1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Its not easy being green

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by redeyefrog, Aug 25, 2010.

1. redeyefrog
    Saurus

redeyefrog New Member

Thanks any suggestions on saurus I am kinda stuck weather to go with a completly different scheme or go the green posssibly with soot black snouts and hands like hela monsters. The base was flocked with rooibos tea you can get it from any specialty tea shop very cheap like 10 bucks for 100 grams you can even get it cheaper from web stores there is a huge variety.

2. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Saurus usually work well in a pretty similar colour scheme to skinks and even krox. Generally, if every type of unit is a completely different scheme, it will not look like a uniform army.

A bit of black on the nose or something might work well to tie them in with the skinks but also distinguish them.

3. redeyefrog
    Saurus

redeyefrog New Member

Here are some pics of my Saurus proto type any suggestions would be appreciated and could any one tell me how many in a 8th edition army unit.
    DSCN0994.jpg
    DSCN0997.jpg
    DSCN0996.jpg
    DSCN0998.jpg
    Redeyefrog

4. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

I really like the scheme, you did a really good job! The only thing I would change is the spear shaft. Maybe paint it black or really dark brown. Right now, it doesn't differ enough from the skin of the saurus. Great scheme and painting though, keep going!

I prefer to field 20+ strong unit of saurus in 8. 20 in under 2k, 24+ over that.

5. giant stegadon
    Saurus

giant stegadon New Member

I like both the skinks & saurus- you've done a good job. Giving the saurus a light belly also helps with making it more eye catching. Can we get a better pic of the belly view? I have to dissent & say I dont mind the spear shaft being light colored.

6. redeyefrog
    Saurus

redeyefrog New Member

Thanks for your comments I have darkened the spear and modified the sheild
    DSCN1001.jpg
    DSCN1000.jpg
    hope its a better shot of the chest
    Redeyefrog

7. Hiv0r
    Chameleon Skink

Hiv0r New Member

Quite cool might look a little funky when there are loads ranked up. Not too keen on the eye bit on the shield I would prefer it all look like the surrounding parts.

I really like your basing =)

8. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

Real nice once again!. I'll be aiming at a similar scheme with my hand weapon and shields saurus, mind explaining what you did?

9. redeyefrog
    Saurus

redeyefrog New Member

The eye is going to be the tie in for the unit.
    the green goblin green base washed with dark angle green mix with one go wax then hilighted with gobin green highlighted with scopion green.
    Brown p3 umbral umber dry brushed with bestial browm washe with devlon mud dry brushed with p3 memoth white base then washed with gryphone sepia twice
    horn base bestial brown then p3 boot strap leather washed with gyphone sepia then memoth white base then white.
    mouh paint bestial brown then make wash 1 part red gore 1 water 1 wax do teeth same as horn but use more white more use.
    metal is experimental at moment finding best use of pigments.
    shield is a gradual build up of washes
    hope this helps
    Redeyefrog

10. redeyefrog
    Saurus

redeyefrog New Member

sorry too much rum
    chest p3 moldy ochre washed with sepia highlighted with sepia mix with moldy ochre
    wood menoth white base washed with sepia twice
    hope this answers your request
    redeyefrog hic

11. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

FavoredoftheOldOnes Member

Those are some really nice looking skinks! The saurus is greatly done as well. I love the eye on the shiled, looks awesome! Your bases are also very stunning.

12. lordofwar
    Skink

lordofwar New Member

why cant i see any pics

13. redeyefrog
    Saurus

redeyefrog New Member

I am not sure I will try looking from another computer to see if I have any trouble they are on photobucket.
    Redeyefrog

14. redeyefrog
    Saurus

redeyefrog New Member

Iwas not going to do any more posts till the unit was finished but I am always happy when I finish a standard.
    DSCN1020.jpg
    DSCN1021.jpg
    DSCN1022.jpg
    Redeyefrog

15. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

Once again, that green scheme of yours is just awesome! Also, nice work on the basing, can't wait to see the full unit together.

16. Rokanos
    Kroxigor

Rokanos Well-Known Member

Looking awesome so far! I might steal the idea for those feathers if you don't mind. :)

I like the "eye" on the shield, it gives the model itself some "pizzazz" while also tying everything together.

Good work! Looking forward to seeing more!

17. Iggy Koopa
    Chameleon Skink

Iggy Koopa New Member

Hey,

Just seen your paint job on the skink and saurus and it is looking really good! I like what you've done with the painting of the belly, it makes it stand out more and i've never seen a unit of saurus look like that. I have to admit that I'm going to try it out on my saurus warriors and see if I can achieve the same effect. You have given me some inspiration! I look forward to monitoring your progress. Thanks and keep up the good work!

Iggy Koopa

18. redeyefrog
    Saurus

redeyefrog New Member

I was going to give myself a break from painting saurus so I decided to start my convesion on my steg there is still a lot of green stuff to do but I want to know what you think of the idea. First the victim
    DSCN1025.jpg
    DSCN1023.jpg
    DSCN1024.jpg
    and the effect
    DSCN1026.jpg
    DSCN1027.jpg
    any comments will be apreciated and changes can and will be done before I will go forward and possibly ruin the model.
    Redeyefrog

19. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Wow thats impressive. I have toyed with the idea of reshaping the steg legs to make it a bit more dynamic, but I came to the conclusion that it would be too hard to attempt at my level. Looks good so far!

The leg in the air does appear a little bit short though, since it is stretched out. And if it is raising itself up that high then I think it needs to have something serious that it is trying to get over rather than just barrel through, like a pile of rocks or something. Just the two slightly unnatural things that jumped out at me after I looked at it for a while.

20. redeyefrog
    Saurus

redeyefrog New Member

Thanks Strewart you have given me the idea that I will have him crashing throught a stacked stone fence which the hapless victim was defending. Ill do the fence and then see how the lenght of the leg looks. That foot is the only original leg I might turn the hoof back so the stomping will look not intentional the whole aim was crossing the fence