1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Tired of the same old Slann pose? Or just want to show off your painting skills. Why not try entering your own version to the Golden Slann competition - Click here for more info.
    Dismiss Notice

JamJar's Roaring Carnosaur

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by JamJar, May 28, 2017.

1. JamJar
    Chameleon Skink

JamJar Well-Known Member

Here it is!!!

Pardon the long delay in delivering. I decided tonight was the night and it had to be done, you all deserve this after being with me from the start. Also I needed to prove I did actually get this working before you all starting giving up on me ;)

The video was shot from my phone secured to a scratch-built rig made from a desk vice, a clothes hanger, a steel ruler and lots of duct tape. After many many takes I chose this one as it was good enough.

In the video I run through all 7 roars I loaded onto the sound module. After this, I place a piece of foam in the mouth the show how it is affected. Ideally I should have blocked the mouth completely with blue tac or tape. I then disassemble the model and show how the current magnets are strong enough to hold everything together, even when shaken. The foam inside is meant to lessen the sound travelling behind the speaker to reduce echo inside the plastic model.

With the speaker isolated, I run a couple of roars to show how the sound is no longer focused through the throat & mouth and has little 'depth' to it. When I hold the speaker firmly in one hand in the shape of a ring, the audio has higher quality and is also louder because the dense tunnel-shaped surface assists in directing the sound waves...or something along those lines. Once I reassemble the model, purposely leave the foam out to give a comparison to the initial roars from the start of the video. I don't think the foam makes too much of a difference and I might even test different materials for better sound quality.

Among other things I also need to glue another magnet or two as I've knocked the magnet under the stomach out of place.

Happy listening :headphone:

- JamJar

2. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

Sounds good! Great work! But what else can you expected from a civil engineer? ;)

JamJar likes this.
  3. Slannta's Little Helper
    Cold One

Slannta's Little Helper Active Member

Has to be one of the single greatest additions to a model I've ever seen, can't wait till its all painted up and battle ready - you're gonna be the talking point of your local store or game sessions wherever you take this bad ass model :D

JamJar and tom ndege like this.
  4. Aginor
    Skar-Veteran

Aginor Well-Known Member

Good job!

JamJar likes this.
  5. JamJar
    Chameleon Skink

JamJar Well-Known Member

I can tell you if I had graduated in mechatronics I'd probably make the carno run off its base and eat other models :D
    I really should incorporate some civil engineering stuff seeing as it's unusual for us to dabble in the field of electronics.

I have been trying a carno lead army recently. Still, I am only part of the way through this project but it will be a centrepiece once complete. I will provide plently of pictures during battle :)