1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Janf's Painting Blog

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Janf, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Janf
    Chameleon Skink

Janf Well-Known Member

Hello everyone and welcome to my painting blog. After a warm and pleasant welcome form you members I am quite excited for my very first post. This is where I will pose pretty much anything about the progress of painting my army. I will divide my posts into “projects” where I focus on painting a specific unit/hero/whatever and aim to finish a project before starting a new. This is a prefered way for me rather than a garantie ;) I do however keep a little something on the side in secret that I will reveal each weekend. Just to keep you interested ;) This will most likely be pictures of a unit/hero in my army that I've painted or repainted recently.
    My posts will likely be a little text heavy. I like to write about my projects to give you a more personal view into my painting. If you want to know more about me (for some mysterious reason), I've made a post in the introduction section that pretty much sums up my background concerning the hobby. Feel free to check it out. Here is the link: http://www.lustria-online.com/threads/new-member-heres-my-contribute-to-the-great-plan.18015/

Any comments, feedback, tips are always most welcome so don't hold back :)

SAURUS WARRIORS PROJECT

I decided to start out easily and show some love for my old Saurus Warriors. As of now I have 1 unit of 19 lizards with spears and one unit of 10 with hand weapons that I painted waay back. Fortunately I had another 11 lying around totally unpainted, so I thought that this would be a good place to start. Painting these guys would bring my warriors up to two regiments of 20 each. I made them 4 at a time (3 the last time). I started with priming them blue. Here they are ready for further painting.
    DSC_0214.JPG

After some base colors done I tried drybrushing the scales. This didn't go exactly as planned. I feel like the lighter color that I wanted to mark the edges of the scales kind of painted the scales entirely. It came off a little flat. I might have been doing the drybrushing wrong. Any tips? Also I saw my opportunity to try out the Citadel Texture Paints. This is “Lustrian Undergrowth” (duh!) with a slightly lighter green drybrush. I must say I kind of like the texture paints. I have never quite gotten the hang of making bases and this certainly was an easy way to do it. I do however feel it might be quite an expensive solution since I already used a lot of the stuff on only a few models...
    I also highlighted the skin. I tried painting thin lines on the head and body to represent the leathery reptile look.
    DSC_0215.JPG DSC_0218.JPG
    DSC_0220.JPG

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
    DarkMatter, Seraphage, n810 and 9 others like this.
  2. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

Looks nice! Maybe you had too much paint on your brush when dry brushing? Your base looks nice! Maybe I'll try some texture paint, too...

3. Janf
    Chameleon Skink

Janf Well-Known Member

Thanks for your answer @tom ndege! I might have had too much paint yes. On heroes I want to paint lines along each scale indivudually but with regular regiments it would be nice with a quicker method, so I would like to be better at drybrushing. I'll try with even less paint next time :)

Bowser and tom ndege like this.
  4. Bracnos
    Carnasaur

Bracnos Well-Known Member

nice work looks a dam sight better than my first models, the only tip I can think to give you is to wash your gold in flesh or sepia then highlight in a rune fang or a brighter gold

Janf likes this.
  5. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

when you dry brush you want your brush to be almost free of paint, brush off the excess on a paper towel until it leaves no trace. Brush down the model that way it will highlight the top of the scales more.

Huanchi, Bowser and Janf like this.
  6. Janf
    Chameleon Skink

Janf Well-Known Member

Thank you for your tips @Bracnos and @Crowsfoot!
    As for the gold I do intend to shade and highlight it - I might have a weird order of doing things. I tend to finish skin and scales first since these are the largest areas. Then I move on to accessories :) I've tried using silver as highlights, but I prefer a lighter gold. I've just bought some new paints (since all my old ones were pretty much dried out) including one called "Liberator Gold" for the exact purpose of gold highlights. I haven't tried it yet and I'm quite excited to do so :) I will also try to angle my brush better when drybrushing! Thanks again!

