1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jim's new seraphon army

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Jimshaman, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Jimshaman
    Jungle Swarm

Jimshaman New Member

so after a horrific first post in the army list section, I thought I would start a painting blog to try and motivate me through the army painting process. First model painted for the list is a carno, thought I would start big and take it from there.
    Really looking for some c&c out of this thread as I go along painting the army and I've very thick skinned (nearly as much as a bast) so be as harsh as you want to help me improve. So without further ado let me introduce you to Richard.
    IMG_0154.JPG IMG_0155.JPG

2. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

That looks pretty good already.

The barren base is an interesting contrast to the lush bases you often see with Seraphon, and I like the structure.
    Nothing to really complain about concerning the Carno either, except two things:
    A very minor thing is the red if the mouth. In my opinion it is too...red? I think making it a bit darker would look better next to the yellow. I like the rest of the paint scheme though.
    And the only bigger thing that stands out because the rest of the model is really pretty good: There is a very visible gap where the right hand of the Carno meets the arm. I know those are hard to spot early (and I am aware that my own stuff is full of that stuff) but it disrupts the lines of the model a bit.
    The trick I use to avoid that is using a bit more glue when assembling the model and working a bit more slowly, pressing the parts together to minimize the gaps.

Hope this helps. :)

3. The Zekenator
    Skink

The Zekenator Member

Very nice Carno!! The two colors you have chosen fits very well together.
    Can't wait to see more! :D:D

4. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Nothing wrong with your first post ;)

Right I'm not a pro painter but here is what I think and adding on to what @Aginor has already stated.

Not enough contrast between the sections on the carny, the green needs to be brighter or the tan lighter.

The shade on the gold is too heavy in places obscuring detail.

Teeth and claws lack definition they need to be darker at the base.

Straps need more contrast they are hardly noticeable atm.

The rider needs more contrast again scales darker or skin lighter.

The spear needs a spot colour painting the jewel will bring it too life, same with the gauntlet, go green as that ties in with the carny.

Spot highlights will really help, look at adding them to the tips of the scales, knuckles, etc.

The model is really good and I've just tried to be picky (mine look the same tbh) as that is what you asked for :)

Scalenex and Aginor like this.