1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. How to lose a Tournament on turn 1!

Discussion in 'Battle Reports' started by SanDiegoSurrealist, Aug 1, 2011.

1. SanDiegoSurrealist
    Ripperdactil

SanDiegoSurrealist New Member

Blood and Glory Scenario

2400 points Lizardmen vs. Vampire Counts
    In my army I have:
    3 points for Standards (2 unit of Saurus, 1 unit of Temple Guard)
    1 point for BSB (Slann)
    2 points for General (Slann)
    Army Fortitude = 6
    Break Point = 3

Turn 1 –
    Slann casts:
    1st spell cast - Throne of Vines - dispelled.
    2nd spell cast - Dwellers Below is cast with Irresistible Force. Roll a 3 for the Miscast, result Dimensional Cascade!

At the time I am thinking “This is awesome! Now I use my Cupped Hands of the Old Ones to cast it away to his general and sit back and watch his army start to crumble!”

I roll a 1 for Cupped Hands, the results of the miscast takes out 14 Temple Guard, the Slann takes a wound and then is unceremoniously sucked into the Warp.

General /BSB off the table = 3 break points.

Game Over turn 1.

Unsure but think this is only possible with Lizardmen

2. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

Ouch! That blows. I have never had that happen to me. I did fail a throne of vines roll and pass a cupped hands roll in a game last week.

3. jormi_boced
    Ripperdactil

jormi_boced New Member

First turn at Capital City Carnage against Brian Moyer's Lizards I thought I was going to dimensional cascade his slann after getting double sixes on only a few dice, but I rolled the one and sucked away my own slann:(

4. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

I once had a friend beat on turn 1 using my Tomb Kings, but it was mostly a fluke. SSC got to fire in the magic phase with an incantation, caused a large opponent's unit to flee putting them on the edge of the board. It shot again in the shooting phase, caused the big unit of greatswords including general and BSB to flee straight off the board. Game over.

Its mostly luck though. That is pretty bad luck having the Cupped Hands fail! It almost certainly would have won you the game if it succeeded.

5. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

I roll a 1 on either cupped hands or throne of vines WAY too much. It is almost assured that if I only have one or the other up at a given time, that I will roll a 1. HeHe, that's just how I roll.... :smug:

6. CarpetRacer
    Skink

CarpetRacer New Member

Had the exact same thing happen when I was playing my friend's Brets. It was pretty much, ' Well, I will deny you a turn by losing in my own magic phase'.

7. SanDiegoSurrealist
    Ripperdactil

SanDiegoSurrealist New Member

It took longer to deploy our armies than it took to play the actual game.

8. Bonak
    Skink

Bonak Member

Ouch! I don't use slann anymore just because stuff like that happens way too much! Sorry about the loss though.

9. The Hunted
    Carnasaur

The Hunted Active Member

IMO 8th edition battles come down to only a few battles/phases. At one point in the game you just know that thát battle between your SW and their Unit X is going to be crucial. This magic phase was also crucial, although you did not know that on forehand.

ofcourse, this was just...awkward? :p

The Hunted

10. Kawell
    Skink

Kawell New Member

That mustve hurt. I always have that fear of rolling a one with cupped hands.

11. Stonecutter
    Terradon

Stonecutter Member

My last few games, my slaan has died on turn 1 or 2 from the following various combinations:

1) ToV + cupped hands
    2) ToV + soul of stone (twice)
    3) Failed look out, sir + Failed 2+ ward with divine plaque + 5 wounds from a cannon ball

Some days, the dice gods are just out to get you :D

On the bright side, I did end a tourney game once on turn 1 with the death of a single enemy rank and file model in the blood & glory scenario. A sallie killed a single WoC warrior in a chosen star, the unit failed panic + re-roll, and then proceeded to flee off the board since it had a hellcannon parked behind it. Now, if only I could turn that 4:1 ratio of bad dice rolling around in my favour!

12. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Tomb Kings and Vampire Counts have screwed themselves over with miscasts on turn 1, but Slann can take us down better than anyone else.

I find if I get the idea in my head "I'm going to cast this level six spell with IF, toss the miscast over to the enemy general and then double the wounds with my Banehead" I roll one half the time. The other half the time I roll a very weak miscast.

If I roll every dice roll conservatively as if I don't want miscasts, I don't often fail Cupped Hands rolls and the miscasts I do suffer are mild.

Apparently if I aim for irresistible force with Skink Priests, they seem to do better. My last battle I had a Skink priest survive three miscasts.

13. Hinge
    Saurus

Hinge New Member

At last year’s Quake City Rumble, a VC was playing WoC in round 1. The WoC player went first, misfired with the HC. Used the puppet on the VC lord, he was sucked into the warp. Next was the back up Necro, sucked into the warp. The last caster takes a wound.

Game basically over before the VC player got a turn.