1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS It's 4 years and still we don't get anything

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by ChubbSkink, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

Our key is a few things
    1. Mobility, LoSaT and stuff like DT is excellent in speed
    2. Diversity in our army is still strong
    3. Magic game is on point

If we use them to our advantage we tend to win

Endless spells are scary, so I definitely see what your saying about tzeentch being potent

LizardWizard likes this.
  2. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Putzfrau Well-Known Member

A lot of hate in this thread

Seraphon are a solidly decent army and can compete with all but the best of the best lists.

3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

4. Xuil
    Chameleon Skink

Xuil Well-Known Member

I don’t hate our guys, despite what it may sound like on occasion!:oops:

We can win. My issue is that it almost always has to be due to circumstances/better plays, never due to favourable warscroll match-ups.

5. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

memes for the meme god!!!

6. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Just doing my part! ;)

7. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Isnt that just how it should be?

Its a skill based army that has had multiple builds go 4-1 or better in major tournaments.

Thats a reasonably healthy situation.

For anyone that wants to win just off warscrolls. Slaanesh has a couple weeks before theyre gutted ;)

8. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Why are they being gutted?

LizardWizard, Dr.Doom and Lizerd like this.
  9. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

Slaanesh is op and needs a nerf. Likely they need to be brought in line

10. Womboski
    Temple Guard

Womboski Well-Known Member

Seraphon is in a weird spot. The have very strong army abilities that can have huge impact on the game. Also ability to have lots of models on the board as well as punch a good amount of dmg. The weirdness comes when you compare the raw warscrolls to newer ones. Our really outdated rules that are not relevant or redundant stick out.

Plus our lack of updates about our lore or involvement is a bummer.

11. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Via FAQ/ERATTA or Battletome or General's handbook?

LizardWizard, Dr.Doom and Lizerd like this.
  12. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

Likely through FAQ and Eratta as they don’t need a new battletome

13. Womboski
    Temple Guard

Womboski Well-Known Member

I would like to see KO updated and deepkin get some endless spells/ a model or two more. I'm biased towards deepkin, but part of the problem with eel spam is they don't have a lot of other options.

14. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

They need some more variety in terms of models.

LizardWizard and Lizerd like this.
  15. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

An arkanaut based cities list just went 5 and 0 at da boyz. Was very cool, very anti meta.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  16. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Mostly just a joke haha

17. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Issue is that a great deal of our stuff just flat out doesn't work, or at least not in the way they are supposed to. The powerfantasy of say guards is rather ruined given how weirdly squishy they are.

Besides that, having significantly worse warscrolls means that a weaker opponent can beat us simply because his stuff has better stats. Which is frustrating. Similarly, not having anything that can actually fight that rampaging bloodthirster/keeper of secret/terrogheist/whatever and being forced to always stall with cannonfodder isn't very satisfying either.

Also, the few mechanics that we have that are genuinly good are used as crutches and becoming overly dependent on those will have severe consequences for any futher updates. Which can mean these various frustrations can be made worse as the designers start to lean into these strength and weaknesses since it apparently works as we can "compete.

Overall, we don't necesarly need an update cuz we're too "weak" to compete, we need an update to remove the various sources of frustration before these become so ingrained in the faction that they can no longer be removed without a complete overhaul.

knave, Womboski, LizardWizard and 4 others like this.
  18. Scurvydog
    Saurus

Scurvydog Active Member

I am very interested in seeing where GW goes with Seraphon, as I suspect they are not overly happy with the faction as it is right now. I would not be surprised by a lot of pruning, altohugh the Ogors book show they do not worry about keeping resin models, but the ogor ones do hold up a bit better than some seraphon models.

A best case scenario would be a surprise release in line with Slaves to Darkness right now, getting a new mounted hero, new saurus knights and new saurus warriors (please a warrior/guard dual kit!), that would fix up the model line quite neatly. They could begin moving the design a little bit, keeping the same overall look, but AoSifying it a bit, making them a bit more sci-fi seems to be a popular spin on the aztec look, stargate stuff.

I do not have high hopes though. So far I got a lot of saurus knight in grey plastic, I simply can't get myself to paint them, they are so awful sculpts it hurts.

19. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

No, it isn't.
    If you need to be smarter then your opponent during all the game to have a chance to win, this means that the army is falling back and that you cannot afford any mistake.
    We are slowly being forced to adopt a certain playstyle to be competitive, despite the fact that at the beginning it wasn't this way.
    Our dinosaurs were designed for melee; our elite troops were considered amongst the hardest nut to crack. In the past, a new player could win (when facing an equally able opponent) just because our warscrolls were strong, when supported by synergies (and synergy was the key to victory not only for us, but for all the armies).

Now, our synergized units are shredded by unbuffed enemy units. Some of our old abilities, that once were very strong (debuffs to bravery and Blood Roar, just to name one) are now obsolete.
    We must play hit & run, movement and positioning, we need to outsmart the opponent and avoid serious combat like the plague.
    And this is not an effect of a redesign of our army, but it's the effect of all the other ones evolving, while we're stuck with a 2015 Battletome and our strongest tools are abilities given to us by 2018-19 General Handbooks.

So no, it is not how it should be. Even if i like this kind of playstyle (which i do), it should be a free choice, not a mandatory one.

Khatif, PabloTho, Womboski and 7 others like this.
  20. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

I think what I was trying to say is being a little misinterpreted. We need a new book. Unquestionably so. Carnosaurs are laughable when compared to the the current monsters and a lot of our current mechanics/warscrolls are just janky af. Certain warscrolls and abilities have waned in the four years or whatever since our book has been released.

We just simply aren't as bad as a lot of posts in this thread implied, and that was my only point. I wasn't saying we have a ton of great warscrolls and it's a fun, diverse army that has a lot of strategic possibilities. Because its doesnt and theres generally a few tricks you are relying pretty heavily on to win.

With that out of the way, i both agree and disagree with a lot of what you said. Your individual points about our warscrolls I largely agree with, but the overarching point I do not. Fundamentally, I don't have a problem with "you need to be smarter then your opponent during all the game to have a chance to win." In my opinion, that's not inherently a bad thing.

Do we have to adopt a certain playstyle to win? In a sense yes, but also it's literally the same playstyle lizardmen have always needed to adopt. Since 6th edition we have been a movement based army that relies on superior tactics and punishing mistakes to win. We've don't have a combat oriented way to deal with the keepers of the world, but we dont need to.

Now, is that a "good" position to be in? Honestly, i'm not sure which is why i never made a judgement on that. My only statement is we are a solidly above average army and that a good player can win consistently with a good seraphon list.

that's about all you can ask for in any competitive games workshop game. There are very few books that support multiple competitive lists and multiple competitive ways to play any given book.

With all that said, i'm still consistently surprised how well random lizardmen lists seem to do. People thought terradons were terrible and a 21 terradon strong double shadowstrike list just went 4-1. A Gotrek based list went 4-1 a few weeks before that and a thunderquake list won adepitcon. The adepticon winning player is currently running a slann/kroak endless spell spam list and seems to feel like it's decently competitive. For a four year old book that's actually kind of awesome.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019