1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7th Ed. I just read the new lizardmen codex....

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by LuckyNumbrXIII, Jan 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dalkarius
    Ripperdactil

Dalkarius New Member

Yeah, Box-Ax anbd Chakax are two probably must-have units for my army. Mazdammundi isn't bad though, he's a super Slann with a 2+ armor save and a super-steggy with a 2+ armor save. And he has his I think 4+, maybe 3+ Ward save.

2. To-neh of LaTigra
    Saurus

To-neh of LaTigra New Member

Just to clarify on Stegadons giant bow or giant blowpipes, you can't techneically choose. Stegadons come with a giant bow and Ancient Stegadons come with 2 giant blowpipes. Stegs are special, Ancients are rare. Stegs are the same cost and stats, Ancients have +1 str, -1 Int, -1 atk & cost 40 pts more.

Skink Chiefs can ride either and just replace 1 crew. Skink Priests can only ride Ancients and automatically replace the giant blowpipes with the Engine of the Gods, which has some cool abilites similar to the Dark Elves cauldron of blood. Stegs as mounts do not take any additional hero, special, or rare choice, so a Skink Chief on a Steg only takes 1 hero choice.

3. didleoman
    Chameleon Skink

didleoman New Member

me thinks i'll be fielding two blocks of saurus and a saurus cav with that one anti cav banner in my new list...

i'm going to the GWS nearest me to look through the book :D

4. Aparach
    Troglodon

Aparach New Member

As my lists is no, Chakax would be great to have in my Temple Guard unit! Although the First Character I'll buy will probably be Mazdamundi. He's always been my fav :D

5. Cpeerson2000
    Skink

Cpeerson2000 New Member

Me's thinks you will probably have to just make your own Mazdamuni unit since I have yet to see anything about a model of him being released. Could just plopped a Slann in the Howdah of a Stegadon and there ya go.

6. hellbreaker
    Troglodon

hellbreaker New Member

our guys sound kinda mean! :bored: well, that's just what they should be? but i do get a bir sick of that every army gets "overpowered" whit every release.

7. fer
    Saurus

fer New Member

I am starting a LM army (my WFB first) and I am trying to sort out if the new Battalion box has new saurus and/or skink models or are they repackaging the existing sculpts? I plan on getting one of the new Battalion boxes, and am thinking of getting one of the existing regiments so I can get to test painting my color scheme...but haven't been able to tell if those core models have been redone along with all the other new goodies..

is there a definitive list of what are _new_ sculpts and what are remaining the same?

cheers!

8. LuckyNumbrXIII
    Saurus

LuckyNumbrXIII New Member

The only guys I know are being redone are:
    Temple Guard
    Stegadon
    Terradon
    Kroxigors

Everyone else is the same or is a new character altogether.

Nobody in the battalion box is being redone.

9. Nosreme
    Saurus

Nosreme New Member

On topic, here's a good one for everyone: The new Steggy has a giant bow which is now poisoned. Since it can fire through ranks like a bolt thrower, how exactly does that work when you roll a 6 to hit with ranked units? Does it wound every model in the rank automatically? That one will be FAQ'd for sure.

[EDIT BY CRAKEN]

10. LuckyNumbrXIII
    Saurus

LuckyNumbrXIII New Member

[EDIT BY CRAKEN]

11. Dalkarius
    Ripperdactil

Dalkarius New Member

Well, the thing about the giant bow is one of our new army rules is that all ranged attacks in our army count as poisoned. For this the giant bow was poisoned, which just auto-wounds the first person it hits, but I think it's mainly for large monsters, etc.

As for someone earlier who said that Ancient steggies don't take choices, sorry to rain on your parade but I've read it and you can only take up to 6 stegadons total in a 2000 point list. 4 Special choices and the Ancient either eat of Rare or Heroes, though I can't remember which. And I was rather certain that the book stated Steggies could choose between one blowpipe or one bow, Ancients have two blowpipes unless they have an Engine of the Gods.

