1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Icebloods... My Lizardmen PLOG

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by APhilmon, Oct 10, 2012.

1. APhilmon
    Cold One

APhilmon New Member

I figured I would just keep it simple. Too many colors, especially the wrong ones, just make things look like a cluster. Going to work on the black for the skrox(weapon shafts and eye pupils) and get more details on the saurus. Basing should start before next weekend, I hope!

Glad you like them!

2. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

It definitely highlights the ice weapons, that's for sure. You could add a bit more varied colour to the standard, just to break it up a bit.

3. APhilmon
    Cold One

APhilmon New Member

The standard will definitely be a bit different. I may implement the same purple gray that is on the stegadon onto the standards. Not sure on it yet though. But the bases will be having a little color on them. 1-2 different grasses, some snow, a little ice in some places, and rocks.

4. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

I got to say, I think Mossy is right. Lot of black white and blue. Could use a splash of color to break it up a bit. Then again my army is probably on the vibrant side to say the least.

But an idea I use and think you could benfit from is; pick a color (I use red) and reserve it for the important things. Lords, Heros, rare, important unit champs. And just add a splash. Viewing your army as a whole it will draw the eye to your lords and such. The important things. Make them stand out. Esp if you pick a warm color in your entirely cool colored army. I think it would do you wonders.

Also, got to say the gems on your skink standard look great!

5. APhilmon
    Cold One

APhilmon New Member

A few pics of the current state of the Saurus. Did the ice weapons up the other day. Will move onto the eyes and the armor/ornaments.

I decided the shields used in this army will probably be ice as well, unless I can come up with something else. I am thinking of doing the feathers in white and purple(not sure how dark or bright yet). I have even considered doing the shields in Hydra skin color, but not sure what that would be yet haha. Thinking maybe a highlighted charcoal grey? So many decisions! Anyway, enjoy!

6. APhilmon
    Cold One

APhilmon New Member

Skink Priest, still working on it

Slann, obviously a work in progress

Thinking of running the Slann as Heavens or Life when he is the only spellcaster, but as Light if he has a Skink Priest around. At 1500 points I only have enough for the Slann as a BSB/General/Spell Caster.

Anyway, thoughts?

7. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Caprasauridae Well-Known Member

The Slann is fantastic, I really like the white "eyebags" he has under his eyes! The Skink Priest looks really good, I like how you made him a different colour than the regular Skinks. Great work all in all!

8. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

FavoredoftheOldOnes Member

Both the skinks and slann are coming along nicely. Keep up the good work

9. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

you are really working wonders with that limited palette! the purple on the feathers both contrast and fit in well. good job! :)

10. APhilmon
    Cold One

APhilmon New Member

Thank you all! Going to try and get the slann done today. Maybe base his stand and everything. The "palanquin" I have for him is made from rock and putty. Pictures will have to do, and I will post some later today if possible! I have so e things to do, but I may be able to get some pics.

I will also be trying to get the 36 strong saurus spear unit up and running today. At least deal with the mold lines and flash. Then a nice bath in warm water and a tooh rush scrub with some soap. The models have shields already glued to them, so I need to find out just how secure they are and either leave them on or remove them.

Trying to get whole of two dark elf cold ones to convert to salamanders, but no luck yet!

11. APhilmon
    Cold One

APhilmon New Member

Some updated WIP of the Slann:

Got some work to do, specifically basing and the ornaments on the Slann. He is not glued down right now, but that is where he is going to sit!

12. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

That slann is beautiful. brilliantly painted. His eyeballs and pupils in particular really bring the model to life.

13. APhilmon
    Cold One

APhilmon New Member

Thanks a lot! So much to do in the next week or so... 36 more Saurus with Spears. They can go 6 x 6 or 10 x 4(with Slann in there). So I have some options there.

Pic of Slann in said unit. You can see the amount of work I have ahead of me in working on the Saurus!

14. APhilmon
    Cold One

APhilmon New Member

Few pics of the Slann with some basing done to it:

Enjoy!!

:smug:

15. Jinxed
    Jungle Swarm

Jinxed New Member

This army is so beautiful that I had to register and ask you if you could please write a small tutorial on how you achieve this paint scheme?

You've inspiried me so much that I have decided I'm going to be buying Lizardmen as my next army and do my darndest to try and copy your style :> Although I'm completly new to Warhammer, haven't painted a single figure yet, only bought an army second hand, but looking at these pics is inspirational :>

16. APhilmon
    Cold One

APhilmon New Member

Wow, glad you like them. This is the first time someone has told me they registered for my paint job/models. It really is nothing too hard, and that may be the real attraction there. I think in terms of total man hours I have worked on these comes up to around 48 hours total. I like to work quick(with this army) seeing as it is my "easy" army. No crazy conversions or anything, just using the models. Now I do have a few things slated to do as conversions, but that is because I do not want to pay for Slamander models(so expensive) when I can do a conversion and have a "one of a kind" type of model. But more on that later.

I will come up with a simple tutorial later this week, just have to sit down and take a few pics of the paints so you know what I use and maybe show a few step by steps.

Anyway, a few more updated pics, basically basing updates:

I also have already added the static grass and painted the textured ground on the rest of the entire army. But I didn't want to spend too much time applying snow, it is slightly more time consuming. Thing is I tend to slow down after doing the same thing over and over again as opposed to speeding up. I do have the Stegadon crew mostly painted, but will not be gluing them down until they are 100%.

17. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

Man that Slann looks amazing man! Awesome paint scheme and terrific base. Love it!

18. APhilmon
    Cold One

APhilmon New Member

Favored, glad you like them!! :)

The entire army has been based.

Now I need to finish up details and shields. I have a deal for some DE Cold Ones that I plan to convert into salamanders. 3 of them are coming. I also worked a deal for 24 skinks. 12 will be converted to handlers. 8 will be for skroxigor unit. Then I can finish up my third Krox for the skrox.

Can't wait, pics coming soon!

19. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

Great work. That greyscale paint scheme works really well on the slann and the stegadon.

20. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

Cant wait to see your conversion work for the salamanders. I too have thought about converting DE cold ones into salamanders myself.