1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Is this a valid Kroak nuke?

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Zarathustra, May 7, 2016.

1. Zarathustra
    Skink

Zarathustra Member

So, looking at bringing out some old models, including the Balewind Vortex. Would running Kroak on a Balewind Vortex, next to 3 Astrolith bearers stack?

For those unfamiliar with the balewind vortex, it is a scenery piece summoned by a wizard, who is placed on top of it. He then gets +1 casting and double his spell range.

On a tertiary question, how would I apply double spell range to Celestial Deliverance when using astroliths? Would I add the +8 to the 3d6 range, before doubling it? Would I double 3d6, then add +8 ? And considering astroliths appear to stack as per the recent FAQ, would using three or four of them, let me reach 100+ inches in range and essentially wipe the field entirely?

2. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

I think You would double it then add the 8. But yeah, you could essentially give Kroak a big enough range to wipe out nearlh any targets!

3. Zarathustra
    Skink

Zarathustra Member

I imagine it would be the kind of combo that would make you, "that guy" especially if you were to run a couple of other wizards to cast shield on Kroak, to give him a combined +1 save, and make it even worse with a Skink Priest using priestly trappings for the rerolling goodness...

Otzi'mandias likes this.
  4. Otzi'mandias
    Ripperdactil

Otzi'mandias Well-Known Member

You'd get one or two games of pure annihilation, then you'll begin to notice that people stop talking to you after a while...

Bowser likes this.
  5. Zarathustra
    Skink

Zarathustra Member

It would be interesting though, to see just how far you could push Kroak towards godhood, I want to see Papa Toad take down Nagash!

6. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

As already said by @Bowser, the range is 3d6"x2+8". This is why:

balewind vortex "doubles the range of any spell the wizard attempt to cast"
    the astrolith bearer's Celestial conduit says "if the spell is cast, add 8" to the range"

So, you attempt to cast a spell, wich will have a double range tnx to the vortex (3d6 x2), If the casting is successful, you add the 8" bonus from the BSB.

Bowser likes this.
  7. Zarathustra
    Skink

Zarathustra Member

Ah, so then I stack more than one BSB then, to make it an army grinding weapon... btw, is Balewind worth it for a Kroak or a Slann, if only because of the +1 casting and the +1 save ?

8. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Against some armies it works nicely, but you must be careful.... under certain conditions, it would be simply suicidal: for example, every cannon in the battlefield will have LoS on you, and you will be out of range from the Eternity Warden.