1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog JORGIK´s work table

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Jorgik, Jan 28, 2016.

1. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

Good luck!

Jorgik likes this.
  2. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

Thanks guys! I hope it´ll be brief!

Toltecatl likes this.
  3. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Good luck and you should really think about what @StealthKnightSteg said about doing commissions for the scenery.

Jorgik, Bowser and StealthKnightSteg like this.
  4. Toltecatl
    Razordon

Toltecatl Well-Known Member

Yep, all the best with your exams.. We've all been there and it hurts lol

Jorgik likes this.
  5. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Best of luck on your exams. Definitely not a fun time but it will be worth it once you get through it all.

Jorgik likes this.
  6. Sealterbloind
    Cold One

Sealterbloind Active Member

Wow, that's some amazing terrain you have done there! :O Really nice, and those pictures look awesome! I also like your army's color scheme. :) I especially love your Bastiladon, I don't think that I would have seen any with a purple color scheme like yours. It looks really neat combined with the yellow crystal on the Solar Engine.~

Can't wait to see what you'll do next.

Jorgik likes this.
  7. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

Thanks! I actually happened to get a cool match of colours :D, it was not planned. And it was very simple too, just some washes, and the gravity built up the gradient for me :D.

tom ndege likes this.
  8. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

So, as you can see from the title, I finally came back!
    I finished the first 3 toughest weeks of exams and just have next week and then the last exam on 6th June. Until then, my posting rate will be moderate and after that I hope I´ll be able to go crazy! :D

Now onto the interesting stuff:
    I continued to work on the extra 8 trees and added some of the cast rocks to them :artist:.

IMAG1571.jpg

It was extremely easy to attach them. I mixed some more of woodland scenics´ lightweight hydrocal (which is the same stuff I used for casting the rocks, but this time a bit thicker) and applied it directly onto the base. The excellent thing about this hydrocal is that is still accepts water after dry, which means that attaching is extremely easy (I had no idea about this, so it was a nice surprise :p). What I did is put a blob down on the base, get some water onto the rocks face to reactivate it and then just pressed it against the hydrocal blob. Then used some extra mixture to hide gaps and that sort of stuff.
    The best thing about the reactivating part is that it allowed me to mix two different rocks, and once mixed it becomes pretty hard to tell them apart :cigar:.

IMAG1572.jpg
    IMAG1573.jpg

I applied some more rocks to other trees, and I forgot to take the picture :oops:.

I let that dry overnight (actually one week, but it was dry overnight ;)) and then I went to painting them, also with woodland scenics´ liquid pigments I believe they are called. I followed the instructions on this video because the label on the pot didn´t really tell to what ratios I should mix the paint:

I even made my own applying brushes and mixing pots :rolleyes:.

IMAG1581.jpg

The brushes are a toothpick attacked to the foam pieces from the old GW monster case with hot glue ;). I mixed very little amounts to not waste too much paint as i only had to paint 4 inches squared maximum. The colours I used are yellow ocher as a secondary colour, burnt umber as secondary and then main colour and black.

IMAG1583.jpg

This is how it looks after the yellow ocher and burnt umber with the first coat of glue were applied. I noticed that it is possible to make lighter highlights by drybrushing with a paint-less brush while the colors are still drying before the first glue coat.

Last edited: May 21, 2016
    Warden, n810, SlanntaClause and 2 others like this.
  9. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

Sorry guys for double post but I find it easier to just make a new one :).
    So I added the black and not totally happy with how it turned out :confused:.

IMAG1585.jpg

They look Ok but not as I expected. The black has formed patches and concentrations in some spots. It doesn't look too bad (in fact some rocks have black spots like those) but I´d have liked it more with an even coat. I guess that was the glue´s fault (well mine but you know what I mean :joyful:). I thought it would´t affect the colours but then I realized that it provably acts as a sealant, once applied it doesn´t allow more water in the rocks (which is good, because if not the rocks would keep on activating over and over again). So lesson learnt: glue only after the painting is finished :).

Some close ups so you guys can see it better ;)

IMAG1587.jpg

IMAG1586.jpg

In this last one it´s really easy to see, just look at the bottom border. You can perfectly appreciate where the sealant glue reached, and the huge difference it makes (also can see that next time when I don´t apply sealant I need to go softer at the black :D)

As I said not too bothered about this as it is not that much of a problem. It´s also nice to see that the stones won´t soften when I start sculpting the roots on them. I´ll just need to be careful not to spill clay all around the place :p.

