1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Contest January-February 2018 Short Story Contest

Discussion in 'Fluff and Stories' started by Scalenex, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

The theme for our 13th seasonal short story contest provided by @Killer Angel is probably one no one saw coming : "The Power of Music."

The Rules

-We would like you to try to keep your story between 500 and 2000 words. I am requiring that entries do not exceed 2400 words. This is counting title, poems, quotes, any add-ons. If I get a submission that exceeds 2400 words, I will trim it till it meets the limit, and you may not like what I choose to cut.
    -Your name must appear nowhere with the story. There is no point in having an anonymous competition based on skill if we know whose entry is whose.
    -You must send your story via private message to Scalenex before midnight (US Central time) on January 31st.
    -The story must be new. No dragging up a story you wrote months or years ago.
    -No plagiarism. This means no stealing a story verbatim. You are free to use characters or settings from other works including other writer's fluff pieces and past short story contest entries.
    -The story must involve Lizardmen (or Seraphon or Salamanders or Saurian Ancients) at least a little
    -The story must stick roughly within the theme, at least a little.
    -No comics or illustrations. This is a short story contest. Visuals are limited to fonts and text colors. We have regular contests for visual art.
    -Only one entry allowed per person.

I will do my best to providing proofreading and general advise to writers who ask for it though real life is full of many challenges for me right now. If you wish me to provide a detailed edit, please try to get your draft to me at least a week before the deadline. You are welcome, nay encouraged, to ask anyone else you wish for help or advice.

Once again, the winner of this contest has the honor of choosing the next contest theme if they so choose. This time because I do not want to be saddled with coming up with a last minute topic. If the winner does not give me a topic within a week of winning, I will pass this burden honor on to the runner-up.

If you want to talk about the theme or your eagerness to write or read something. Please do so below!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  2. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

As you can easily guess, I've already my story in mind since a month.
    A pity that RL strangled me, so I still have to write a single word.

Hope this (challenging) theme will inspire you all to write something unusual and entertaining! :)

Ritual likes this.
  3. discomute
    Terradon

discomute Well-Known Member

I really like this theme, will put people out of their comfort zone. That is when you get the most memorable stories!

4. Scolenex
    Ripperdactil

Scolenex Well-Known Member

Hopefully not TOO many people will be willing to get out of their comfort zone. I understand if the 13th entry wins the 13th contest, the Horned Rat will raise and consume all cheese..or maybe all bamboo. I'm sure which, but I cannot take the risk.

Ritual, thedarkfourth and discomute like this.
  5. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

spawning of Bob Well-Known Member

I idead! (That is to say, I had an idea) Only one year of contemplation required.

Now... Discipline, focus and excessive amounts of single malt!

Ritual, Essmir, pendrake and 3 others like this.
  6. Killer Angel
    Slann

Ritual likes this.
  7. discomute
    Terradon

discomute Well-Known Member

Thanks to my 7000 word research paper (plus my other subjects) I have zero inclination to write anything. I can't wait until this degree is over and I can enjoy my writing once more.

Ritual likes this.
  8. thedarkfourth
    Kroxigor

thedarkfourth Well-Known Member

REJOICE!

And lo, in the time of great sadness, when the story competitions were undersubscribed and the art comps long forgotten - as the priests and chieftans of Lustria had given up all hope - a bob of old came thence among them, and he spaketh words of council, saying, "I idead". And verily the lizards gave great praise unto the Old Ones, rejoicing in the tidings of this unforeseen reawakening of the great plan. And there were many in that time who did mutter and talk amongst themselves, saying "could it be he might do a pithy cartoon to celebrate his return?" And there were others who did asketh the great bob for tidings of his travels beyond the lands of Lustria.

This is the word of the Old Ones.

9. Essmir
    Chameleon Skink

Essmir Well-Known Member

Is it bad luck if I enter for a 13:th time?

10. Scalenex
    Slann

Entry period is half way done and I had no early entries. That better mean everyone is working on polishing their masterpieces.

Paradoxical Pacifism and Ritual like this.
  11. Killer Angel
    Slann

I still have to finish it, but i am pretty sure i will complete it soon

Ritual likes this.
  12. Killer Angel
    Slann

The first draft of my story is finished!
    I will polish it and then I'll submit for an edit by @Scalenex... unless someone else offers for a service of proofreading / constructive advices. ;)

Ritual likes this.
  13. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

I still have an idea. It has been honed. But not so much written. When is the entry date?

Ritual likes this.
  14. Killer Angel
    Slann

It should be january the 31th, midnight.
    Hurry! ;)

Ritual likes this.
  15. Scalenex
    Slann

midnight January 31st. I am working on my own last minute entry. For a hint, mine is the one with childish typos.

Ritual likes this.
  16. Killer Angel
    Slann

Well, I have submitted the final version of my story. :)

Ritual likes this.
  17. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

I have inserted my own deliberate errors just to confuse everyone. Can't get more childish than that!

Paradoxical Pacifism and Ritual like this.
  18. Scalenex
    Slann

We'll see, I'm still waiting on yours Bob.

Last minute entries are finally coming in, but we still have more time (just under 24 hours to get more last minute entries). If you need a couple extra hours, I can accommodate this if you PM me, but nothing crazy.

EDIT: I may have to put in some extra time at work tomorrow which will have the downside of delaying me posting the contest entries but the upside of giving people a few more hours to write.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    Ritual likes this.
  19. Scalenex
    Slann

You guys had me scared we'd have a small contest but the entries have been piling in the last 24 hours. Still have 7 hours to go, we have quite a way to go to hit 13 still.

Paradoxical Pacifism likes this.