1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog JORGIK´s work table

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Jorgik, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

Hello everyone. I have been wandering around this forum for a while, and seeing other people´s personal painting blogs I decided to make one of my own, so you guys can give me tips, advice, ideas, inspiration by your own work, as well as feedback and of course to show off a little :p

About me: My real name is Jorge, I´m from Spain and I´m currently studying. I got into the hobby in 2010 and started with space marines but didn´t really get to play a lot (once or twice a year). Then family circumstances made me move to Poland, where at the school there was a Warhammer fantasy club. So following the lizardmen update of the summer of 2013 I decided to start my lizardmen army at Christmas, abandoning my space marines ;). Now I´ve come back to Spain and brought the lizards with me. Hope you like them!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

INDEX
    Page 1
    • Jungle-path section building - Parts 1 and 2
    • Test trees building - Parts 1 and 2
    Page 2
    • Test trees building - Part 3
    • Army shot - here
    • Converted ripperdactyls close ups - here
    Page 3
    • Converted stegadon - Part 1
    • Test trees building - Parts 4 and 5
    Page 4
    • Test trees building - Parts 6 and 7
    Page 5
    • Cinematic pictures on my terrain :p - here
    Page 6
    • Test trees building - Finished
    • Woodland Scenics´ rock casting, test - Part 1 (casting)
    Page 7
    • Woodland Scenics´ rock casting, test - Part 2 (attaching and painting)
    • Converted stegadon - Part 2 + magnetization
    Page 8
    • Army display table - Parts 1, 2 and 3
    Page 9
    • Army display table - Parts 4 and 5 (finished)
    Page 10
    • Redesigning of the army, names, fluff and paint schemes! - here
    • Full paint scheme step by step - here
    • Armies on parade - Week 1: skirmishers skinks
    Page 11
    • ArmyPainter matt spray test & objective markers - here
    Page 12
    • Completed Armies on Parade 2016 - here
    • Completed Saurus regiment with Giant standard - here
    Page 13
    • Completed gorechosen Exalted Deathbringer - here
    • Temple Guard unit - part 1
    • Chameleon skink test model - here
    • Repainted Troglodon - here
    • Christmas goodies! - here
    • Some rambling about 40k 8th edition & primaris - here

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To start off the blog:

Right now I am working on making LOTS of scenery for my army (got bored of playing on flat tables :D). This includes:
    • A pyramid - just testing colour schemes and that stuff - Done
    • 4 small watchtowers - Done
    • 4 spawning pools - 2/4 Done
    • 4 stone path sections - 1st in progress
    • 5 path ending sections - Yet to do
    • 1 path river-crossing section - Yet to do
    • 7 or 8 river sections - Yet to do
    • 8 small trees - 1st done
    • 11 medium size trees - 1st done
    • 6 big trees - 1st done
    • 4 fallen trees (to use as walls) - Yet to do
    • Some bushes with the leftover materials
    So as you can see I have quite a set ;)

Right now I just finished building the first path section, so here you go:

IMAG1401.jpg

While I waited for the sand to dry I started working on my jungle trees. I just made the basic wire armature, to which I´ll be adding more wire and then a coat of air-drying clay:

IMAG1403_1.jpg

As I said above any feedback, ideas or whatever is very welcome. Hope you enjoy this little bit.
    Jorgik

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

:artist: nice technique with the tree trunks.

3. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

Thanks. I actually saw it in the how to build scenery book from GW. For the other trees I calculated I need 30 meters of wire :grumpy: :hungover:

4. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Think I have that book, do they wrap the wire with brown insulation tape?

5. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

I think they put some kind of putty or paper with PVA. As I said I'll put clay on it because it's cheaper.

6. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

Hey guys here a little update for you. I didn´t really have time to do anything this weekend as I have a history test tomorrow. :confused:

IMAG1407.jpg
    As you can see I´ve added sand in between the cracks. When I started doing it I decided applying PVA by bush would be a nightmare, as the brush wouldn't fit in between, so what I did was pour very watered down PVA onto it so it would naturally flow by itself. The problem was that there were some areas where the PVA accumulated, and when I poured all my sand on top it soaked the PVA in, and so patches of sand have formed. Does it look odd? At first, I thought it looked horrible but now I´m kind of thinking that that could actually happen, so I don't know if I should leave it as it is or scratch it off.

