1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Solved I may have accidentally stumbled on to Huagerdons

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Scalenex, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

So I'm working on my backlog of undead sprues. I have some Kings of War skeleton. Most of the sprues happen to come with a skeleton dog. This is not my work but it is a picture I found online that shows what they look like. I got five or six of them. I figure it would be relatively to go to a bits trader site to pick up more. I might even buy more KOW skellies (I only have a mere 145 skeletons after all!). These skeletons are far better than GW skellies in my opinion.

[​IMG]

I thought, why not make them Huagerdons?

Anyway, I could keep them largely as is and call them skeleton Huagerdons, or I could use the skeletons as a framework and green stuff flesh on them.

I think a jungle swarm of Huagderdons would look cool, but I have more than enough jungle swarms. They could work as Lustrian themed undead swarms, but I'm thinking of using a mess of plastic spiders to fill that niche.

I think the best way to use either skeletons or living Huagderons is to put them on the heels of characters though I'm open to other ideas. These bits are too cool not to use, I just don't where yet.

I'm not a particularly deft hand at sculpting but I won't get better if I don't practice. Anyone have any ideas on how to make these skeleton dogs look more lizardy? Either alive or undead.

Aginor likes this.
  2. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

I can't help with sculpting as I suck at that, but I agree with the KOW Skellies, they are really cool. I have 40 of them and I like them. The dogs are awesome.

3. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

For starters: the ones in the picture have vaguely mammalian legs. Jointed and articulated in the manner of mammals :: sorta fore and aft.

Could they be glued together in a different fashion, so that their limbs had that more splayed-out-sidewards look? :: which is fashionable among lizards.

Add a layer of green stuff to their collars :: stamp LM glyphs into that.

Add cute little (obviously carved or forged) miniature spikey nose-armor / skullcaps to their heads :: like people give pets sweaters, but spikey.

Scalenex likes this.
  4. Deed525
    Stegadon

Deed525 Well-Known Member

Exactly!! Practise makes perfect cough ‘Aginor’ cough

Let’s not forget scales - due to their size you don’t want massive back pieces as it will make them too heavy, look at the Bastiladon’s skin - recreate the under layer (hexagonal/square shapes cross crossing the skin, for the top do mottled scales like the skink/saurus (flatter pieces that over lap the under layer)
    All pretty easy to do - once that’s done add fangs? Tongues? A protruding snout/inset nose rather than an actual ‘nose/snout’ and a more stream line tail.
    Reckon they’d look pretty lizerdy

Scalenex likes this.
  5. Scalenex
    Slann

They are pretty static, a right half and a left half are glued together. To splay the legs I'd have to strategically break them. That would be difficult to re-glue back into position because the legs are pretty tiny.

That would be difficult because the collars are tiny but it would be more doable than the leg thing.

I can certainly give that a try. The skull cap would be pretty easy though I see them more as pets or hounds than war dogs so I'm not sure if they need a helmet.

The tiny scales would be difficult but doable. It'd be relatively easy to add fangs or tongues since their mouths are wide open.

6. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

Yiff? Yoff! Yorf...

A reread of the Huangerdon story makes me think of it as a fur-covered critter?

Yarf / Yorf sounds non-reptile.

7. Scalenex
    Slann

I was deliberately making Huagerdons as dog-like as possible. But its still a little dinosaur, hence the "don" suffix.