Oh! So, the Engine of the Gods? Our new best model. This sucker allows us to field an entire block army with much less worry about enemy fire. You can choose one of three abilities.

1. 5+ Ward save to all friendly units within 12" from magic and normal missles, unless that shooting comes from within 12" of the Engine.

2. 2D6" from the Stegadon, all enemies, including those in close combat, take 2D6 Str 4 hits, Str 5 if the enemy is a Forest Spirit, Undead, or Daemons. (It may just be D6, but I'm rather certain it's 2D6)

3. Choose any one Lore and all of the spells casting value is reduced by one.

Not to mention it generates an extra power di for the priest on top, and there's an eiher 10 or 15 point item that give any wizard and extra spell, which means even in less then 2000 point fights we can still wield a Lvl 3 wizard! HA! I'm ready for this, what about you boys?!

I've already pre-ordered the book, I'm going to make a 7th edition list for a tournament coming up that they're allowing me to use the book on. I'll post my list tomorrow in the Army Lists section with everything but points of course, don't want to get in trouble now. Is that ok, Mods?

12. didleoman
    Chameleon Skink

didleoman New Member

i'm pretty sure that in the book that the regular stegadon gets the giant bow and the ancient gets the blowpipes/engine
    ancients are the rare choice

that cavalry item that causes fear to enemy cav and buffs your cav in 12"... its a very expensive enchanted item... not a banner

the only time poison occurs is if you roll a 6 to hit... so if you kill the first model and since you don't roll to hit anything further (which poison works off to hit roll) you would roll normally to wound IMO

another note on lizard poisoned weapons... if you take the venom magic item that makes mundane weapons poisoned weapons... say the mundane weapon is already poisoned... the item makes a roll of 5+ poison wound

this is the temple guard special character not the albino

13. hellbreaker
    Troglodon

hellbreaker New Member

i think i said it earlier, but i also pre-ordered the book. but concerning the steggy, do you get all three options or just two?

14. Nosreme
    Saurus

Nosreme New Member

When you take a steggy (a special choice), it comes with the giant bow. When you buy an ancient steggy (a rare choice), it comes with 2 giant blow pipes. When you place a skink priest on it, the ancient steggy can be upgraded to the EotG, but it loses the howdah weapons.

As for the poison ruling, I agree that the simplest solution is to just roll to hit on the second model. The only problem with that rule is that you are rolling to hit the unit, not the individual model, and part of the bolt thrower mechanism is that you only have to roll to hit once. So yes, that is a good work around, and I am curious what GW will say.

15. Dalkarius
    Ripperdactil

Dalkarius New Member

Thanks for the clarification on the Steggies. Anyways, I'm off to GW to make a 7th edition list, be back later tonight.

16. Aparach
    Troglodon

Aparach New Member

Does anyone know aproximatly what an ancient stegi with an engine of god will cost? (pts)

Trying to work out some lists here..

17. To-neh of LaTigra
    Saurus

Ancient Steg costs 40 poinst more than the regular Steg. If taken as a mount for a skink preist, add 15 more points to that as it is automatically upgraded to the EotG (no choice in the matter)

18. Dalkarius
    Ripperdactil

Dalkarius New Member

The Engine of the Gods, without the price of the skink is 260 points, and he DOES NOT take up any kind of choice! So, it is now possible to field 10 Seggies, TEN steggies, in a 2000 point list. Regular Ancient Stegadons take up Rare choices, normal steggies for Special, and every Skink Hero can have one for point costs but these Stegadons don't take up any choices! Incredible isn't it?

Oh, also the guy with the weapon that destroys other weapons is good ole Mazdammundi with his Always Strike First poisoned Str 5 attack! So he's a monster at magic AND combat!

EDIT: I know this isn't relevant, but HA! Kroxigor ranking at last!!!

19. To-neh of LaTigra
    Saurus

The ancient steg is 290 without the cost of the priest, not 260. It's 275 as a Rare choice.

20. Dalkarius
    Ripperdactil

Dalkarius New Member

My bad, I knew it was somewhere in that 250-300 range and my memory isn't exactly the best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.