The trees have not received any further advance as I ran out of wire and couldn't find any in the 4 building stores I went to. So I´ll have to wait until I find out how to get some to continue the trees.

7. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Looks really good so far.

8. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

Thx. now 4 more to go :woot:

9. The Red Devil
    Stegadon

The Red Devil Defender of Hexoatl Staff Member

It looks good the way it is, if you want it to pop up even more what you can do is add small grass tufts at the areas the sand accumulated. This is what normally happen if sand/dirt get a foothold on a path, right after some kind of grass/moss start growing in it.

deer riffs and Crowsfoot like this.
  10. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

So then I'll leave it as it is. I hadn't thought about grass/moss. It's a great idea I'll certainly do it.
    Thanks for the feedback

Crowsfoot likes this.
  11. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

Hey, so here the next update for you.
    I started to plan the next 3 path sections, just drew the image. I didn´t start yet the river crossing one, I´ll do it once I have both the paths and the rivers done.

IMAG1413.jpg

Ignore the measurements on the middle path (they´re wrong). I have to ask you guys if you have any ideas or suggestions for breaking the monotony of the path, just like I did with the previous one with the catapult stone and dead horse. I have already thought about making some fireplace or a pile of weapons, but that´s it. I have lizardmen bits, a box of skeleton warriors and the empire men that look like pirates, which I bought to put dead on the scenery, so feel free to include them in the ideas :p. I´m trying to keep this details low-lying so the troops can still be placed on them, so nothing higher than 1cm (about 1/3 inch).

I came across another problem that will slow this down: I ran out of stones and went to the shop to get some more and there weren´t any, so I´ll have to wait until they get some more :confused:.
    Until then, I don't know what to do. I may start with the other scenery. I´ll see.

So yes, please post any ideas you have to make these look better. :D

Edit: One question, do you guys think if I applied the clay onto the trees already it would look good, or should I wait for getting more wire to make it thicker?

Bowser likes this.
  12. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Why not make scatter material on it's own base so you can place it were you want,

Why not try one tree and see how it looks but I reckon your good to go on them, also are you taking plenty of pics and a material list, hoping your thinking about a tutorial on the stuff your making?.

13. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

Yeah scatter stuff could work (that's how I'm gonna do the trees), but I wanna make details that require movement/lack/extra stones to be made on the actual path to break the monotony. Maybe I'll do stuff separately so they can be placed anywhere on the battlefield and maybe serve as objective markers.

About the tutorial, I'll sure do it. I can make it about the trees, and you guys will see the process of the path (which is basically glueing stone on XD).
    Thx for the feedback:D

14. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

You could have some tree roots breaking through the path pavers...
    [​IMG]

Jorgik likes this.
  15. Crowsfoot
    Slann

That's a good idea

16. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Added example ^ ;)

17. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

Oh yes, great idea again thanks!!

n810 likes this.
  18. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

So more about trees...
    Now the tutorial on making them as requested. I tried to be as specific and clear and possible and to cover all I could think about so no doubt arises, but if they do, please ask and I´ll either edit the post (will write if I do on a new message), write it on a separate message or both.

For making the trees I used (so far) wood for bases, metal wire of 1.5mm diameter (for the basic structure, the one to hold weight), metal wire of 0.8mm diameter (for branches) and as tools a jigsaw (cut out bases), hand sander, power sander, sanding block, hand drill (with 1.5mm and 1mm drill), a ruler, and one of the most important tools: clippers (I used two, small and big).

Bases
    The wood sheet you have at the bag of your garage covered of dust will perfectly work, if not, some wood that keeps its shape.

Bad for the job
    IMAG1429.jpg

Good for the job
    IMAG1428.jpg

It is obvious the thickness also affects :nailbiting:. Basically, if you can bend it with your hands... not for you.

So next, once you have cut out the bases (I used a jigsaw) and have
    bevelled them however you want them, mark where you want the centre of the tree to be placed and drill out holes at angle so when you turn around the wires they won't fall off (you can also glue them, but I'm impatient and the superglue didn´t dry fast enough ;)). I recommend the angle to be maximum 45º from the horizontal line (never steeper or the wires won´t hold). As this is the basic structure I used the 1.5mm drill.

