1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion Is WFB/AoS set in the future of 40k?

Discussion in 'Fluff and Stories' started by Lord Skal'terakk, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Lord Skal'terakk
    Chameleon Skink

Lord Skal'terakk Well-Known Member

I haven't seen any mention of this, but I mean, it would explain Slaanesh being a young god in 40k and not as young in AoS, Gork and Mork being two entities in the former game and being a single one in the Mortal Realms. I don't know, just throwing this here, what do you guys think?

Paradoxical Pacifism likes this.
  2. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

I always envisioned Fantasy being set in around the same time as 40K or before it, but in a different galaxy. Certainly the two game systems correlate, and I see them as being linked by one particular event - I believe the disappearance of the Old Ones from the Fantasy world was where they left to aid the rest of their kind in the war in the Milky Way against the Necrontyr, the living species that would become the Necrons. Initially the Old Ones were winning, but the tables turned when the Necrontyr forged their pact with the C’Tan and underwent biotransferrance, becoming the immortal and nearly unkillable Necrons. The Old Ones were subsequently all destroyed, representing the fact that they never returned to the Lizardmen in the Warhammer World.

Conversely I would agree that AoS must be after the events of 40K, because the imprisonment of Slaanesh by the Elves between the orbiting planets Ulgu and Hysh would cause Slaanesh to become absent from the Milky Way in 40K, and currently no such absence has occurred in 40K. If Slaanesh does disappear at all in the lore at some point in the future, that’s where 40K will be linked to AoS.

So essentially the 40K present should be somewhere between the disappearance of the Old Ones from the Warhammer World and the imprisonment of Slaanesh in the AoS Mortal Realms.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    Paradoxical Pacifism likes this.
  3. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

I also wondered about that and read a bit about it on the Internet.
    There used to be an implied connection between the two universes in earlier editions, but at some point GW clarified that the two universes aren't related, they just refused some names and assets.

4. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

I'd be interested to know when that actually was, because if it was after 5th Edition 40K when the war against the Old Ones first appeared in Necron lore, then you could still say that that piece of lore connects the two universes together. Certainly I myself ignore any 40K lore after 6th Edition.

5. Y'ttar Scaletail
    Troglodon

Y'ttar Scaletail Well-Known Member

As I recall in the old Warhammer Albion campaign there were revered artefacts...which were pretty much 40k chainswords and bolters.

Not to mention during the End Times whilst travelling through the Realms of Chaos the elves trying to save Isha from Nurgle came across a silver knight (heavily implied to be Kaldor Draigo or another Grey Knight.)

Likewise named daemons cross over between Fantasy and 40k.

I believe it's meant to be a case of different realities altogether, possibly with some kind of reality hopping between when they do cross. The whole thing with the Chaos Gods is tricky though. End Times posited that once the Fantasy world was consumed, the Gods jumped to another reality to do it all again. Is the Warp a seperate reality joining all or is it an alternate reality within a reality puckered by odd holes and linking lines to another version of the Warp/Realms? Given how there are no Skaven or presence of the Horned Rat in 40K (Originally the Hrud were going to be a kinda space Skaven but instead are now creepy slinky guys that have an entrophy field, there's also in the Fantasy Flight Games Rogue Trader rpg mention of a verminous devolved race on a planet that visually looks a bit like Skaven) as well as no Hashut, Stromfels, Necoho, but Malal under the guise of Malice i'd argue more for different realities with intersecting points.