1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Janf's Painting Blog

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Janf, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Janf
    Chameleon Skink

Janf Well-Known Member

Here are my old Old Bloods ;) I painted these a long time ago. My father helped me painting the one on the left. It was one of my first characters and I couldn't really paint that well back then. It was my best looking model at the time we finished it (he painted most of it actually) and I have never wanted to repaint it since because of the memory. The one on the right I painted myself some years later when I had gotten better at painting. This was right about the time I figured it was time to give my models some shadows. Basically I spray painting the entire model chaos black and just tried my best not to get the further painting in the recesses. I was very proud of this one aswell but I am really happy I've learned the proper technique of shading now!
    DSC_0638.JPG
    DSC_0639.JPG

Here are my Terradon Riders! They are all painted some time after the second Old Blood. I still remember the awesome feeling of opening these in blister packs :D They have been without bases for all their lives until I decided to fix them up as a small project while I finished my Salamanders. This was actually a great practice for me in doing bases and trying to find the theme I like.
    The Skinks aswell as their pterosaurs are of cause red crested (except one - I don't know what happened there) :)
    DSC_0652.JPG
    DSC_0700.JPG
    DSC_0703.JPG
    DSC_0704.JPG
    DSC_0707.JPG
    DSC_0709.JPG

Comments are as always very welcome and I will upload pictures of Kroq-Gar soon :)

SlanntaClause, Warden, Jorgik and 2 others like this.
  2. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

I really like the one you and your dad painted! That classic two tone blue is great, the eye is very well done for beginners. Your comparison model is technically better, great detail fantastic colours and shading, but the one on the left has a certain charm to him! The terradons look great too! The patterns on the wings are awesome!

NIGHTBRINGER and Janf like this.
  3. Janf
    Chameleon Skink

Janf Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot @Bowser. You're always quick on the replies - it's awesome :) The classic two tone blues are Ice Blue and Enchanted Blue. I really miss those old colors but I've actually kept my old Ice Blue to use as a highlight color since it's quite lighter than Temple Guard Blue which I use as primary skin color now :)

Bowser likes this.
  4. Janf
    Chameleon Skink

Janf Well-Known Member

The final piece of my army that I haven't showed off yet is none other than Ancient Scar Leader Kroq-Gar (gotta love that name :p). I spent so much time painting this guy and he holds a special place in my heart by direct consequence! And also because he is so cool! I'm probably one of the very few people who actually like the old model better. The new carnosaur model is awesome, don't get me wrong, but I really feel like this old sculpt is better. Maybe the new one is just too big for me and I'm frightened to paint it haha I don't know what it is :D
    Anyway here are pictures!
    DSC_0663.JPG
    DSC_0666.JPG
    DSC_0669.JPG
    DSC_0672.JPG
    DSC_0674.JPG
    I hope you like him! :)

5. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

That looks so cool! The way it looks like he's tramplimg down trees is awesome!

Janf likes this.
  6. Janf
    Chameleon Skink

Janf Well-Known Member

Thanks @Bowser! I actually wanted to add a lot more of the plastic plants but it ended up blocking the view too much of the actual model. So I settled with just the one behind him :)

Bowser likes this.
  7. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Looks great and your not the only one who prefers the older sculpt, quite a few on here do, me included.

Janf likes this.
  8. Janf
    Chameleon Skink

Janf Well-Known Member

Thank you @Crowsfoot! And I'm glad I'm not the only one! Personally I think what bothers me about the new one is the fact that I feel the snout or maybe the head as a whole on the new one is simply too short (compared to the rest of the dino's size at least). It makes it look a bit more like a vicious bear to me where the old one has a longer more predatory t-rex snout which just appeals to me more. I also love that the old one is metal. It's so heavy and it kind of makes it feel more badass :D With that said no hate on the current model, it's awesome and I'm definitely going to paint it one day! :)

Jorgik likes this.
  9. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

I liked the head of the old one better than the new one, its like they reversed the head-to-body size ration

Old carnosaur: small body, BIG HEAD
    new carnosaur: BIG BODY, small head

I would have preferred a slightly larger head on the newer model, considering how awesome the carnosaur's pose is I think it would have looked awesome. Maybe someday...

Janf likes this.
  10. Janf
    Chameleon Skink

Janf Well-Known Member

I completely agree @Warden!

