

4. Aktanolt
    Cold One

@Crowsfoot Yea she thinks of it but we'll make it better . That's what i'm used to do too but it's more natural to me ( long time player ) And i'll help her to process it this way
    @Deed525 here is the list she loves and play ( she plans to get Alarielle but for now, try to learn without her :p)
    Tree lord Ancient, Durthu ghyrstrike gift of gyran, Tree lord , 2 branchwraith ( acorn / Ranu's ) 30 / 10 /10 dryads, 3 kurnous hunter with bow and Harvestboon. She tried double Kurnoth bow, but replace them with treelord because of the randomness of their shot. Do you think she should get back those ? I had to play super defensive and she managed to kill some Engine , lower slann.

LizardWizard and Crowsfoot like this.
  5. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Treelords and Khurnot, placed in sylvaneth forests upon objectives are basically unbeatable without mortal wounds.

My suggestion is to ttry the inverse: play sylvaneth while your girl plays Seraphon and show her how to hit your weak points.

6. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Based on playing with my girlfriend and her younger brother there's a couple of things I've noticed

1) Objectives go a long way towards making fights more fun, especially against newer players as you can handicap yourself here relativly easily without making it too obvious. Plus, with a good objective at least it can stay exciting much longer as getting decimated doesn't necesarly mean losing. Also, don't limit yourself to just the objectives on the cards, assymetrical scenario's like in the various fluffbooks or what they occasionally put in white dwarf are very good as well as those can give her an advantage due to the nature of the scenario which still feels fair.

2) Due to how powerfull certain things are it can be very difficult to create a "fun" fight. Especially in smaller games with newer players. The issue is that in smaller games there's usually only a handfull of genuine threats. And these threats are disproportionatly more powerfull than the rest of the army. So if you play well and efficiently kill them off you create a massive power difference between the remaining forces. This means that playing well often means you end up steamrolling your opponent. On the other hand, purposely handicapping yourself will most likely mean that the one threat now ends up murdering half your army. If the player is then also relativly new (or just plain bad...) it becomes even worse as it just becomes too easy to take out the 1 or 2 major threats.

From what I've seen the best thing to do is getting her a sufficiently large army that she can vary tactics, and can have multiple threats in it, while trying out as many scenario's as you can until you find a couple you like.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  7. Aktanolt
    Cold One

that's a good idea we might try @Killer Angel . Also yea Kurnoth rooted are insane to kill in melee, so have to kill them in range.

8. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Let us know how it goes!

Crowsfoot likes this.
  9. Aktanolt
    Cold One

Yep, we migth try this next weekend :)

Aginor and Crowsfoot like this.