1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog JORGIK´s work table

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Jorgik, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

No not yet :D. Remember my huge list of scenery I posted at the start of the threat? Well, maybe after that project :joyful:... so not any time soon ;)

2. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

Time to get posting again!

So now as promised the finishing of the trees and some other stuff...

IMAG1535.jpg

IMAG1536.jpg

Simple stuff here. First off I hot glued some plastic plants to the base and when they were dry I applied two light washes of agrax earthshade to remove that shine that plastic plants come with, and also darken them. I also glued some bamboo I made (wooden rods painted up as explained in the how to make scenery for wargaming book). Once all that was dry I glued down some bushes of clump foliage, then sealed them and afterwards stippled some nurgling green to break up the color monotony of the earth and also soften the sudden color change from the bushes to the ground. And that´s pretty much it :).

Also I started to work on the test for the hair spray I bought to put on the trees´ lichen. I heard it helps it last longer, but wanted to try it out first just in case. I just stuck some sand on a piece of plasticard I had laying around, then painted it and stuck stuff onto it. (the picture shows the test piece before I added any hairspray)

IMAG1533.jpg

What I wanted to test was how the hair spray looked on (from left to right) bare clump foliage, sealed clump foliage, a blob of wood PVA (the shiny stuff in between the clump foliage and the lichen), bare lichen, sealed lichen, and a plastic plant, painted on one side and unpainted on the other. So far the hairspray seems to have caused the earth, the PVA, and the plastic plant (on both sides) to end up glossy, but the clump foliage and lichen (both bare and sealed) look perfectly fine. I´m going to wait for about 2-3 more days and then I´ll decide what will I do, which will provably be to apply the hairspray only on the lichen on the tree tops.

I also started working on the next batch of trees :D:

IMAG1534.jpg

Until next update,
    Jorgik

Crowsfoot, Zenard, Warden and 3 others like this.
  3. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

This is so awesome! Definitely want to see more!

Jorgik likes this.
  4. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Excellent work, I was starting too worry that you where going to leave them with plain brown bases. :)

Jorgik and Bowser like this.
  5. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Great bases for your trees. Can't wait to see more!

6. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Amazing work! That is a beautiful tree base with lots of character; looking forward to seeing the rest of those trees completed!

Jorgik likes this.
  7. Zenard
    Cold One

Zenard Active Member

Such nice updates, can't wait for moar!

Got some closeups on the unfortunate fellow bellow the tree mate?

Jorgik likes this.
  8. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

Here you go @Zenard ;):

IMAG1541.jpg

IMAG1543.jpg

IMAG1542.jpg

As you can see I placed some bushes under his left leg to avoid having it levitating over the ground :D.

I have done more on the trees understructures so I´ll post a picture of them soon and also how did my little experiment work :p.

See you,
    Jorgik

Edit: I fully agree with @Bowser that @n810 should get the award of always strike first :joyful:, it didn´t even take him 20 seconds!

Warden, Zenard, Bowser and 1 other person like this.
  9. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

That is amazing, thanks @Zenard for asking for more pictures!

@Jorgik that base is amazing. Please continue to grace this forum with more examples of amazing terrain.

Small side question, but have you ever considered doing a Empire-themed army/group of human explorers venturing into the jungle realms of the Lizardmen? Based on how well you painted one dude, if you ever did a warband of some scruffy jungle treasure-hunters they would turn out fantastic.

10. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

I never thought about it, but I guess I could paint a small regiment and use them as slaves, I don´t know :joyful:

Warden and Toltecatl like this.
  11. mousekiller
    Saurus

mousekiller Well-Known Member

You really are a master with scenery! This is an amazing piece and has so much gaming character to it!

Warden, Toltecatl and Jorgik like this.
  12. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

Thanks so much! :p

Warden likes this.
  13. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

So time for an update!