IMAG1398.jpg

As you can see I drilled out 6 holes trying to make them lie on the same distance from the tree centre. I made 4 holes for the small tree, 6 for the medium and 8 for the big one. These amounts are both for support strength and thickness. Then I inserted the wires: 12cm-long for small, 15cm for medium and 18cm for big (I´d vary these lengths just a bit to make uneven trees).

[Here you can see what I meant by drilling at an angle, although I made it way too steep and now I can take the trees off if I pull, so make sure you do it right because It´ll become a pain if it moves later on]

IMAG1399.jpg

So next is bend them together and once they are close take all the tips with the clippers and hold them in place while you turn the base around until you feel you have a strong tree trunk (usually when it doesn´t turn anymore :D). Note that the wires should be rolled to the tip, so when you unroll them to make the branches you will get more natural shapes. About the branches, I would make no less than 3 main branches and no more than 5. What I did is roll two wires together to make a main branch and then stop halfway and shape each separately to make the main branch divide onto two secondary branches. I recommend to search pictures of branches to try to make natural shapes (diagrams are very useful as they usually show the branches through the leaves).

Casa árbol y ramas.jpg
    This is what I mean: they start separating from the trunk and gradually get ¨flat¨, not going out the trunk perpendicular (which was what I tried first and looked so bad).
    As you can see in the picture below my branches don´t really follow the pattern I just described, but I´ll solve it once I get the clay on it.

IMAG1403_1.jpg
    I hope you can see the ¨main¨ branches and the secondary.

I did some further advance on the trees but I´ll leave that for tomorrow as I´m running out of time and still need to get my Warband done for a Mordheim game tomorrow :).

I hope it´s good enough and you guys enjoyed it.

See ya

Bowser, tom ndege, Crowsfoot and 3 others like this.
  19. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Very good and I will be trying this very soon ;)

20. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

Hello everyone so here´s the continuation of the tutorial. The same as the first part, If any doubt or issue or feedback, please post it.

So...
    Once the basic structure of the tree is done, it´s time to add small branches. For that I´ll be using the 0.8mm diameter wire as it will allow me to make thinner branches and doesn´t really have to hold that much weight. Luckily enough, the 0.8mm wire is quite brighter than the one I used for the basic structure, so I think it will be easy to see.

To start, drill holes like for the basic structure wires. The angles will need to be slightly smaller (closer to the base) and if possible a bit deeper (1cm is more than enough). This is to make sure that the wire keeps in place when you start to turn it around, pulling it tight and basically shaping it. I recommend drilling the holes close to the main wires but not as close to the centre (I mean make them further away but not too much), and between two of the 1.5mm wires, rather than behind each to avoid encountering them when drilling the hole. Something like this:

IMAG1422.jpg

From now on, I highly recommend inserting one wire at a time and work on it until finished, and then go on to the next one. This is a slow process, but will for sure give better results (and it´s tidier: it´s not fun when you twist the wire to shape and the others get in the way). This is when it was important to have the wires attached at an angle, as if the basic structure doesn´t hold in place the shaping and stretching will be a nightmare. To shape the wire, it is very important you do it following the turning of the basic structure. If not, the tree will be bulky, irregular and basically bad-looking.

IMAG1420.jpg
    Following

IMAG1421.jpg
    Not following

I recommend having the same amount of 0.8mm wires than the 1.5mm ones, if not the tree looks with too few branches or too many in my opinion. Also, I recommend making the small branches on the top ¨main¨ branches first and then working your way down, rather than opposite; I think it keeps the tree cleaner. How you distribute them is your choice.

[And this is the difference between direction-following wires and direction-opposing wires, I guess there is no need to say which tree is which. The small one seems to be from Nurgle's garden :eek: - first attempt :D ]

IMAG1423.jpg

I think I´ll have to change the wires on the small one because I really don't like them.

Next post I´ll be applying the clay on them. I still need to figure out a way to do the buttresses.
    And then once the first 3 trees are finished I´ll bore you with WIPs of the other 23 - :confused:. Hopefully, I´ll manage to get other stuff done in between, but I can´t promise anything.
    One other thing: From this Saturday until next Thursday I´ll be away for skiing holidays, so I won´t be able to do any more progress, but I´ll still be able to post messages for questions, so that´s not a problem. I will try to post once again before the weekend.

Enjoy until the next post then.

LizardWizard and Bowser like this.