1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Janf's Painting Blog

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Janf, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Janf
    Chameleon Skink

Janf Well-Known Member

I appreciate the tip @n810. The point pen sounds interesting. I might just buy one to try it out :)

Bowser likes this.
  2. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

Yes. Those pens work great. For shiny eyes I paint them in a bright colour and then us some wash... Depending on the colours I used sepia or nulin oil... then I try highlighting the center and give them another light wash... Sometimes it works good, sometimes I have to repaint the eyes when finished... ;)

Janf and Bowser like this.
  3. Janf
    Chameleon Skink

Janf Well-Known Member

I see. I will definitely try and shade the eyes when I'm doing the riders then. I appreciate the insight in your painting @tom ndege! :)

tom ndege and Bowser like this.
  4. Bracnos
    Carnasaur

Bracnos Well-Known Member

I hate how your "beginner" bar is at master level man these models look good your almost get me to like the look of those cold ones (but the DE ones look way better you should get them ^_^)

5. Janf
    Chameleon Skink

Janf Well-Known Member

Thank you @Bracnos! Well I'm not new to the hobby. I've painted for approximately 6 years starting out when I was around 10. Then I took a long break and now I'm back! So I've painted before. I'm only new to all the advanced techniques like drybrushing, highlighting, shading ect. :) I'm really glad you like them. I consider your own work pretty amazing so it means a lot to me!

Bracnos, Bowser and SlanntaClause like this.
  6. Janf
    Chameleon Skink

Janf Well-Known Member

SALAMANDER PROJECT

Now look what I found! A lovely salamander from the marches of the swampy jungle! I never painted one of these before so I do look forward to doing so. I had to patch him up a bit around the neck since he was badly chipped there. I'm pretty sure I have another one lying around that I will try to find aswell.
    DSC_0242.JPG

Here he is after the first basecoat. I tried using a more subdued orange since my old Blazing Orange color was too bright to my liking. I'm not sure what color I will paint the scales yet. The original color scheme would be black with grey highlights but I am tempted to paint them brown. Do you think it would work out? Or would the brown clash with the orange? :)
    DSC_0247.JPG

BTW, I'm making progress on the Cold One Riders but I have set their project on a small pause because I really really want to paint the Salamander :D I'll get back to them soon! I will also have a weekend reveal ready for tonight or tomorrow! :)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
    Warden, Jorgik, Bracnos and 2 others like this.
  7. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

I think the brown will compliment the orange. But black and grey would look good too.

Janf likes this.
  8. Janf
    Chameleon Skink

Janf Well-Known Member

I decided to go for dark brown scales and a yellow underbelly. The skin and belly is shaded with Seraphim Sepia. I also started making the base - I tried out something new and implemented plastic plants. The idea is of cause to resemble the lush jungle environment of Lustria. I have my fingers crossed for it to turn out well in the end!
    Next step is the small sails on his back. As always, any comments are most welcome :)
    DSC_0265.JPG

Seraphage, Warden, Jorgik and 4 others like this.
  9. Janf
    Chameleon Skink

Janf Well-Known Member

@n810 Concerning the tip about the point pen - I'd like to order one to try it out. There are a lot of different types though. I presume I want a very thin one, but I'm not sure at all which to pick - which thickness are you using? :)

10. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

You made a good choice with that brown! Looks fantastic. Really awesome so far. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Janf likes this.
  11. SlanntaClause
    Carnasaur

SlanntaClause Well-Known Member

The brown works really well and the yellow underbelly is nice :D

Janf likes this.
  12. Janf
    Chameleon Skink

Janf Well-Known Member

Bowser likes this.
  13. SlanntaClause
    Carnasaur

SlanntaClause Well-Known Member

Can't wait to see more on it it does seem like it needs something more but I can't say what as I don't know the colour pallets etc - but the colour scheme at the moment is really nice for a salamander

Janf likes this.
  14. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

Nice choice of colours! Looks good so far. How are you going to do the sail on his back? I would suggest some red and yellow, to give it a fiery look...

Janf and SlanntaClause like this.
  15. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Thinnest you can find man. :writing:

Janf likes this.
  16. Janf
    Chameleon Skink

Janf Well-Known Member

Thank you @tom ndege! I was thinking to do them kind of a bone color like the original theme but now I'm actually not sure. The fiery look is a good idea and could look really cool. I have to think about this one :D

tom ndege and Bowser like this.
  17. Janf
    Chameleon Skink

Janf Well-Known Member

I will buy the 0,2 mm pen. It's the thinnest on the webpage! :)

Bowser likes this.
  18. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

I do like the molten lava/ hot magma look to this, it's a really cool look.

Janf and tom ndege like this.
  19. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Amazing work! I like you unique cold ones so far, they are beautifully painted!

Also your salamander and its base look great!

20. Janf
    Chameleon Skink

Janf Well-Known Member

Thank you @Warden! It was a very fun project to do since I never paint the same troops different colors. So it was a breath of fresh air with the variety! I just have the riders to do still but they have to wait until I finish my Salamander :)

Bowser likes this.