I will start with the experiment. After the good results I had with my little test piece, I applied the hairspray only to my small tree to do a second test. I only applied it to the lichen, because as I said it made anything that had been painted glossy. I got good results with the tree test but I see absolutely no difference on the lichen itself. If has the exact same touch than what it was before I applied the spray. The only thing that it affected were the top parts of the branches that it hit.

IMAG1549.jpg

So with this result I decided to not use hairspray. Maybe it´s just the spray I got (there were about 10 from which to shoos a the shop, so I had no idea of which one should I have taken), but it doesn´t work. :confused:

I also continued working on the next batch of trees. I added the smaller branches onto them but did not feel like applying the clay, and I thought it would be cool to have some variation within the trees, apart from dead empire men laying on the base. SO what I decided to do was to simulate that some trees were growing on rocks, so I started casting rocks using the woodland scenics rock mould and their lightweight hydrocal.

IMAG1545.jpg

What I found out is first that I don´t know why I thought the plaster would dry in 45 minutes, and I was totally wrong :(. I think it takes them 36 hours, but I leave them 48 in case. So obviously what I did was pull them out before they were set, so they broke in half and provably lost some detail. Even tough, they are usable and actually at the end turned out to look pretty nice, and a quite high level of detail (tough I think not as much as if I had let them dry properly). Some of them actually broke horizontally, which I can´t understand how did it happened unless it was a water layer. Anyways, I corrected myself and casted the next ones. I don´t know how they turned out yet but I´ll post some pictures when I get them out of the mould.

IMAG1552.jpg

You can see what I meant with the horizontal division on the rock laying on the mould. I am reusing the broken bits I can´t fit anywhere, just turn them back to powder by smashing them and them just remix them. I am quite pleased at the moment even tough I screwed up on the first, but well, mistakes happen. Here´s a close pic of them.

IMAG1553.jpg

They have some air bubbles but I think that´s because I didn´t wetter the mould before pouring the mix. I´ll see if the new ones have air bubbles as well.

Once the rock are in place I will start adding clay on them, my question is, do you guys want me to post the WIP pics of these trees, or should I just post other stuff (like my rocks experiments and other scenery stuff). I guess I will either continue the pathways at the same time as the trees or start with the river, I don´t want to bore you guys :p:D.

Well enjoy until the next post,
    Jorgik

Crowsfoot, Toltecatl, Warden and 2 others like this.
  14. Toltecatl
    Razordon

Toltecatl Well-Known Member

just go ahead and post everything it's always cool to see what you're up to!

Jorgik likes this.
  15. StealthKnightSteg
    Razordon

StealthKnightSteg Well-Known Member

So how much for a commission work on some of those scenery things for say a medium filled table? :)

Jorgik likes this.
  16. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

HaHaHa, well I never thought about making commissions so I don´t know, but anyways I don´t think it would be legal, plus I take way too long :joyful:!

17. StealthKnightSteg
    Razordon

StealthKnightSteg Well-Known Member

It's worth waiting for!

Jorgik likes this.
  18. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

Well if you are interested, I could think about it :). But now I have exams coming up and after that I´ll move back to Spain. Maybe during the summer once I´m already settled. But as I said, it´s just a very big "maybe", because I´m still very influenced by school, family and random events that happen to me. ;) If I ever get around to do it I´ll be sure to contact you :).

StealthKnightSteg likes this.
  19. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

Ok guys I have been dead quiet on this threat and at least I wanted to let you know that I´ll provably be until about mid May the earliest. I am starting with my exam period and I have banned myself form any non-school related stuff to get studying. This means all warhammer time banned until at least I get my big block of exams out of the way :argh:. So basically tell you that I won´t be posting until about 1 month from now, although I´ll still check other threats and answer ;).
    The good thing about this is that after the exams I´ll have every single afternoon free since at school we won´t be doing anything that will include homework. So I´ll be able to post more often :woot:.
    Just to let you guys know :).

20. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Good luck on your exams!

Jorgik likes this.