Bowser and Bracnos like this.
  7. Janf
    Chameleon Skink

Janf Well-Known Member

On to the shields! My painted shields back in my younger days were giant pools of Blood Red. I wanted to achieve a bit more intriguing and worn look this time. As if the shields had been carried to battle for hundreds of years. I drybrushed with reddish and orange tones. I think it went okay and the shields definetly look more used than my old ones.
    DSC_0221.JPG

Seraphage, Warden, Toltecatl and 5 others like this.
  8. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

Looks good.

Janf likes this.
  9. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

I like the contrast between the light and dark blue, looks really good on that Saurus. Those shields look awesome! Looking forward to more!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  10. Janf
    Chameleon Skink

Janf Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for your kind words @Bowser! I'm really glad you like it.

Bowser likes this.
  11. Janf
    Chameleon Skink

Janf Well-Known Member

After two days of concentrated painting my 11 warriors are done! I’ve experimented a bit with different tones of their skin and scales and their gold/bronze since I’m still trying to find the color scheme I like the best. The difference is minor though. I’m not sure it really shows on the pictures.
    Anyway, below are some pics of my finished Saurus Warriors Project! I’ve put them together with my older models that I painted around six years ago so you can have a full look at the two regiments. I repainted every one of my old models around a year before I took a break from the hobby (approximately 7 years ago). I had gotten better with the brush and felt like shining up my whole army I guess. Still I can see some improvements with the new ones myself which is just a great feeling.
    I got a little better at drybrushing aswell. It helped angling the drush so thanks again for the tips guys! I still feel like a need practice with the technique though so it’s a good thing I have a lot more to paint coming up soon ;)
    DSC_0332.JPG DSC_0346.JPG
    DSC_0352.JPG
    DSC_0361.JPG
    DSC_0362.JPG
    DSC_0363.JPG
    DSC_0364.JPG
    DSC_0366.JPG
    DSC_0377.JPG
    more pics below :)

Seraphage, Warden, Jorgik and 7 others like this.
  12. Janf
    Chameleon Skink

Janf Well-Known Member

The regiments:
    One new spear warrior and 10 new with hand weapons :)
    DSC_0339.JPG
    DSC_0381.JPG
    DSC_0345.JPG
    And a little picture just for fun - I always had problems with the standard bearers tipping over. Small stones can help out though it might not be the prettiest sollution ;)
    DSC_0386.JPG

Athrenax, Warden, Toltecatl and 7 others like this.
  13. Bracnos
    Carnasaur

Bracnos Well-Known Member

I like it nice work...I noticed the standard bearers tipping to so I put a small piece of sheethe metal steel and boom no longer falls

Bowser and Janf like this.
  14. Essmir
    Chameleon Skink

Essmir Well-Known Member

You realy nail the shading! Lovley work.

Janf likes this.
  15. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

They look great got a tip for you, when you drybrush your shields do a rotation motion with your brush that will help the shield to look like scales.

Love the colour scheme very similar to my own.

Seraphage, Bowser, Janf and 1 other person like this.
  16. SlanntaClause
    Carnasaur

SlanntaClause Well-Known Member

Woah these are expertly done :) my favourite shield are the worn out ones making them look like they've seen battles :D

Janf and tom ndege like this.
  17. SlanntaClause
    Carnasaur

SlanntaClause Well-Known Member

When I got some ripperdactlys and the other flying one terradon the guy had glued 2 pence pieces to the bottom of the base for balance it works really well :D

Janf likes this.
  18. Janf
    Chameleon Skink

Janf Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for the positive feedback guys!! Your comments are very motivating. Thanks for the tip @Crowsfoot - I will be sure to try that :)
    I'm glad it worked out with the ripperdactyls @SlanntaClause and I really appreciate the kind comment!

SlanntaClause likes this.
  19. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

They look incredible ranked up in their regiments. Really great work.

Janf and SlanntaClause like this.
  20. Janf
    Chameleon Skink

Janf Well-Known Member

Bowser likes this.
  21. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Great classic paint job on those Saurus. :D

Janf likes this.