The new body with the old head would be perfect in my opinion :D

Warden likes this.
  11. Janf
    Chameleon Skink

Janf Well-Known Member

I was just outbidded on a games day Slann on eBay. DAMN! As of yet I have never owned a Slann and I think it is about time I got one! :) They're just so iconic to the Lizardmen race I'm actually surprised I never bought one. And I just think the games day Slann is so cool with the alternate pose. Oh well better luck next time :D

Bowser likes this.
  12. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Yeah, those gamesday slann are great, but hard to come across!

Janf likes this.
  13. Janf
    Chameleon Skink

Janf Well-Known Member

They sure are. I've been trying to keep my eyes on eBay but they usually are sold for a steep price... Maybe I get lucky one day.
    Technically my previous post is incorrect. I do own a Slann. But he is dead ;) I have an unfinished Lord Kroak model somewhere I am sure but I just can't find him. I've searched through every single box of my old stuff, also those that weren't at all connected to Warhammer. I pretty much gave up the search a month ago. So yeah the Slann situation is grim. I can only hope for a sign from The Old Ones I guess ;)

Bowser and SlanntaClause like this.
  14. SlanntaClause
    Carnasaur

SlanntaClause Well-Known Member

Your Lord Kroak has gone to a better place......my collection ...mwhahaha

Jorgik and Bowser like this.
  15. Janf
    Chameleon Skink

Janf Well-Known Member

Jorgik, Bowser and SlanntaClause like this.
  16. Janf
    Chameleon Skink

Janf Well-Known Member

COLD ONE PROJECT (CONTINUED)

So after some very busy work days I've finally turned my attention back to my very neglected Cold One Riders.
    Here are pictures of the process I've made on my six guys. They are far from finished. The gold needs a second layer before the wash, the saddle is just a plain brown and a lot of details are missing aswell. Still I thought I'd post a couple of pics to show that they have not been forgotten ;)
    I've tried to make very light highlights (almost white) on their scales to see what it would be like - I'm still learning :) The shields are very red right now with orange highlights.

I would like to made the saddles look very worn and used but I have no experience with acheiving this effect. Do I just drybrush with a lighter brown? Any tips/suggestions for a worn leather look?

DSC_0672.JPG
    DSC_0673.JPG
    DSC_0674.JPG
    DSC_0676.JPG
    DSC_0680.JPG

Bowser, Warden, Jorgik and 1 other person like this.
  17. Janf
    Chameleon Skink

Janf Well-Known Member

And a little teaser picture of the upcoming project I will try to do. I really want a Slann, but what's a Slann without his loyal (and super awesome looking) Temple Guard? I've acquired 20 6th edition Guards since they are my favourite version. The newest models are also awesome no doubt but I feel like the old ones look scarier and stronger. I do adore the weapons of the newest ones though. Maybe I like the old ones better because they are heavy and not plastic (I do love me my metal models!). I'm aiming to do this first as a "quick" project to get them finished in a good fashion but not perfect. After that I will come back to them and take my time with them :) The reason I'm doing this is because I have a match planned with a friend of mine soon-ish and I really want to bring these bad boys to the table (in a painted stage of cause) and I just don't see myself having time to paint individual scales and such before the match. I will still do my best though, just with a little less time...
    Anyway the point is that I've painted this guy!!! :D I really need to control the amount of text I write for these posts. I hope you like him.
    DSC_0683.JPG

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
    Bowser, Warden, n810 and 3 others like this.
  18. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

Nice! What I do with the worn leather is paint it very dark (using shades) and then with a yellowish brown paint very thin lines around to simulate cuts. It seems to work for me ;)

Janf likes this.
  19. Janf
    Chameleon Skink

Janf Well-Known Member

Hey @Jorgik thank you for the tip! That sounds good to me. I will be sure to try that out. I don't really have a yellowish brown but that can easily be mixed :D

Jorgik likes this.
  20. Janf
    Chameleon Skink

Janf Well-Known Member

Soo anyone else excited for the Lizards' appearance in Total War Warhammer?
    I've been playing it a lot lately, but I'd pretty much pay anything to lead Kroq-Gar through Lustria with an army of cold ones :D
    It will probably be a while for their release but one can always look forward with anticipation :)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
    n810 and SlanntaClause like this.