Hope you guys enjoy it :). Next time will be the clay work! yay! :confused:

10. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

I think it's really not a big problem... The rocks look good! ;)

n810, Crowsfoot and Jorgik like this.
  11. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

Yeah I´m not too bothered by it, but next time I´ll do it properly :eek:

tom ndege and Crowsfoot like this.
  12. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

You rock!

Also your bases are turning out as stunning as always. Really looking forward to more pictures!

Jorgik likes this.
  13. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

Thanks!! :shamefullyembarrased::shamefullyembarrased: Pics will come when I finish the clay work on the trees. Already started with the trunks of the non-rocky trees as I don´t want to spoil the rocks :D. I´ll post some pics when they are fully finished ;)

BeardyGecko, Warden and Bowser like this.
  14. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

Ok guys long due update!! After finishing my last exam on the 6th I´m back with full strength!! I did some more work on the trees, basically the tree trunks, and then sculpted some more on my stegadon for @Rikard ´s sculpting challenge of June.

First the trees:
    Nothing special. As I said basic tree trunk structure is down, and quite a lot thicker than the others. I thought the trunks were too thin and then they turned out to be too thick :joyful:. I guess they´ll be the fat trees of my set :p.
    Also worth mentioning my small cheat to not get clay on the rocks while putting the clay on. Just some transparent plastic foil around them . I took it off before it all dried so it didn´t get stuck.

IMAG1589.jpg

IMAG1590.jpg

Then just used some sculpting tool to knock that border flat so it would´t stand out. Don´t have a picture of that sorry :eek:

The stegadon:
    Sculpting wise, I just added muscles to the front right leg and some more scales to the tail and the top of the right rear leg. Now it looks like a dragon but I´ll eventually sculpt more scales :).

Stegadon sculpting.jpg

I think I added some too big muscles, but well, he´s got to support the whole castle and all his own weight right? :p:joyful:

Now I also finished magnetizing all the parts (All the bits and where they were going to go are posted on page 2). This included sculpting feet around the magnets so I could fit them and other gap filling, but overall I´m really happy with how it came out (pictures of all the options are on the next post). I am now just missing to make a separate base so I can have the skink chief on foot, but I can call the stegadon itself done :woot:.
    The feet:

Sculpted feet.jpg

A bit oversized but that was the only way to fit the magnets, plus they won´t be that visible when the stegadon is done, so pretty happy with them :).

Also here is the skink chief standing on his throne with the different weapon options (also magnetized), and I am planning to add a blowpipe to him, just to have the option, I don´t think I´ll use it anyways :p.

Skink Chief WO.jpg

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
    Warden, Toltecatl, Bowser and 3 others like this.
  15. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

Really nice! I'm also working on feet... For my conversion entry... ;)

Jorgik likes this.
  16. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

Continuing...

So here are the pics of the completed options arrangements:

Option 1 - Normal stegadon

Option 1.jpg

Option 2 - Skink chief on stegadon (used the hand weapon on this one)

Option 2.jpg

Option 3 - Ancient stegadon

Option 3.jpg

Option 4 - Skink chief on ancient stegadon (again hand weapon)

Option 4.jpg

Option 5 - Ancient stegadon with engine of the gods

Option 5.jpg

I have to say that my two personal favorites are skink chief on stegadon and the ancient stegadon with the engine of the gods, I´m really excited to get painting, but that won´t happen in a long time :wacky:
    Also I did miss the option to make the skink chaman on stegadon. It was just way too hard for me to be able to place the seat alone or with the engine though it, so I decided to not make it more complicated than it already was and went the easier way and just stuck the chaman on a base. But overall really happy with it, as I´ve already said :D

So hopefully this explains my lack of updates. This has been a very productive weekend for me so really pleased with that too, and I just hope to get more posts soon! Tomorrow I´ll be going on my end-of-the-year trip so will be off for three days but then I´ll come back with more stuff done!!

Hope you guys like it as much as I do :p:D
    Jorgik

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
    Blastoize, kubapj, Sudaj and 9 others like this.
  17. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

Wow @tom ndege , thanks!. You didn´t even let me write the other post up :joyful:.
    Edit: Proof reading I noticed one of my best typing mistakes ever :p
    Edited it already :D

tom ndege likes this.
  18. Toltecatl
    Razordon

Toltecatl Well-Known Member

Nice, very nice as usual :) it's pretty rare to see someone taking pains to magnetize a model and make it rearrangeable to such an extent. I see you've kept it busy!! Keep going at it :D

Jorgik and Bowser like this.
  19. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

Yeah I really wanted to make the most of this model :p

20. Stefblo
    Saurus

Stefblo Active Member

Really nice stegadon! Your sculpting abilities are very good :)

Jorgik likes this.